For those with a 4/4S who will be upgrading?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by superdudeo, Jul 25, 2012.

?

For those with a 4S who will be upgrading?

Poll closed Sep 23, 2012.
  1. Yes upgrading

171 vote(s)
    59.6%
  2. No, won't be upgrading

53 vote(s)
    18.5%
  3. Undecided

41 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. No, won't be upgrading and will switch platforms

22 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. superdudeo, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012

superdudeo macrumors regular

Let's assume the rumours are correct. An elongated iPhone that essentially looks like the iPhone 4 but stretched.

Based on these rumours only, will you be upgrading?

2. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

The screen and it's size is only a (very) small part of the iPhone experience.

How could anyone know if they're going to upgrade or not since, even if we assume the screen rumors are true, we have no idea what kind of features the new iPhone will have?

Even though iOS 5 was available and tested for months, very little (outside the microphone icon) was known before it's announcement. I think it's safe to say they might have a similar, but more impressive, trick up their sleeves... but until it's shown, I'll have no idea if I'm going to upgrade or stay with my 4S.

3. lamboman macrumors 6502

I would go further to say that the hardware is a small part of the iOS experience.

Personally will be keeping my 4S (mainly because the CRU replacement I'll be getting will be warrantied until this time next year), but I don't believe that the iPhone 5 will be hugely far ahead of the 4S in terms of software features until iOS 7, much like the iPhone 4 right now (though this case is a bit different due to Siri).

4. superdudeo thread starter macrumors regular

iOS6 beta is out. We know that there's no significant change in UI.

I agree that Apple always has a surprise up their sleeve but I would argue that for many people, a new screen size is really important now and just stretching it won't be enough.

5. NotAdvisable macrumors regular

NotAdvisable

I have a 4S and i'll be staying with it until the 5S (or whatever the next, next generation one is).

I'll get iOS6 and thats all I really care about.
    My 4S fits in my car mount too (for TomTom) and a 5 wouldn't).

6. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

I have a 4S, but it won't be upgrading until 2-3 generations later. I'm a little cost conscious, so if a new phone isn't necessary I won't get one. The iOS updates for the 4S should last a few more years before they discontinue updating it.

7. duction, Jul 25, 2012

duction macrumors 6502a

duction

I'm on an iPhone 4 and can't wait to get the 5! Bored of this model now, time for an upgrade!

8. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I've got a 4S and won't be upgrading. Since I'm on a 4S I'm in the middle of a contact. It would take something truly revolutionary to get me to fork out $650 for a darn phone. I can't think of anything that is even technologically possible that would get me to do it. I'll hold tight for the 5S.

9. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Where is the option to pick the leaked images look nothing like a stretched 4/4s?

Other than haveing a screen just like the 4/4s in what way do they look the same? Oh, maybe it's the unibody frame/back. Maybe it's the two tone back. Maybe it's the headphone location or the 19 pin connector OR possible the speaker grills. Yeah, if you had a picture of both side by side you would never be able to tell them apart. I find it funny that people keep calling it a stretched 4s.

I how ever will be upgrading as I do every cycle.

10. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I recently bought the 4s after having my 4 stolen and didnt hesitate even with the new iPhone being talked about.

If the new iPhone ticks all my boxes and exceeds my expectations, then I'll buy one outright as per my normal buying habits.

11. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

I just desperately want LTE coverage.

My area has unusable 3G coverage but an amazing LTE coverage. For once I am envious of all the AT&T users with their HSPA+.

So I am upgrading by selling my iPhone 4S and getting my $500 deposit back from Verizon wireless :p

12. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

I will be upgrading since I have an iPhone 4 and my contract ends soon.

I want a faster processor, faster graphics, Siri, and iOS 6 3D maps. I am happy about the current screen and if the screen is larger or not won't be a factor in my decision to upgrade.

13. guilderlandny macrumors newbie

Not Worth the Upgrade

I'm on a 4S now & the 5 just isn't worth the upgrade. The 4" screen would be the only advantage for me. No AT$T LTE in my part of upstate NY till at least late next year (I currently "enjoy" a 2 Mb/s 4G signal). NFC will not be useful for at least a year or two and then there is the impact of the new connector with current accessories and a slight question mark on battery life in the iP 5 with the LTE & bigger screen's power draw - currently, my 4s lives in a Mophie or it won't last the day.

Nope, i'll sit this one out until the new form factor, accessories, and carrier network upgrades are worked out. My 4s with ios 6 will take me through till iPhone 2013.

14. Scrub175 macrumors 6502

Scrub175

Yes. Upgrade to LTE and larger screen. Unlimited data leftover on Verizon, so full price to retain that privilege.

15. Wreckie macrumors regular

I am currently using 4 and extremely happy with it. I won't be upgrading unless there is somekind of ultra-extremely impressive new features.

16. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

It looks the same, in that, if you saw both laying 3 feet apart, you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart.
    --
    As far as upgrading, I didn't upgrade from my 3GS when the 4 came out because of the brick design and small screen (even 2 years ago everyone else went to 4"). When that changes, I may consider it. Or get a used 4S, much like I did with the 4 a year ago. This way I'm not rewarding Apple by giving them my money.

17. EricJD macrumors regular

4S owner here, and yes, I'll be upgrading mainly so I can finally get rid of Sprint.

18. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Yes will be upgrading, my iPhone 4 has a knackerd home button and I want a better camera and dual or quad core as Apple has made the iPhone 4 run slower and slower.

Won't be at launch though and I may wait for Brodit to launch a holder first too.

19. AFDoc macrumors 68030

No I don't agree. If you saw (the rumored) phone sitting next to a 4s you could tell the difference from 3 ft away, even 5 or more. Bottom would be obvious from 20. Top no earphone jack, back obvious, front (obvious size difference). Only way they look similar is on the l/r sides and if they were side by side you would/should be able to tell the size difference. If it was by itself from the side, maybe by the front glass, you might think its a 4s. Of course the front cam is above the ear speaker in the supposed i5.

I'm sorry I really fail to see the resemblance.

20. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

There should be a would wait and see before upgrading or switching platforms options, "undecided" is too general.

21. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Rumors or not I wouldn't be upgrading. I don't upgrade with each release.

22. majuha macrumors member

I will probably upgrade from my 4s, mostly because my girlfriend is looking to buy a new phone anyways, so I'll give her that one, the 4s obviously.

23. Bishwasher, Jul 25, 2012

Bishwasher macrumors regular

I'll definitely be upgrading from my iPhone 4.:apple:

24. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Of course you and I could tell the difference from across the room. I'm speaking of Joe Normal who doesn't camp out on these forums like we do. :)

25. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Gotcha. ;)