For those who want to avoid sales tax on the iMac.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by finney, May 4, 2011.

1. finney macrumors newbie

Particularly us Californians that don't wanna pay for shipping or drop $200 on sales tax. :eek::eek::eek:

Amazon.com: New Apple iMac Desktops

Now just need to decide which one to get. Decisions, decisions :D

2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

3. scoobydiesel macrumors member

scoobydiesel

sadly BTO is not available with amazon right? so i cant go i7 and better gpu on the 27?

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Nope no BTO at amazon.

macconnection might offer it, but no rebates on non "stock" models.

powermax in Oregon is your best bet for BTO and no tax in CA. You do have to pay shipping, figure $30-40 for that. Still a lot less than $200 sales tax.

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Isn't it illegal for you guys to avoid paying sales tax?

6. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

Talking about it is legal.

7. tulsamal macrumors newbie

I suspect most of you aren't old enough to have been driving cars in the 1970's. The 55 mph national speed limit. The general consensus that it was just wrong. And the civil disobedience that sprang from that. It was the nearly complete disregard for that limit that led to it being changed. Once a law or regulation becomes so extreme that it leaves rationality behind, people start to ignore it or find ways to avoid it. I would argue that 9.5% sales tax is having that same effect. Especially when you consider it is on top of Federal income tax. And state. And local. And Social Security. And Medicare. And health care.

"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its waters. This struggle may be a moral one; or it may be a physical one; or it may be both moral and physical; but it must be a struggle! Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did, and it never will.

Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." - Frederick Douglass

8. mrzeigler macrumors regular

What you fail to point out is that brick-and mortar merchants — such as the ones in your community that help offset your local real estate taxes — don't have the option of not charging sales tax. So, the online merchants have an unfair advantage, which reduces brick-and-mortar sales, which reduces the amount of local taxes collected from those brick-and-mortar stores, which results in your residential real estate taxes increasing.

I realize you'll likely counter by saying that government should just cut its expenses, but that doesn't address the matter that permitting one class of merchant to avoid a sales tax — especially with large-ticket items such as $2,000 computers — but not others creates an unfair market.

Don't get me wrong — I love the convenience of online shopping and I love saving money, but mercantile tax rates should be applied equally.

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

No sh**? :eek:

10. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

My local B&M Apple Store is in a different city. So paying sales tax there helps my State and County but doesn't help "my" City.

I'll make you a deal. When all people are federally and state taxed at the same rate then mercantile tax rates should be the same. ;) Until then I don't feel bad saving a few bucks from time to time... I feel I more than pay my fair share of taxes already!

11. ftw macrumors newbie

Yup, if I had to guess, I'd say most Americans don't live near an Apple Store.

12. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Are there any disadvantages of buying iMacs (or anything) from these third party sellers compared to buying it directly from Apple (store or online)? For e.g., does it still come with the 1 year AppleCare/warranty?

Also, I see tax in my bill at Macconnection. No no tax?

13. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

When GE pays their share, Ill pay mine.
    Must be nice to have the president as a buddy.

14. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Depends on your state.

15. bpaluzzi macrumors 6502a

bpaluzzi

So now it's patriotic to be cheapskates? Wow, learn something new every day!

16. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You think the companies that avoid taxes were paying during the Bush years? Cute. :D

17. finney thread starter macrumors newbie

The other good thing about buying there is that their customer service is really good.

18. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Luckily the NH border is about 20 minutes from me. I will be going there to purchase my imac :) no sales tax no shipping and all BTO machines.

19. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I'm lucky to live between two Apple stores.

One is in a 6% sales tax state, the other in a 0% sales tax state.

Both are literally 35 minutes away.

20. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I live in a state where there are no Apple stores. And as far as I know, there is no Apple owned business presence in the state. So why do I have to pay sales tax on items shipped in to me? No other online retailer does that.

21. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

What state? I have a tax background I would be willing to do some free research for you. Maybe apple is wrong. I have found many companies collect sales tax when they are not allowed to do so. To be fair most of the time it is a case of collecting on an item that is not taxable. Such as a pair of gloves in the state of New Jersey would not be subject to sales tax. This is because they are an article of clothing. A baseball glove is subject to sales tax as is a golf glove they are considered sports equipment.

It is possible Apple is in error or not. I would be interested in finding out for you.

22. finney thread starter macrumors newbie

Too bad Amazon does also sell Big Macs to go with their sales-tax free iMacs :p

23. Herdfan macrumors 6502

West Virginia. One of I believe 4 states without an Apple store.

But it looks like they are registered with the SOS, so I guess I am SOL. :)