For Those With The "Yellow Tint" On Your iPad 3 Screen, What Is Your Build Week?

aggieastrosfan

macrumors member
May 28, 2011
Week 3 here. Compared it to iPhone 4, 4s, and iPad 2. Hubby doesn't even really notice these kind of things, and he saw it right away.

This is my first time having the yellow tint. It wasn't too bad until I noticed it. Now that I see it, I hate it.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68000
Dec 28, 2009
Just curious to see what build week those with the yellow tint or warmer iPad 3 screens have? Perhaps Apple used a different batch of screens somewhere along the line?

You can find the build week by entering the serial number of your new iPad here:

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html/
Mine is Feb. 7 but I don't have the yellow tint. Stop being OCD and just enjoy your new iPad.

Justin Luck

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
Name: iPad 3
Group1: iPad
Group2: WiFi
Generation: 3
ModelCode:
Model introduced: 2012
Production year: 2012
Production week: 8 (February)
introduced test: GOED
Screen size: 9 inch
Screen resolution: 2048x1536 pixels
Colour: Black
Capacity: 16GB
Factory: DM (China - Foxconn)

nlew

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2012
I have a week 10??? Isn't that this week?

Are you sure that link is for US models?

My screen looked warm until I turned off the light sensor. I think that is causing the yellow issue.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Week 7. Mine is so yellow! I compared photos from my photo gallery on iPad 2 and new iPad side by side at same brightness level and the new iPad completely distorts colors. For example, my dog's hair, which is red, has a greenish tint. So please, no one tell me this is "true calibration", etc. it looks like sh__ and it's going back. No way I pay $829 for substandard display. I held my breath on iPad 2 and 4s and got lucky with true white screens. Not so this background. I am getting increasingly annoyed with Apple's quality control!:mad: I am so freaking disappointed!

interfreak

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Week 2 and just fine. Mines a 'DQ' tablet:

Serial number: DQ**********
Name: iPad 3
Group1: iPad
Group2: WiFi
Generation: 3
ModelCode:
Model introduced: 2012
Production year: 2012
Production week: 2 (January)
introduced test: GOED
Screen size: 9 inch
Screen resolution: 2048x1536 pixels
Colour: Black
Capacity: 16GB
Factory: DQ (China - Foxconn refurbished??)

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Week 6 (feb) no yellow tint as far as I can tell.

Upon closer inspection, the top of the screen (portrait mode) is more yellow than the bottom. Nothing severe enough that I'd have noticed without reading this thread first and actually looking for it though.

Last edited:

iBighouse

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
It isn't enough to know the week your device was made if they all came from separate manufacturing lines. If there was some material that was out of spec (like an adhesive, coating or gel) you'd have to know more than when it was made, you'd have to know which factory and then even maybe which line if there are multiple lines within the plant. Add to that the complexities of the device and you can't possibly know from the build week what the likely cause of the warmish/yellow tones might be caused from...was it in the gorilla glass made at some time? Was it the vapor coating used in the process that week? Was it part of the LCD panel material? Was it part of the LED array? Is it somehow software caused?...the list of possible causes is WAY to big for a simple only "what week was it made in" to figure out what all of these may have in common. You're going to get too many that are just fine made within the same week.
Someone needs to set up a user SN Database that will allow users to input all the manufacturing data as well as user observed "yellow hue" or "exposed LED array" and maybe even "dead/red pixel" values into a spreadsheet type format. Then it could all be sorted and MAYBE then there might be some kind of meaningful way to compare these units and find out if they have some kind of common cause...a simple "sort by yellow hue" would then reveal a lot.

melterx12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
Week 6, Serial number starts with DQ, no yellow tint. I compared it side by side with my 4S and my 4S definitely has a more yellowish tone in comparison.