Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Considering adding Applecare to a new 900 mhz iBook.

For those that have Applecare already, have you used it on youd iBook? I know it's piece of mind, but it's also $249.

Thanks.
breeze

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Yes, it's worth it. I have a rev B iTang and it has paid for its self time and time again. There are three things I recommend for any laptop user. 1.) Buy the extended warranty. 2.) Get extra batteries. 3.) Get a good sleeve and/or case. I have gone through nearly a dozen laptops in as many years. My iBook has survived better than any of them, but still get the AppleCare.

If you can afford to but a new laptop every year, then forget it. Otherwise it's well worth it, if anything for peace of mind. I have used AppleCare 6 times, 2 keyboards, one HD issue, 1 CD issue, 1 screen issue that was their mistake. All of the repairs were done with in 3 days!

Get it. If you don't use it, think of it as a sacrifice to the Mobile Computing Gods!

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Applecare more than paid for itself on my old 12" 600 mhz ibook. My screen began to experience the dreaded flicker, and progression towards death, just after the 1 year warranty was up. If I hadn't had applecare it would have cost me a small fortune to repair that ibook.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Thanks for the replies. One more question. The fine print on Applecare says it covers the display only if Applecare and the new computer are purchased at the same time. What exactly does this mean?

I am also looking on eBay for an iBook. I found a good deal on one that is about 2 months old...I have until 12 months after the original purchase to add applecare, but will it cover the screen? When applecare says "cover" the screen, what does that mean? If you crack it, will they replace it? If it just stops working, will they replace it? Will they tell you to get lost if you didn't get applecare on the original purchase date?

Also, there is someone selling iBook Applecare plans for $150 on eBay. Is this legit? So I could get the 800mhz/30Gb/640 Ram with Airport for $1,075, and add $150 applecare and get out under $1,230? That would be a great deal!.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
You’re buying a laptop. The display is connected. If you purchased a G4 tower, you would have to purchase a monitor at the same time to get both covered under AppleCare.

If you crack it you buy it. If it goes bad, they pay for it. There shouldn't be a reason for the screen to crack. The duo and the early PowerBooks did have this problem, noted by air travelers. The cause was supposedly air pressure changes. AppleCare does not cover accidental damage or theft, nor do most other computer manufactures. Your credit card might, but usually only on new purchases.

Go to Apple for AppleCare. The eBay is likely legit, but why risk it. You can register online of AppleCare, tax free (its a service), or get the box and get the software on CD.

If your really worried about damaged, look at renters insurance, or go to CompUSA or another company that offers replacement plans for stupidity and bad luck.

Hey, call Apple. I thought you had 90 days to make the decision about AppleCare, not 1 year.
I need a new iBook. Mine is really showing its age, but it still works and looks cool.

Cheers.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Originally posted by Eniregnat
Hey, call Apple. I thought you had 90 days to make the decision about AppleCare, not 1 year.
I need a new iBook. Mine is really showing its age, but it still works and looks cool.

Cheers.
I think it's a year 'cos last time I rang Apple my broken ibook key they said 'Would you like Applecare?' I said 'I've got a year to get it in haven't I?' The reply was 'Yes'.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Apple.com
• AppleCare Protection Plan extends your computer's 90 days of complimentary support and one-year warranty to up to three years of world-class support — and provides you with long-term peace of mind.
I confused with
PDF
• To qualify for the AppleCare Protection Plan,
your product must be within its one-year Apple
hardware warranty.
Looks like its a year from date of original purchace.

alxths

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2003
I really think its pathetic that companies like apple have gotten us, the consumers, into a position where we have to pay extra to ensure that our purchase of thousands of dollars will work for more than a year. What frustrates me especially, is that since there really is nothing I can do about it, it really IS better and more economical to get their extended warranty... So, to answer your question: yes you should pay the extra $250 to protect your $1200 dollar purchase; but do so while grumbling to yourself with the upmost contempt for this one sided system where we, the fragmented consumers can do nothing but that.
"Extended warranty? How can I lose?!"
-Homer Simpson, as Moe drives a pencil into his brain.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
i would defiantely suggest getting applecare. My iBook800 has had a bit of bad luck since november, two motherboards, one chip and a display,a keyboard, a power adaptor, plastic feet and it runs fine again. I searched eBay for a long time and eventually bought my applecare plan for $100 US. I bought one for a friend for $150 and both worked fine. It is quite possible to get a deal. I hoep you the best of luck but if my iBook breaks down i'm glad to have it there. Also the phone support is nice when you can't figure something out and don't want to reinstall the whole OS. Also if you plan to use any apple accesories, keyboard, airport card, ram, airport basestation, and you buy them at the same time, they are covered by applecare. All things to think about.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
the monitor issue is only for powermacs and powerbooks. if you buy a powerbook or powermac with an apple display with apple care it will be covered for the full 3 years. only if they are on the reciept. if you buy a mac and a airport card or basestation on the same reciept it will be covered as well. note that you do not need to purchase applecare right away, as long as the two products are on the same reciept they both will be covered if you ever decide to buy it. apple care is a very good investment. computers are a machine, there is no guarentee they wont break, smoe will, some dont. buy applecare and it wont matter if it breaks or not because you will be takne care of, as long as its not your fault.

iJon

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I bought AppleCare for my iBook and if I hadn't I would be without an iBook right now. My old 500MHz iBook had 3 different logic boards as a result of various issues and was going for a 4th when Apple decided to replace it. This was when it was over 1 and a half years old. Now I have my nice new iBook 800, which I have not had any problems with.

So in answer to your question, yes get AppleCare.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Slightly off-topic. Do people bother with Applecare for desktops or just laptops? My view is that laptops are more likely to fail and the parts cost more so Applecare is worth it but probably not for desktops. But what do others think?

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by caveman_uk
Slightly off-topic. Do people bother with Applecare for desktops or just laptops? My view is that laptops are more likely to fail and the parts cost more so Applecare is worth it but probably not for desktops. But what do others think?
not true at all. many of those parts are still very expensive, and applecare is cheaper on the desktops so its even a better investment.

iJon

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
I don't have Applecare for my iMac, and I have been lucky, and haven't had any problems with it.

But, if I were buying an iBook or PowerBook, then I might buy it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.