For those who own an iPad.. What kind of laptop should I buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by painholic, May 20, 2010.

1. painholic macrumors member

I recently decided to upgrade my old windows laptop and try out OSX for the

first time because I am having an amazing experience with my iPad and iPod

touch. I just fell in love with the apple products :)

Anyway, I'm thinking about MacBook pro 13 base model, macbook pro 15 i5,

and MacBook air.

I will be a college student next year, and I'm not likely to carry my

laptop around since I can use my iPad.

The most intensive work I will do with my computer is probably watching

720 or 1080 YouTube HD videos and iMovie.

I hear a lot of people saying that Macbook air is outdated, obsolete computer

But I probably would be happy with any speed of computer since my old laptop

has 1.5ghz CPU core2duo SL5xxx with intel gma graphics... Very slow :)

I love the look of MacBook air!

Seems like MacBook pro 15 is the best choice bUt I'm wondering what you

guys think! I just wish that pro 15 weighed about 4.5 lbs.. Although the laptop

I've been using weighs exact same amount+thicker+smaller screen.

Dan

Edit. Just realized that the title of topic is weird. Please understand since I'm using my iPad to type :)

2. AndrewCjDuong macrumors member

Haha. I fell in the exact same situation as you. Went all apple. iPhone, iPod, iPad. I use a MacBook Pro 13 inch the higher end model. I can't say I made a good choice. 13 inch is too small IMO and its not too much more for the 15 inch. I connect mine my 26" external monitor instead. I'd suggest getting the low end 15" model.

3. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Hie thee away to the Apple Store, and pick the one that best tickles your fancy. And wallet. Dont put a lot of stock in the advice you'll get from a herd of strangers. Including this.

Caveat emptor is ultimately a solo responsibility. And btw, I managed to write this on an iPad, without double-spacing. Just sayin'

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

5. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Cannibalistically, yes.

6. henhog macrumors newbie

You sound like you might be better off with an iMac, seeing as your portable is your iPad. This means you also get a massive screen, similar CPU power, massive HDD and the possibility of a quad-core i5/i7, not to mention the option of better graphics cards for about the price of a stock i5 MBP.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

OP: How about you buy me a steak and we talk about it. I will PM you my address. Pick me up at 8 tomorrow, I'll shower. Promise.

8. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

The ipad is great in portability if you don't want to carry your notebook around just taking notes and accessing the web for class..etc.
    I don't think it will be replacing or taking over my 13" quite soon.

Id say if you really wanna keep a notebook computer, look at applestore.com and check the refurb section for the 13inch macbook pros...they're at a steal of a price right now and quality machines.

If not like suggested before, check out an iMac, again they're also on sale in the refurb store...unless you education discount can get you a better price.

9. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Man if you are going to college a laptop is great to have for coffee shops and librarys. I would go with 15in for research purposes since its convenient to have documents side by side next to a word processor.

10. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

11. plusonechoi macrumors member

While it does a lot of things that a laptop may be able to do, i certainly would not rely on it completely as my laptop. Especially for the OP, who mentioned he is a college student. iPad seems good to do some web browsing, viewing emails, and other media etc., but typing a whole page of something seems like it would be a PITA. I'd say get a MBP 13" since you plan on carrying it around places.

12. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I've got a 13" MacBook Pro, and I don't find the screen small at all. If you choose a 13" or 15" though you won't need anything better than the base model. I got the base model, except I got 4GB or RAM instead of the standard 2GB. Because I multitask a log :D

Good luck!

13. philamac macrumors regular

Once you have both, You'll come to realize that your iPad and your laptop will take on completely different roles. Sometimes you'll even have both out at the same time as they complement each other. So don't Scrooge on the laptop. Get what you need, regardless of whether or not you have an ipad.

14. sakanagai macrumors member

Pretty much this. The iPad doesn't and shouldn't have much effect on what laptop is best for you. From the sounds of it, you don't really need a new laptop if all you want it for is video.

Anything with a Broadcom Crystal HD chip or even Intel 4500MHD and a reasonable processor (with Flash 10.1, my Adamo with 4500MHD and a 1.2GHz C2D can do Youtube 1080p) should suffice. The MacBooks are usually on display anywhere Macs are sold and places like Frys and Best Buy will have PCs to compare them to (unless you are truly dead set against anything but a MacBook). My best advice is to start with the computer that feels most comfortable and go from there. MacBook alternatives that are currently available include Dell 14z, most anything from the Asus Thin and Lights (look for ULxxVt or ULxxJc for discrete switchable graphics and Nvidia Optimus, resp.), and Sony Vaio Z's in case you need a point of reference.

15. neal.young macrumors member

If I was in your situation, I would most likely get the 15'' MacBook Pro because of the more powerful i5 or i7 processors, and the enhanced graphics over the 13'' model. I bought an iPad last month, and I don't use it nearly as much as I thought that I would. My 15'' MBP is just a much more useful device, and is not significantly harder to carry around than an iPad. For doing work in college and carrying it around, the iPad is sort of an awkward size. It's too big to put in a pocket, but does not do as much as slightly larger devices that require a separate bag to carry around. I also rarely find opportunities in which the iPad would be the best device to use for a given task. If I'm only going to be using a device for a few minutes, I'll just pull out my iPhone. The iPad only really works when you're going to be in a single place for a while, and if that ends up being the case, you might as well just use your MacBook.

16. swish2351 macrumors 6502

15" Hi-Res or base 15". Whatever you like. But definitely do NOT get i7!! It is a battery HOG. Stay with i5 (which is still a battery hog, but not as much).

17. tim100 macrumors 65816

what data do you have that the i7 is a battery hog?

I would get a larger notebook 15/17 or an imac. you have the ultra portable covered with the ipad.

18. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I'm of the same opinion. Get a 15" or 17" MBP, or possibly even an iMac. The iPad should not be really influencing what computer you get.

19. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

The iPad is not a proper computer. You should pretend to youself that you don't even have an iPad when buying a laptop. You'll still need a good real computer:D

20. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal