Force iTunes to save back up? Help!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CBillups1, Jul 24, 2013.

1. CBillups1 macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

why wont my itunes save a seperate file for my iphone 5? it has 2 saved from different dates for a back up.

i want to save one recent in case something happens. all it does is update the top file which changes everytime my phone is synced and which is what screwed me when i went to iOS7 and went back since it automatically synced with iOS7 and over writed the file.

Attached Files:

2. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

I haven't done this in awhile, but it used to work.

Go to Settings > General > About (on iPhone) and change the name of your iPhone to something completely different.

Then, connect to iTunes. Right click iPhone and select "backup."

If memory serves me correctly, this will keep the old backup and give you a new backup because of differently named devices.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

4. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Changing the name does the trick. I just add the date to the name and it works perfectly

5. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

Did NOT work.

all it did was overwrite the TODAY file that always changed when i sync. did NOT make a new saved file..

WTF!

6. Fin745, Jul 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2013

Fin745 macrumors member

If that doesn't work then what worked for me was to change the name(by adding a number or letter) to the itunes backup file name itself, then iTunes will see them as two different backups.

iTunes will leave the older one intact and continue to update the latest one.

7. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

how can you edit the files? ive tried everything and it wont save a new archived file

8. Fin745 macrumors member

You don't edit the file names, just the main folder name that the backup files are in.

So in Windows my backup file is in C:\Users\PC\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\ebfebfa0e3ee105142407fd4972c96d28b8ade45

so the ebfebfa0e3ee105142407fd4972c96d28b8ade45 part just add any number or letter to it and itunes will see it as a older backup folder.

9. jer04 macrumors regular

jer04

you need to click 'backup' manually on itunes in order to get an individual backup file apart from the auto backup. the auto backup would just overwrite every time you sync.

10. Fin745, Jul 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2013

Fin745 macrumors member

Sorry, that's incorrect. The only time you get individual backup files is :

1. Software update

2. Restore

3. Sometimes you can get one if there is a "time lapse" between your first backup and when the next one is done.

Click Backup Now doesn't cause an individual backup file. The only difference from clicking backup now and auto syncing is how it's done(Manually vs Auto.).

The only way to be 100% you're getting more than one backup file that isn't continually being overwritten is to change the name of the individual backup folder that iTunes makes so it makes a new one.