For Those Who Said iPad Will Not Have Retina For A Long, Long Time...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by donster28, Mar 12, 2012.

1. donster28 macrumors 65816

...those who posted here a couple of years back and dismissed the possibility/feasibility of an iPad with a Retina display, were you surprised to hear its already here this soon?

2. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Ah, I remember all the naysayers. I started saying we'd see an iPad with a 2048x1536 retina display not too long after the iPhone 4 came out, no one believed me :p

Apple's next move is to bring such a display to its line of Macs! Looking forward to that!

3. urkel, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

urkel macrumors 68030

iPhone 4 release date - June 24 2010
    iPad gets Retina Display - March 16 2012

This is a weird thread. Im glad it's here finally, but the retina display took 631 days to make it to the iPad so bragging that "nobody believed me" or trying to do an "I told you so" for something almost 2 years back isn't proving anyone's clairvoyance.

4. cperchard macrumors 6502a

Is it actually retina display though??? I'm pretty sure he said it was 264ppi.....but i remember steve jobs in the iphone 4 presentation said the "magic figure" was around 300.....and the iphone 4 was 326 or 328 which easily covered that.......i know 264 is a massive improvement....but technically should it be called retina?

5. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Oh for crying out loud... how many times does this have to be said, Retina is the pixel density required for the pixels to be invisible when held at a typical viewing distance. It's the last bit that's important, for the iPhone Apple work on... I believe it's 12 inches. For the iPad it's 15 inches (again, AFAIK). This is nothing new and was clearly stated when the iPhone 4 was launched.

As to the OP, yes some people were claiming five years plus but a LOT of those opinions were in direct relation to the iPad 2 as a number of people believed Apple would automatically do it once the iPhone 4 came on the scene. I know I was one of those urging caution as not only did they have to build the screen but there were graphics and battery problems to overcome as well. Looking at the specs of the Retina-equiped iPad I'd say those concerns were well justified, the battery jump alone is very telling.

6. tednol macrumors member

Retina display is not defined - it's a marketing term. Ultimately it means during normal use you can't make out the pixels. Assuming one tends to use the iPad further from the eye than an iPhone, less DPI is required to meet this requirement.

7. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

hmmm Retina is Marketing. Though if you are prepared to believe in the 12 or 15 inches, then maths comes into it. SO bit harsh to get stuck into the guy quoting ppi, as this Does come into the equation. At a certain distance, my Ipad 1 is Retina ;). Ipad 3 display is 2048x1536, not whatever apple calls retina... blah blah blah. Just another buzz term apple fanboys run around saying they have a retina display.... umm yeah 2048x1536 same same...

And some people have much better vision then others, lets accepts the 15 inches as marketing blah blah blah. Apple has not redefined displays, tech has improved, just happens apples call is Retina. Thunderbolt is an overglorrified PCI implementation, which intel calls LighPeak, apple marketing gives us THUNDERBOLT! If Retina is invisible pixels at 12 inches... crap other mobile phone manactures have just ripped off apple! Especially for people who have poor eyesight

8. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

On the contrary, I'd say it does show good insight. I wasn't saying it to brag though. (I wasn't the only one saying this, either, but those that did were a small minority.)

Back then, many said it wouldn't be possible or that it wouldn't happen for years and years, whilst I said I thought it possible for an iPad 2 release, and very likely for an iPad 3 release.

That aside, I too am happy it's here :D

9. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

I was one of those naysayers. I seriously did not think production could ramp up so quickly and that the tech would develop so quickly. This is the largest display with this kind of ppi so it's quite exciting. It was a physical impossibility about a year ago. I'm surprised that they didn't use some other tech instead of IPS LCD.

10. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

You're confusing a marketing term with a technical term. Retina display is NOT a technical term.