Forced to chose Sprint or Verizon: Better of two evils?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RebootD, Jun 23, 2009.

1. RebootD macrumors 6502a

RebootD

I wanted to buy an iPhone for two years. I moved to a new town (in NW Indiana) and AT&T is the only provider I can't get service from. Long story short I got out of my contract (because I had no service unless I drove 2mi min in any direction) and it was spotty even then. I work from home so there you have the problem.

So now I've read and read and read about the Verizon (oh how I love your coverage but I hate your hardware-neutering) and the only real options are the no-so-liked BB Storm (clickity click!) or the 8300 or the Samsung Omnia that seemed slower than dirt. At sprint there was the Pre which has a very nice OS but the design of the phone itself is terrible or one of the few BB phones.

I guess my point (there is one) is it better to

A) Get a better network with Verizon and buy a neutered phone (no wi-fi or GPS)

B) Go with the schizophrenic Sprint and deal with their network/customer service with the Pre? Any thoughts from users of any of these devices/networks welcome.

2. why so serious macrumors newbie

I'd go with Verizon, and get the BlackBerry Tour when it is released (july 13th-ish is the rumor). They do not lock down their GPS anymore and it looks like the Tour will be one of, if not, the best smartphone on any CDMA network (perhaps excluding the Pre, I haven't played with one yet unfortunately).

Sprint has better pricing though

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

That's a no-brainer: Verizon. Go take a look at the coverage maps before choosing, but Verizon is all over like the plague. AT&T and Verizon are the big boys in the US.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'd say get the Pre and the all unlimited $99 plan if Im not mistaken.
    Neutered Verizon phones along with their nickel and dimeing their customers sucks.

5. RebootD thread starter macrumors 6502a

RebootD

That does look like a great option. My issue is that my wife is a RN who works nights so call me a paranoid husband I want to get her a phone asap :)

Then again I could just have her get hers and add mine later, it's been so long since I have to 'start a plan' I have no idea what the TOS are.

6. RebootD thread starter macrumors 6502a

RebootD

That is what I keep going back to about the network comparison. Plus I know in 1.5 years they (along with AT&T) are switching to LTE 4G Xtreme something (I feel like an old man with cell tech!) and that is a big deal for longevity. My problem is the phone selection was horrendous when I went to the store.

The 8300 (?) seemed very old and just dated while the storm's clickable screen made it seem as though I was having seizures while typing an email test. (I know some people get used to it but 5 min with it isn't enough time right?).

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Well, you won't find me claiming any BlackBerry is an awesome device. The clickable Storm screen has got to be the dumbest feature of that phone. I came from a couple of Razr phones before, so I didn't have to unlearn any BlackBerry stuff.

Yes, Sprint and Verizon's 4G network will be LTE, same as AT&T. But that still does crap for backward compatibility on iPhones. 3G is going to be the standard for at least the next three years. The 4G thing just seems to be like some arms race that doesn't mean much. My 3G connection has varied from 400kbps to 2.4Mbps. With AT&T moving to a top speed of 7.5 later this year, maybe those go up and maybe they don't. But I'd rather see 3G become robust everywhere than a few urban centers get 8 terabits/second connectivity. Hell, I don't even know at what point the extra network speed is worthless with the "slowness" of mobile hardware.

In short, I don't know much about Verizon or Sprint devices. :)

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Verizon without a doubt; Sprint has to have the ugliest phone line. Even the Pre is dang "fugly!" :eek::eek::eek:

9. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

10. Mengels7 macrumors regular

Sprint is already rolling out Wi-Max. This is their 4G network. They are morons, I'm sorry. You get what you pay for. Sprints prices are much lower. Sprint's network is of a much lower quality. I'm in Rochester, NY. It's an area where the big 3 have a huge presence and pump their networks up. Sprint falls short by a longshot. Verizon is the best, AT&T is second. I'm on AT&T for nothing more than the faster 3G, iPhone, and the nerdgasm that comes from using SIM chips after being locked down on Verizon.

Wi-Max is dumb. The rest of the world for the most part is going LTE. Sprint is hosed in the long run.

11. RebootD thread starter macrumors 6502a

RebootD

I agree on the future prospects that Spring is the odd-man out with WiMax vs everyone else going LTE/4G.

I think the nerd in me is having a hard time with the Verizon decision because there were no phones that really made me 'want' them. I agree the storm was the closest thing to the iPhone but the clickable screen just irked me the wrong way. They don't have the Bold just the older version. Bah why can't there be a better selection on other carriers!?

12. Smrtphoneaddict macrumors member

I agree wait for the Blackberry Tour. I think it's going to be a really good phone.

13. borekk macrumors newbie

I know that this is a slight side-track, but can someone explain to me about the joy/'nerdgasm' about using SIM cards/chips? I've only ever been on Sprint and I guess I just don't see the great bonus/advantage to SIM chips. Obviously I'm missing something because I see people talking about it all the time. What's so great about the concept?

14. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

I've used AT&T for my personal service for ever, forced to use both Sprint and Verizon for business at times. To keep it simple, Sprint blows. Since you seem to be in a less-populated area, get Verizon. Their 3G speeds are slow here, but being in the DC/Baltimore area = huge population.

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

If you have good Sprint coverage, their monthly price can't be beat. My son-in-law uses them in Florida and has no problems. After all, there's a great advantage to being one of the few 3G users on a network ;)

Plus Sprint users get to roam on Verizon, don't they?

If you're not in a hurry, Verizon is supposed to get the Omnia II later this year.

They don't remove WiFi if a phone comes with it on other CDMA carriers. There was just a lot less need when you have a huge EVDO network. Almost all their WM smartphones have WiFi. The Storm II, coming this fall, will also.

GPS is now allowed as well, with some phones getting a ROM update for it.

16. RebootD thread starter macrumors 6502a

RebootD

We are right on the edge of a more populated area (2 miles west and we would be in 3G heaven) but I have friends/family and all of the major minus ATT have coverage at my home area.

17. Torq macrumors regular

Sprint are going to wind up being relegated to a wireless ISP that happens to offer cell service. They will do great for wireless data, and get crushed by Verizon and AT&T in everything else (just my opinion, of course).

For cell phone purposes, regardless of the device, Verizon is the better option of the two. Yes, they are just as big a pack of bastards as AT&T (the integrated phone in my BMW is Verizon-only so I have first hand experience), but they do have solid coverage.

Twice I have bought phones and gotten service with Sprint ... mostly on account of some unique feature or plan that Sprint were offering at the time. In both cases I wound up cancelling within the evaluation period due to the coverage (data specifically) putting me on the wrong side of punitive/exclusionary contract terms.

18. RebootD thread starter macrumors 6502a

RebootD

I do get Sprint and Verizon in my area (and even TMOBILE) which is nice but also makes it more confusing! We are going to get service by this weekend because my wife is on the road alot for work and needs a phone ASAP so unfortunately I cannot wait too long for a new phone to arrive.

Right now after going out and playing with some phones it comes down to :

Verizon: Omnia or Storm
    Sprint: Pre or .. well they don't have much else
    TMOBILE: Samsung Memoir, G1 (seems slow and date though) Curve 8900

19. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I had Verizon for years and loved it

Customer Service was terrible but I never needed it because my phone worked fine and the service (phone connection wise) was great.

20. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

22. RebootD thread starter macrumors 6502a

RebootD

Well that Sprint is by far the most unloved of the carrier choices I have that is for sure. Thanks for the input at least it narrows it down a bit!

I keep thinking of going back to VZW because I never had an problem with their service and getting the Blackberry Storm or 8300 (their only two choices.)

23. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

As someone else mentioned, the Blackberry Tour 9630 should be out on Verizon by mid July.

Among other features, it's a World Phone with GSM as well as CDMA.

Since you need a phone right away, I'd get the nicest one they'll give you "free" with your contract, and sell it in a month or so if you want a different one.

(Look on eBay and see what your current choices are going for.)

24. bremb0 macrumors newbie

Do yourself a favor and please do not get the Storm. Rim failed hard on the Storm. If Sprint and Verizon both have good coverage in your area, why throw away money with Verizon? Verizon is the most overpriced carrier in the US.

25. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

How so?

Last I looked, VZW smartphone plans cost almost exactly the same as ATTs.

OTOH, certainly Sprint's plans are great, and they include TBT navigation too.