for those who wanted 3G and ended up with a wifi ipad2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kevjen888, Mar 19, 2011.

1. kevjen888 macrumors 6502

are your happy with the end result, do you really miss the 3G? i'm in the same boat, ordered my 3G ipad2 through AT&T last week and still has no shipping date yet. this morning i grabbed the last 16G white ipad from local Target store. i think i'll still leave the AT&T order open and trying out the wifi for now, if i like it i can always cancel the AT&T one.

2. robertk328 macrumors regular

robertk328

I wanted 3G and got the last 32gb black wifi that I haven't opened. Have read enough about tethering to my iPhone that I'm going to suck it up and open it and just enjoy the thing. If I find I really need it and tethering doesn't suit me I can sell it and buy the 3G down the road when I can walk in and buy one. I've already waited a week of my 4 week wait and not thinking it's worth it anymore for me. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. gigaguy macrumors 65816

Most places I go do not have wifi, I don't hang out at McDs or Barstrucks.
    I was lucky to snag an ATT2, even tho I have a similar iPad1 ATT.and having the Unlimited plan helps.

4. kevjen888 thread starter macrumors 6502

should i go ahead and cancel my AT&T order then, Target has 90 day exchange policy. i figure a couple month from now i can easily spot a 3G model at Target and exchange for my wifi one if i don't like it.

5. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

I did this with ipad 1...got the wifi, enjoyed it thoroughly, but felt lacking the 3g...i sold it and bought a 3g..i didnt lose any money in the end but it was a hassle....

6. triplecore1 macrumors member

Same boat as you

Same boat as you wanted a 64GB ATT Black couldn't find it anywhere so I pre-ordered at Best Buy and placed the 64GB ATT order at Apple.com. Bought a black 16gb WiFi for now to solve my Apple product addiction so I can concentrate on homework work. Probably give it to my mom or maybe sell it down the road.

At least this way when my real iPad comes on April 24th:eek, hopefully sooner through BB;, its accessories will be here Zaggmate Keyboard and iKit Case. This 16gb is taking a beating on its back from scratches :(

7. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

ATT 3G was the deal breaker for me. Without it, no ipad 2 and wait patiently. I was fortunate to get one a week ago. Otherwise I would just have waited. To me, having 3G for work related things is very important.

8. incongruity macrumors member

I'm almost in the opposite position: I ordered early-ish and my 32 gig black 3G (AT&T) will be getting here on Wednesday and now I'm wondering if I should have just gotten the 64 gig WiFi only and just gone with tethering.

If anyone has an unopened 64GB black WiFi in the chicago area and wants to swap (plus the small price difference in cash), drop me a note. I'm on the fence at this point, so no promises.

9. katyoshi macrumors 6502

In my opinion, keep it. You never know if you plan to get another phone and stuff...I just use MyWi for my original iPad but sparingly due to "threats" of changing your data plan from AT&T. :confused:

10. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I have always owned 3G iPads but have to admit that I use WiFi 99% of the time. BUT, when I needed it, on vacation, the 3G was a life saver!

Let's face it 3G is s l o w and I would hate to be tied to it all the time but in case of an emergency, I would never own a iPad without it!

11. robertk328 macrumors regular

robertk328

The 3G came in to Best Buy and I was within my return period so made the switch. Sure I'll use wifi most of the time but it's there if I need it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Had the 3G iPad 1 and used the 3G a grand total of maybe 10 times. This was back when there wasn't Personal Hotspot on the iPhone. Now that there is, I've picked up a wifi iPad 2 and will tether via BT for the few times that I need to. I agree that it's slightly more convenient to be able to just turn on your iPad and be online, but at an extra cost each month AND reduced battery life? Nah.

13. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

Had a wifi iPad 1 and knew I wanted a GSM iPad 2. It was a must-have feature for me.

14. kevjen888 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow this thread us still alive lol. I bought a AT&T 16g black from local best buy yesterday, I'm selling my white wifi to a guy tomorrow for a small profit. I'm done with my iPad adventure.

15. jdcell100 macrumors regular

3g

I have att3g since last may with the unlimited data for 29 a month 2 weeks ago I sold it becaus I wanted ipad2 I was useing my daughters wifi only till I got my ipad2 let me tellnyou it sucked man did I miss my 3G thank god I found this afternoon a wht 3G iPad 2. Go for the 3G if you can afford it you won't be sorry!!!

16. cdavis11 macrumors 6502

I have a 64gb wifi and use the personal hotspot on my iPhone to tether. It works nicely so far in limited testing.

17. JoshBoy macrumors 6502

JoshBoy

Well my adventure starts tomorrow, iPad goes on sale however I was able to get one put aside for me from a gold reseller so there is a 64gig 3G waiting for me in black. I can't wait, by the time I decided I wanted an ipad it was 6 months after launch.

18. jdcell100 macrumors regular

Joshboy

Congratulations your going to luv your iPad2. Believe me your going to have a blast. Say by by to yr laptop. Only time yr going to be on yr laptop is when you sink yr iPad

19. mitoda macrumors newbie

iphone tethering

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, my very first post!

Initially got the ipad 2 32 GB wifi on March 11, did my 3 hour line in Apple store 5th ave. I choose wifi because I jailbroken my iphone with tethering capability, it works, but I think it is not very reliable (signal gets interrupted) and it REALLY drains your iphone battery!

So sold my ipad2 to a friend (she ended up paying same price as the 3G). Now I don't have an ipad2 and it's damn difficult to find one! I called every apple store daily with same answer! Was able to find ONE 32 gb 3G in a New Jersey Target store, took the bus as fast as I could, and I literally saw the guy buying that very last ipad! couldn't believe my eyes! but he was kind enough to tell me about Macrumors and he showed me the sticky thread about the Target store tracking info, thanks bro! (whatever your name is)

Bottom line, unless you have the official iphone tethering capability, you're good with the wifi version, but for me, I don't want to depend on my iphone to have internet everywhere

20. melman101 macrumors 68030

I bought a WiFi only model for iPad 1. Tethering was a pain for me. Riding the train my phone would disconnect from the cell networks and mywi wouldn't grab the reconnection. I also could never tell whether or not I was connected because i couldnt see my phones service. The iPad always had full signal wifi wise to iPhone

so for ipad2, I went 3G. Best move I ever made. I use it all the time, and don't have to worry about draining my phones battery. :)