For upgrade swap @ AT&T store, do both phones have to be present?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhone Addict, Jun 17, 2010.

1. iPhone Addict macrumors 6502

I am going to try and buy an iPhone on launch day at an AT&T retail store. I don't have a pre-order or any type of reservation. My mom's line is eligible for an upgrade, mine is not. I will be using her upgrade for my line. She will be keeping her non-iPhone phone that she currently has.

My mom lives in Southern California while I am in Northern California. I am an authorized user. Does she or her phone have to be present with me for the upgrade swap to take place? Will they be making some new SIM card for her phone or can I take care of everything without her or her phone needing to be there?

THANK YOU.

2. iBLAKEE macrumors 6502

3. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Please use care following this advice.

She does not need to be present but depending on the skill and method that the RSC uses your Mom may lose cell phone service until she gets a replacement SIM.

Let's cover the basic process yet again:

1. Activation is completed using the iPhone 4, pre-installed Micro SIM, phone number that ordered the upgrade.
    2. This will disable your mom's current SIM and it can't be reused
    3. A new SIM (Mini) would be provided for the upgrade donor
    4. A new Micro SIM is installed in the iPhone 4 and activated on your line​

So as you see, your Mom, would not be happy with you at step 2 and until she got the SIM from step 3.

Yes there are other ways to complete the Upgrade Swap but the method above is in almost all cases going to be the quickest if both phones / customers are present "in-store" it is also the one that most RSC would lead with do to the high volume around "Launch Day".

Yes, your Mom, could go to another AT&T Store in SoCal but she will not be the only person waiting on line. Again, she will not be happy with you.

Dave

4. iPhone Addict thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for the thorough response! I appreciate you taking the time to do that for me.

5. iBLAKEE macrumors 6502

When I perform my upgrade swap at home, I'm not activating the iPhone first. I'm calling AT&T as soon as I can get the iPhone box out of the shipping box and having them swap the Micro-SIM card number over to my line before I even plug the phone into iTunes.
    They will never have to deactivate service to his moms phone.

6. iPhone Addict thread starter macrumors 6502

I read about this on the forum in another thread but will I be able to just take the phone home and do this or will they require me to activate it there? And if they do require activation there, would they be able to do this trick for me first where I don't activate it and just have them switch the SIM card # (again being by myself without mom there)?

Thanks!

7. iBLAKEE macrumors 6502

They will require that you activate it there, more than likely, but letting them take care of it in the store would be the best bet so you can walk out with a fully activated iPhone ready to go.

8. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I talked to two guys when I called my local Apple store & they said they do everything there. I don't think they understood what I meant when I said i'm doing an upgrade swap, though. I don't see why they couldn't call an AT&T rep before they activate. We shall see.

9. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Yes you are doing a manual activation with a home delivery. The OP and the title clearly indicates that for their situation, they will be at an AT&T store for the activation step. :eek:

Your last statment is just plain wrong for the majority of customers that will be doing an Upgrade Swap in an AT&T COR location. :eek: While they don't have to touch the "Mom" line. It will happen more than once in the coming weeks. It happened with the iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS and you can bank of it happening again for the iPhone 4. Just think Micro SIM vs Mini SIM :eek: Thre will be lots of crazy posts about where do I get a new Micro SIM or Mini SIM, what's a SIM and where / how does the SIM go into the iPhone 4. They put them in upsidedown, strip off the fingers, jam the trays in the phone... you get the idea of what we have to look forward toooooo coming to a forum near you!!!!

Please, please if you offer advice or want to comment on how you are or how you would do an Upgrade Swap, don't just say it will for everyone. Never say never when it involves Apple and AT&T. Did you forget what is currently happening with the Pre-Order Charlie Foxtrot!!!!

Until June 24 the actual steps may change, so please check back here before you run down the hall with a sharp stick. It might hurt someone.

Dave