Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thinking of leaving iOS if next iPhone is 4"? Have you ever had Android before?

• Only owned iPhones and will seriously look at leaving iOS

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • Only owned iPhones and will definitely leave iOS

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Have owned Android phone in past and will seriously look at leaving iOS

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • Have owned Android phone in past and will definitely leave iOS

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters

GBR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
Of those people (like myself) who are thinking about switching to an Android phone if the next iPhone doesn't have a larger screen, how many have never owned an Android phone before? My real question here is, has Apple finally ignored what people actually want enough that the Apple faithful (of which I consider myself) are willing to take a hard look elsewhere for a phone if the iPhone remains 4" with no larger option?

Myself, I've owned every generation iPhone and never liked android. However, I have recently used a GS4 part time for work (I don't own it) and absolutely love the 5" screen. If the iPhone 5S/6 this October is still a 4" screen I will more seriously then ever look into Android.

Last edited:

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
No one thinks the screen will be getting any bigger anytime soon.
I suggest you switch now, instead of later.

If you don't mind the android operating system go grab a GS4, they are always on sale too. :D

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
From your signature - you are truly in the Apple infrastructure. You are willing to give that all up for a larger screen? Personally, I find my 4s screen a little small but I really don't want a big phone such as my wife's android. I'd rather have my phone, iPad, and Mac Book work together than a bigger phone.

GBR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
From your signature - you are truly in the Apple infrastructure. You are willing to give that all up for a larger screen? Personally, I find my 4s screen a little small but I really don't want a big phone such as my wife's android. I'd rather have my phone, iPad, and Mac Book work together than a bigger phone.

That's the biggest thing keeping me with my iPhone right now is the ecosystem. And I do enjoy iOS quite a bit more than Android. However, I cannot express how much more I love the 5" GS4 screen over the iPhone screen. Everything is better on it and it makes my iPhone 5 screen feel squished and tiny when I switch back.

My real question here though is, has Apple finally ignored what people actually want enough that the Apple faithful (of which I consider myself) are willing to take a hard look elsewhere for a phone?

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I recently switched from iOS to Android. Got a HTC One. It is a little too large for one handed use (YMMV) but over all I do like it. I miss somethings about iOS but there are things that overcome that for me.

O O O

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2013
Socal
I owned every generation of iPhone except the 3GS. Was content with the iPhone 5 until my girlfriend got the S4. That screen is beautiful. Watching youtube on it was awesome. There is no lag and widgets are extremely helpful. If the new iPhone doesn't get a bigger screen then I'm moving on to the S4.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
My real question here though is, has Apple finally ignored what people actually want enough that the Apple faithful (of which I consider myself) are willing to take a hard look elsewhere for a phone?

Not FINALLY mate. Apple is famous for saying, Users Don't Know What They Want.

If u won't miss that seamless integration between IOS devices, then switch.

But there maybe hope, the rumoured "plastic" iPhone, may sports a bigger screen but u may have to ask your Chinese friends to get one 4ru.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Only iPhone I own/currently use is the iPhone 4.

No larger screen, I'm not upgrading. Hopefully Apple releases the iPhone 6 or I'll be looking at other options (Nexus 5).

mcrto

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Thought I wanted a bigger screen but after switching from galaxy note to iphone 5 to HTC one and finally back to 5, I can honestly say I don't even notice any difference in day to day use. And I'm a designer for a living so I'm constantly looking at graphics stuff on my phone as well.

DariusX

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
Garbage poll, where's the option for "I enjoy the iPhone and is okay with its size, therefore im sticking with iOS"?

This is like a ballot for an election with the only options being
"Would you like to vote for obama?
Would you most likely vote for obama?"

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Garbage poll, where's the option for "I enjoy the iPhone and is okay with its size, therefore im sticking with iOS"?

This is like a ballot for an election with the only options being
"Would you like to vote for obama?
Would you most likely vote for obama?"

The thread is called "For those who may buy Android if new iPhone doesn't have larger screen". If you're not considering switching, you're not in the group that's being polled.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
There are Android phones with smaller screens. However, they are low end or mid-range devices. If you want a high-end, Android phone, your choices are large screens or in some cases, even larger screens.

Exactly my point.

I'm only interested in smaller, higher end phones. For all the choice Android is purported to offer their hardware is lacking in variety.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

It depends on what various people are using. Email? Not a problem. Notes? Not a problem (cross platform apps). Contacts? Not a problem. I really can't think of a whole lot that is really limited to Apple's ecosystem, outside of media playback options. Even so, I personally use XBMC, which is available on Android as well as on iOS (with jailbreak). That takes care of any potential media playback issues.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
I have been dying to get away from iphones for over 2yrs now...I started getting tired of iOS around when the iphone 4 came out. I have had pretty much every flagship phone released on Android over the last 2yrs.

My biggest gripe is the AMOLED screens all the manufacturers are using on them. They are just absolutely horrible outside on a sunny day. Android OS itself is very nice and fluid in its stock form, but all these skins these companies are laying over it are just hideous. HTC has had some nice phones recently including the ONE that uses IPS screens. I probably would have switched to one if i had AT&T and not Verizon. I do plan on leaving Verizon for AT&T though when the iphone 5s comes out.

I absolutely love WP8 OS...all the phones released though other than the Nokia 1020 have been not worthy of switching to though. I am currently looking for a 1020 though on craigslist that i could trade my iphone 5 64gb for (+$100) I am also trying to sell the 64gb and then use those funds to buy the 1020 outright at full retail, Ill break even in the end or make a little. When the iphone 5s comes out I will be getting 3 or 4 of them with a new contract.

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
I owned every generation of iPhone except the 3GS. Was content with the iPhone 5 until my girlfriend got the S4. That screen is beautiful. Watching youtube on it was awesome. There is no lag and widgets are extremely helpful. If the new iPhone doesn't get a bigger screen then I'm moving on to the S4.

I saw the GS4 many times and this is the one that I would consider switching to when and if I ever want to give Android another try. Only thing I hate about Android is the slow or non existing software updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.