Forced to contribute to the destruction of the environment

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iVeBeenDrinkin', Dec 30, 2008.

1. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

So, I went to 7-11 (which is less than a half of a block from my house) to get a six pack of beer. As my name indicates, I like to drink. Anyway, there were several police officers inside, drinking coffee and eating donuts. I guess, taking a break. I thought nothing of them as I grabbed my favorite pale ale and headed toward check-out.

The clerk scanned my purchase and then went to grab a plastic bag. I told him, "I don't need the plastic bag, I am right next door."
    He said, "I have to bag it, it is a law and the cops are right there."
    "Fine!" I said, "I'll kill the environment for them."
    I took my bagged beer and walked the 25 feet home.

Now, I am mad enough to post a new thread. I am the guy who buys the re-usable bags because I deplore using one of the least biodegradable substances known to man to carry beer 25 feet. I know I could have just not bought the beer but, should I be forced to make such a decision?

2. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Thankfully a growing number of cities are instituting or at least considering bans on plastic bags. It might cause some inconvenience in the short term, but the Pacific Ocean already has a huge glut of plastic in it... we don't need to be adding to it.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Think of it this way... it is covering up the number of people stopping there to grab booze.

You are beautifying the neighborhood and covering up the helping cover up the pathetic drunk problem on your street.

What is better, a drunk street guy with vomit on himself and a bottle of Ripple in a brown bag... or a passed out drunk redneck swimming in vomit with 20 cans of empty beer cans around him?

Would really make you sad if you really knew hot many people around you stop there and walk home with booze if these wasn't a sack around the booze.

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

I'm yet to understand why anyone wants plastic bags to begin with. Paper is where it's at.

5. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Or maybe a re-usable cloth bag? Here in the States we can spend $700 billion for 'troubled assets' and give people $20 coupons for digital converter boxes... surely we could give a <$1 cloth bag to each citizen who wants one? But I digress... :p

6. iVeBeenDrinkin' thread starter macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

This statement does not really apply. I would gladly accept "brown-bagging" my alcoholic beverage purchase, to conceal it, if I had been given the choice. Those brown paper bags are much more enviro-friendly. Sadly, I was not given this choice at all.

Next time, I'll take my re-usable shopping bag in and take all 6 beers out of the cardboard six pack, and put them in my re-usable shopping bag. Then, I'll ask them to recycle the cardboard. That way, no one will see my 25 feet of criminal activity.

7. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Anything non-reusable is not usually okay by my standards. I only take a plastic bag if I don't have anything on me and have to carry whatever it is a large distance (and if there's a lot of it/it's large). Otherwise I shove everything in my messenger bag and/or canvas bags I bought from my local grocery store.

8. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Keep the bag and next time you go take said bag with you :) re-using it!

Or just put it in your plastic bin for recycling.

9. iVeBeenDrinkin' thread starter macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Good point, and I agree with you. I will use and recycle this bag. However, in the end, it would have been much more enviro-friendly if I did not have to use the bag at all.

10. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Not everywhere offers paper. When I lived in the US I liked paper over plastic too but I'm in the UK now. Other than department stores and some other retail/non-food places I have never seen a paper bag anywhere. The whole "paper or plastic" thing seems to be more of a thing in north america, at least as far as I can tell.

I am not sure how much better paper is really, especially if it's not recycled. The planet need trees too. The problem isn't so easy to fix when there are this many damn people on the planet.

We take resuable bags with us when we go shopping. It's the thing to do now, innit? :D

11. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I'd be surprised if your local council accepted carrier bags in the roadside plastics recycling bin. You might want to check with them because you could actually be doing a disservice. The larger supermarkets accept plastic bag for recycling.

We personally use large canvas bags which so far have lasted for 3 years which have saved approximately 1000 plastic bags.

12. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

What kind of BS law is that? Stuff must be in a bag? or is it just alchohol.

MyBags (reusable cloth bags) are big...ish here. Still alotta plastic. But everybody needs their designer reusable shopping bag right?

13. iVeBeenDrinkin' thread starter macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Paper vs Plastic is a dying breed in the US now too. I understand your point that paper bags take resources too but, they are far less damaging to the environment then plastic.

A lot of US retailers are selling re-usable bags, and now, they are in vogue. I feel this is one of the best alternatives. However, in most cases, no bag at all is the best. Do I really need a bag to walk a six pack of beer 25 feet?

14. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I thought that may be the case, that paper > plastic, but I've never looked into it. I miss paper bags sometimes but I do prefer the reusables now. They're tougher and they pack so much nicer. (It is rare that anyone packs your bags for you here, you do it yourself while the cashier sits on their butt. They ask if you need help packing but it's rare to see it actually happen. It takes longer without someone to pack but this country LOVES queueing :p)

I think it's a stupid law that you have to have a bag to hide your booze, especially in a situation like the one you were in. It's one of many stupid laws though really.

15. garybUK Guest

garybUK

We have several bins, a Black for General Waste, Blue for Paper, Brown for Garden Waste, Green Bin is for Glass, it has a Red Sack inside for :

Plastic bottles, Plastic Bags, Plastic food wraps (if no food stuffs has come into contact) e.g. the plastic wrapping around 6 pack of coke cans) and you can also put material in a plastic bag and tied up.

They alternate collections e.g. Week1 = Black, week2 = blue, week 3 = black, week4 = green & red, week 5 = black, week 6 = brown

it has vastly reduced our waste in general landfill waste as a household with 5 adults!

16. iVeBeenDrinkin' thread starter macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I love self checkout! Most grocery stores have it here now.

17. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I've gotten used to packing my own items but it got me all frazzled when I first moved here. It definitely takes longer but you don't get watermelons placed on top of your eggs and bread and other odd choices baggers sometimes make with your stuff.

18. iVeBeenDrinkin' thread starter macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Ha Ha, when I was 16, I was the bag boy putting the melons on top of your eggs and bread. Man, I feel bad now...I hate smashed bread!

BTW, we asked paper or plastic back then!

19. iGav macrumors G3

AFAIK, store & supermarket plastic bags here have been fully biodegradable for some years now, they really don't take long to break down at all, even in unfavourable conditions, as I found out when stuff I bagged and put in my mums attic for storage turned to dust within 6 months. :eek:

I find such offers of assistance are far more forthcoming if you happen to wear mittens. ;)

20. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

LOL! <- no, I really did.

Or boxing gloves, maybe.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh what a lovely day it is.

Say, what's that? I felt a few drops on my arms. No, nobody is peeing on my from above.. Hmm.

*cue rainfall and destroyed paper bags*

22. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I have a few of those. They're much sturdier than anything else..

23. djellison macrumors 68020

Of course, you've now doubled the carbon problem, by having a computer on long enough to post this thread :)

Try taking your own bag? That's what's being pushed for loads in the UK at the moment. You can buy a 'bag for life' which is a much stronger bag from most supermarkets. You're encouraged to re-use them. If they break - they'll replace it for free.

Doug

24. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's the alcohol (and possibly just the USA). I usually don't have large / heavy things bagged, since they're easier to carry by their handles, but I have occasionally been told this about alcohol (sometimes they also do give it to me unbagged).

P.S. Don't ask them to recycle the cardboard, just to be nasty. The great likelihood is they don't recycle anyways. You're better taking it home and recycling yourself. But you might right the story as a letter and send it to them corporate. Maybe someone on their corporate team who actually cares about the environment can use you as a case example of reasons why they should be more conscious.

25. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

so you take the plastic bag as a good law abiding citizen and then recycle it or bring it with you on your next 7-11 visit.
    The clerk is only doing their job.