Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grumpybear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
So I'm trying to figure out how the phone works internationally using a GSM SIM.
According to this, http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1807

I need to

Note: CDMA iPhone models have a Roaming setting with separate options for Voice, Data, and International CDMA.

Troubleshooting roaming issues or behaviors

■If your iPhone 4S supports both CDMA and GSM roaming, you can use Settings > General > Network > Roaming > International CDMA to control which network your iPhone 4S uses:

■International CDMA > On: iPhone 4S will attempt to use an available CDMA network instead of GSM.

■International CDMA > Off: iPhone 4S will use only GSM networks.

■Note: After enabling International CDMA while on a GSM network, turn on airplane mode for 30 seconds to ensure that your phone switches over from your current GMS network to the CDMA network.

■If Settings > Carrier does not appear as expected when International CDMA is enabled, force Settings to close.

Thing is, I cannot find the International CDMA option. It only has a Voice option and Data option that you can enable/disable.

Is this because I am not roaming yet? Will this option automatically appear when my phone senses that I am roaming?

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011
That makes sense. Thank you.

I am on sprint. I needed to call their customer support line and ask for an international unlock. I was told that due to the fact I had a launch day iPhone there was a glitch in the activation system on apples side and my phone was already unlocked. Your situation may be different.

While in another country this is the procedure. Im quoting the email i received.
"You can switch to your SIM Card by going to Settings, General, Network, & Roaming, You'll need to disable International CDMA in order for your device to read your third party SIM."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.