For user of: Omnioutliner and MacJournal - feedback?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sehnsucht77, Mar 10, 2009.

1. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

i would like to try these two programs so i am looking for feedback from people who have used both or one of these proggies with great experience. I need the following things from a note taking program and i need to know whichever one can provide me with them.

-centralized database for using searchable keywords spanning across ALL files (entries) in a given folder or topic. say i need to know if i took notes on a certain pharmaceutical compound or molecule at any time during the year i want to be able to search to those and review my notes.
    -easy backup of multiple database for my notes.
    -good company support
    -stable and customizable for outlining, class notes and including other media into my note taking files.

thanks for the help!

2. emt1 macrumors 65816

I have used OmniOutliner for several years and I really like it. I use it to take notes in class.

There is no "central database", but if you need to use search there's always spotlight.

Again, no databases. You are just saving files here, so if you can back up files easily...then you won't have problems.

I don't know what you mean by "company support"

It is very customizable

3. sehnsucht77 thread starter macrumors 6502

@emt1: by company support, i meant good support and feedback of problems in the software versus those DiY software operations where it is a single guy doing everything and addressing problems and glitches via updates are very far and few in between versions of a software. the last thing i need from a program that will serve as the center of my note taking system in grad school/med school studies is something that doesn't get good support and dedication from its producers. for this reason i am hesitant to use indie released software packages because they aren't always the best supported products.

thanks for the response. will spotlight search the terms in the documents themselves and not just the filename? forgive me but ive never used spotlight to this extent so i dont know if it can.

4. emt1 macrumors 65816

OmniOutliner is updated fairly often. Here are the release notes - note the dates.

http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnioutliner/releasenotes/

Also, Spotlight does search inside of the files.

See you in med school. :)

5. sehnsucht77 thread starter macrumors 6502

excellent thanks for the clarification. i've been in med school for a while (G2 of MD/PhD) and used One Note for a while but was always unsatisfied with it.

6. emt1 macrumors 65816

Which school?

7. sehnsucht77 thread starter macrumors 6502

HMS/MIT. i will look into OMniOutliner and see if I can get an educational discount through my local coop. thanks again.