For Those With The "Yellow Tint" On Your iPad 3 Screen, What Is Your Build Week?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jw6961, Mar 16, 2012.

1. jw6961 macrumors regular

jw6961

Just curious to see what build week those with the yellow tint or warmer iPad 3 screens have? Perhaps Apple used a different batch of screens somewhere along the line?

You can find the build week by entering the serial number of your new iPad here:

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html/

2. aggieastrosfan macrumors member

Week 3 here. Compared it to iPhone 4, 4s, and iPad 2. Hubby doesn't even really notice these kind of things, and he saw it right away.

This is my first time having the yellow tint. It wasn't too bad until I noticed it. Now that I see it, I hate it.

3. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Mine is Feb. 7 but I don't have the yellow tint. Stop being OCD and just enjoy your new iPad.

4. Jspring86 Suspended

Jspring86

Mine is week 6. I have a little bit of yellow tint, but I can't notice as much as some others have said they can.

5. Clix Pix, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Production Week 9 (March) here..... Really, I don't think I have a "yellow tint" problem, though.

6. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

7. cadillac1234 macrumors regular

8. Actual Size macrumors member

Mine was made week 1 and has a warmish screen tone... however, it makes no difference to me at all.

9. Justin Luck macrumors regular

Name: iPad 3
    Group1: iPad
    Group2: WiFi
    Generation: 3
    ModelCode:
    Model introduced: 2012
    Production year: 2012
    Production week: 8 (February)
    introduced test: GOED
    Screen size: 9 inch
    Screen resolution: 2048x1536 pixels
    Colour: Black
    Capacity: 16GB
    Factory: DM (China - Foxconn)

10. nlew macrumors newbie

I have a week 10??? Isn't that this week?

Are you sure that link is for US models?

My screen looked warm until I turned off the light sensor. I think that is causing the yellow issue.

11. cwosigns macrumors 65816

12. WARSTIN macrumors member

I have a week 1 and the screen tone is near perfect.

13. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

14. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

Week 7. Mine is so yellow! I compared photos from my photo gallery on iPad 2 and new iPad side by side at same brightness level and the new iPad completely distorts colors. For example, my dog's hair, which is red, has a greenish tint. So please, no one tell me this is "true calibration", etc. it looks like sh__ and it's going back. No way I pay $829 for substandard display. I held my breath on iPad 2 and 4s and got lucky with true white screens. Not so this background. I am getting increasingly annoyed with Apple's quality control!:mad: I am so freaking disappointed!

15. interfreak macrumors regular

interfreak

Week 2 and just fine. Mines a 'DQ' tablet:

Serial number: DQ**********
    Name: iPad 3
    Group1: iPad
    Group2: WiFi
    Generation: 3
    ModelCode:
    Model introduced: 2012
    Production year: 2012
    Production week: 2 (January)
    introduced test: GOED
    Screen size: 9 inch
    Screen resolution: 2048x1536 pixels
    Colour: Black
    Capacity: 16GB
    Factory: DQ (China - Foxconn refurbished??)

16. a.y.n macrumors regular

a.y.n

17. PadJunkie macrumors member

18. 2IS, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012

2IS macrumors 68030

Week 6 (feb) no yellow tint as far as I can tell.

Upon closer inspection, the top of the screen (portrait mode) is more yellow than the bottom. Nothing severe enough that I'd have noticed without reading this thread first and actually looking for it though.

19. kurtiz macrumors newbie

I don't have mine yet but I was able to figure out mine was made in production week 2(January), hopefully nothing is wrong.

20. Paulshaqz macrumors 6502a

21. Mo1959 macrumors member

I'm also week 9 and screen looks fine to me so I don't think it is consistent.

22. Built macrumors 68020

23. Hello... macrumors 6502a

Hello...

Ditto for me week 6 also

24. iBighouse macrumors 6502a

iBighouse

It isn't enough to know the week your device was made if they all came from separate manufacturing lines. If there was some material that was out of spec (like an adhesive, coating or gel) you'd have to know more than when it was made, you'd have to know which factory and then even maybe which line if there are multiple lines within the plant. Add to that the complexities of the device and you can't possibly know from the build week what the likely cause of the warmish/yellow tones might be caused from...was it in the gorilla glass made at some time? Was it the vapor coating used in the process that week? Was it part of the LCD panel material? Was it part of the LED array? Is it somehow software caused?...the list of possible causes is WAY to big for a simple only "what week was it made in" to figure out what all of these may have in common. You're going to get too many that are just fine made within the same week.
    Someone needs to set up a user SN Database that will allow users to input all the manufacturing data as well as user observed "yellow hue" or "exposed LED array" and maybe even "dead/red pixel" values into a spreadsheet type format. Then it could all be sorted and MAYBE then there might be some kind of meaningful way to compare these units and find out if they have some kind of common cause...a simple "sort by yellow hue" would then reveal a lot.

25. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

Week 6, Serial number starts with DQ, no yellow tint. I compared it side by side with my 4S and my 4S definitely has a more yellowish tone in comparison.