For those with limited data: Any way of telling how much SIRI uses?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by braddick, Oct 23, 2011.

1. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I've got the unlimited data but I'd be curious how much data SIRI eats up with active use.
    Would it be equal to light web surfing or would it more approach that of streaming music?

2. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

should be easy to test. note your data usage, use siri for like 10 commands. check data.

3. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

Not sure how you determine anything from this but:

Started at 0 received and sent. Turned off all push and fetch email and all other data services in background. Used Siri for 2 straight minutes peppering it with questions. In that time I asked 8 questions. 3 were nonsense for which it gave me the typical wiseass answers. 2 were to put reminders on my calendar. 2 were texts. and 1 was a question for which it pulled back wolfram alpha.

146KB sent
    106KB received

I didn't check after each one so for all i know the wolfram alpha took up half. but hopefully that is helpful.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It was.
    Thank you

5. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

Great test. A bit more than I thought, but it makes sense.

6. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

Over 100KB? :eek:

That's absurd considering Siri messages are only a few sentences long.

I have several documents that are over 20 pages and they don't come close to 100 KB let alone 150 KB.

Am I missing something here, is there an algorithm Siri uses or does Siri's processing really require it to decode the statements in to parts that are over 100KB?

7. MorganB macrumors member

If I was guessing I would say its uploading an audio file of your voice with each command.

8. MacBreezy macrumors regular

MacBreezy

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I am on the 2 gb plan with Verizon. I use her quite a bit and have not seen any excessive data use. but I use my phone a lot I feel like and I don't come anywhere close to using 2 gb's of data.

9. JulianL macrumors 65816

It is uploading audio; unless Apple changed it completely since they bought Siri then the voice recognition is done at the Apple servers. Siri developers are on record (interviews on youtube when Siri was first released) saying this.

Having said the above, I've read stuff on this forum from a few people who seem to know what they're talking about saying that Siri uses some of the GPU power on the phone to do processing. My guess is that Siri is doing some sort of audio compression on the phone before sending the voice data to the servers so as to reduce the data useage. This could be some standard compression algorithm like AAC or it could be a custom compression algorithm designed to only retain the parts of the frequency spectrum and other input features that the server-side code will be looking at when doing the voice recognition.

- Julian

10. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I would guess it's using a speech-specific encoding like AMR or one of the videoconferencing standards. It would be very inefficient to use something like AAC.