For those who own or have seen the new 5k iMac....

Discussion in 'iMac' started by NJRonbo, Oct 22, 2014.

1. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

First, congrats on your new purchase or having the opportunity to have seen one at the Apple store....

Just out of curiosity...

How mind blowing awesome is this new display?

Does it look night and day better over the current 2012 iMacs?

....or is it only a marginal difference?

2. w00tini macrumors 6502a

people are comparing the difference to the non-retina and retina iPhones/iPads.

3. NJRonbo thread starter macrumors 68000

Haha. If I could only remember those days of non-retina :)

4. w00tini macrumors 6502a

my kids are still using an old ipad 2... I see it often and I still don't know how we survived pre-retina =]

5. Seramir macrumors member

Seramir

I haven't seen one in person yet. Hoping the Apple Store here will have one on display as I'm dropping by there today.

But really, the Retina display should look no different than the Retina display on the MacBook Pros, including non-Retina and Retina differences. The screen is just massively bigger. Fonts will be really sharp and everything will be more crisp.

6. karmamule macrumors 6502

karmamule

I got mine yesterday and the display is indeed amazing. They've been talking up photo & video editing, and I'm sure the higher resolution is great for that, but I'm impressed with how much more pleasant it is to do everyday tasks like e-mail, browsing, etc.. It feels like you're reading a printed page rather than looking at a display. I plan to do development on it so I'm looking forward to having the extra screen real estate.

I certainly wouldn't say it's a "must have" for most people, but it certainly is an appreciable difference. If you noticed the jump to retina in other Apple product lines then it is comparable. Your reaction to those changes will probably be a good guide to how you'll react to this, so I'd agree with what w00tini said.

One warning: once you've seen the difference and know how much better the display can get, you can't unsee it. It might make your current iMac, if you have one, look just a little less spiffy afterwards.

7. leenak macrumors 68020

I have had a rMBP for 2 years and its true. Even so much that I didn't realize it and put in a ticket for my work laptop because I thought the video card was failing. Nope, that is just how it is.