for UK'ers, being able to use iPhone 4S and Galaxy Nexus at the same time....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pez555, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

I really want to get an android of some sort, been leaning towards the galaxy s II or the galaxy nexus, however i want to keep my iPhone 4S as my main phone and be able to change the sim between the phones at my leisure.

I have learnt however that this is not possible on the O2 network as the iPhone requires a seperate APN settings or something. Why dont O2 just make a universal data bolt on that you can use on any phone?

is there any way this is possible? maybe a different network?

2. mrochester macrumors 65816

The APN settings are typically user configurable on any device so you could simply change the APN settings on whatever device you buy to match the iPhone.

3. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Not sure about switching sims, but you could put your iPhone in hotspot mode and connect the galaxy s II to the hotspot and forward your iPhone number to Skype or something like that. Of course you would need to keep the iPhone on a charger and on you the whole time.

4. Pez555 thread starter macrumors 68000

Pez555

thanks for the replies. so you are essentially saying i can use the APN settings i use on the iPhone and transfer them over on the galaxy? can anyone confirm if this works?

5. mrochester macrumors 65816

Yes that's what I'm saying, but I'm afraid I can't test to see if it works.

6. Pez555 thread starter macrumors 68000

Pez555

ok thanks, hopefully there is someone who knows, i have tried google but there doesnt seem to be anything like this!

7. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

8. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

When I first moved to the iPhone from the Galaxy S2, my data bolt-on was a standard smartphone one.

All I had to do was change the APN to mobile.o2.co.uk on my iPhone and it worked fine. I actually got an SMS from O2 as soon as I switched my iPhone on telling me what I needed to do.

I haven't done it the other way round (i.e. using the iPhone APN on an Android device), but I see no reason why it wouldn't work: If possible, you're better off using the iPhone bolt-on because it also brings you visual voicemail and tethering to your iPhone (neither of which are available on the mobile.o2.co.uk APN)

9. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I'm using my O2 Micro SIM (currently on an iPhone contract) in a Nokia phone until my number is ported to 3.

I set the APN on the Nokia phone to the iPhone's APN (i.e. idata.o2.co.uk) and that worked ok.

O2 is pretty good about this sort of thing, they aren't too bothered with you using a SIM in a different device and they don't insist on you using an iPhone tariff on an iPhone.

10. Pez555 thread starter macrumors 68000

Pez555

thanks for the replies. I had a long chat with an O2 tech guru tonight on the support website. All you need to do is change the iPhone data bolt on (if you have one) to a standard smartphone data bolt on. This will allow you to chop and change between phones at your leisure.

As above it means changing your APN to mobile.O2.co.uk instead of idata once the bolt on has changed to the smartphone data bolt on.

the tech guru was actually pretty knowledgeable and explained everything fully. Unbelievable really as i have spoken to people instore as well as online previously and they said it is not possible...

Now the next dilemma, samsung galaxy S2 or galaxy nexus?!

11. bp1000 macrumors 65816

I used my o2 iPhone configured sim (by that i mean it was classed as an iPhone contract and allowed me to use visual voice mail and unlimited cloud wifi) in an android handset for about 6 months after my iPhone 3G.

It worked fine, i even used the idata.o2.co.uk APN as well as trying the mobile.o2.co.uk APN....

I didn't need to change any data bolt on's... the sim worked in either phone.

Of course back then, it was normal sized sim's, now you will need an adapter, unless the Galaxy S2 uses micro also. I'm still on the same contract now.