For those who use iPad as an eReader- will 11.6" MBA replace your iPad (Kindle App)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by iphone3g28, Oct 23, 2010.

1. iphone3g28 macrumors newbie

I picked up a 13" MBA, and am starting to wonder if I should sell my iPad and pick up a 11" MBA, as well, since I pretty much am only using the iPad to read (Kindle App), surf, and play the occasional game. I can do without the games until the OSX App Store gets going, but I am thinking having a full OS on the 11" MBA makes more sense than an iPad.

Thoughts?

2. bouncer1 macrumors 6502

Good luck with reading a book on the air, I don't think it's possible (for most).

3. aberrero macrumors 6502a

No, because the MBA screen sucks compared to the one on the iPad.

Granted, I haven't actually used a MBA yet, but it is a TN panel, which automatically means that it will suck compared to the iPad.

If you just want a reading device, get a Kindle. It is better than the iPad for reading, and is lighter, cheaper and has lifetime 3G for free.

4. bouncer1 macrumors 6502

Or a sony reader, no comparison in terms of eye strain less reading than either the ipad or pretty much anything with an lcd.

5. iphone3g28 thread starter macrumors newbie

I downloaded the Kindle App to the new 13" Air, and have to say that the it's not bad. My heavy MBP was no fun with the Kindle App because of the weight. With the 11" MBA, and it's lack of weight, it might be perfect to read on. Increase the size of the text, change your background color, choose two columns, decrease brightness, and you have an eReader comparable to the iPad...but with way more functionality.

6. aberrero macrumors 6502a

Are you seriously considering buying both an 11.6" Air and a 13.3" Air?

7. iphone3g28 thread starter macrumors newbie

The screen on the 13" is great to read on, curious how the 11" would be.

Yes, but these are shared within my family.

8. mac jones macrumors 68040

No

An iPad is an ideal eReader.

The 11" Air is just a small laptop.

Different animals.

I use to use Kindles, and never thought I would want to use the iPad, but now I just use the iPad mostly.
    At least with the Kindle DX, which is too big to hold like a paperback (just like the iPad). The smaller Kindle can be held for extended periods and is useful in various scenarios, so I carry one of those also (not a burden).

But for extended periods It's better to prop something up. You could do this with a laptop but it's awkward.

note: But really, I talk like I know something but I don't have a clue.

Come to think of it, my 17" Macbook can have two pages continuos :D

9. jeznav macrumors 6502

Nope. I still use my iPad as a dedicated PDF viewer. It's also handy to have it as a companion for video tutorials while I work on the laptop.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

...and with a keyboard you can't get rid of if you want to get comfortable in bed and curl up with a book.

iPad is going to be my ereader, even if I get an Air.

11. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

You beat me to it. The iPad is a nearly ideal ebook reader but the MBA is a computer, which makes it, as you said, a "different animal. The iPad has many weaknesses but its use as an ebook reader is not one of them. My daughter uses the ebook format for just about everything she reads these days and uses her iPad for the purpose exclusively. No clamshell computer, even one as small, thin, and light as the 11" MBA can do it as well.

12. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Both the iPad and Kindle are great ereaders. For outdoor reading, the Kindle is king. For me, reading a novel on a mba would be very awkward. As useful as the mbas are, they aren't designed to be good ereaders. In fact, not only are the iPad and Kindle superior ereaders, so is the iPhone.

13. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I would require a Kindle in addition to a MBA 11" in order to sell my iPad. Even then, losing the ability to read in the dark would prevent the Kindle from being an option.

I know you're excited but the MBA is NOT a viable eReader. My iPad serves 35 hours of Kindle and Instapaper with WiFi off and brightness at lowest.

14. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I love to read my periodicals, PDF's and books on iPad. It isn't going anywhere even as I have an MBA coming in.

15. rkahl macrumors 65816

No I do not plan on selling my iPad. If the new MBA had 3G that would be a different story!

16. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

That and GPS. :)

17. iphone3g28 thread starter macrumors newbie

Many great points, thanks. I think I'll keep the iPad AND enjoy the new 13" MBA...at least until I cave in and sell to buy the new upgrade.

It is an interesting talking point, though, because I think for many the decision will be between iPad or 11" MBA.

18. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

I really see the iPad and 11" Air as such different animals. We have an iPad and Kindle. The Kindle is best for long term serious reading, but I find myself gravitating more and more to my iPad.

I can see folks that use a computer for just emailing and storing photos, who might do more typing than average using the 11" Air over a netbook for sure. The full size key board is great. And when the processor speed gets a few bumps, I can see going from my Alum Unibody to the 13" Air, but really I've never considered the iPad to be a computer replacement. It's that inbetween device that many said had no purpose, but when you get it, you can't put it down!

19. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I never thought netbook was a good reader device...

20. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

can someone who actually has the kindle app on an 11inch Air comment

This thread is full of a lot of straight "No"s and "would work" wouldn't work"

Is there anyone out there with an 11 inch air that has the kindle app who can comment on the reading experience?

21. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

Apologies for digging this up from the macrumors grave, but two years later does anyone else out there use their Airs as an ereader? Experiences?

22. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

now that ibooks is coming to OSX with mavericks i'm sure more people will, but I use an iPad every day for work and have used the kindle app on my macbook air, and the experience doesn't company at all. The vertical orientation of the ipad, plus the fact that it's a single slab and easy to hold like a piece of paper, AND the retina screen make it a far superior device for longform reading.

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yes, exactly. I sometimes read ebooks on my computer while taking breaks from work, but only a few minutes at a time. When I want to curl up in my bed to read a good book, nothing compares to the iPad.

24. SusanK macrumors 68000

I prefer iPad as a reader.

I love my MBA but for reading it is definitely my iPad mini.