Forced to do AT&T Next Plan - can I just buy the phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jeffu, Nov 2, 2017.

1. jeffu macrumors member

Hi all - so like many, I got up in the middle of the night, placed my order for the X and got an order placed. Then I got the "reservation" e-mail that said they couldn't connect with AT&T so I had to go through the service again - only this time it only let me do one of the AT&T Next plans. So I did that and put a huge down payment on it - it only let me go up to $999.

Now my question - I assume I can just pay off the balance immediately and be done with payments and the phone is mine as if I had just bought it, right?

Or can I "return" the phone on paper and just pay full price like I wanted to at the beginning?

I'm not sure that it matters - I'm not aware of any extra fee for doing the next program?

Thanks!

2. penajmz macrumors 68040

penajmz

Yes, you can pay off the balance to AT&T in one sum and be done with it.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yup, just pay it off, I'm not sure why carriers push people to these payment plans - other then to try to lock you in for 2 years

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

The lock. Churn is expensive and w/o subsidies they need to trap people somehow. I wouldn't be too shocked if the carriers told Apple they'd appreciate higher MSRP phone prices so it would be harder for people to afford buying them outright.

5. pcorrado macrumors 6502

Keep in mind that you may have to wait until after the return period to pay it off - 15 days. This is how Verizon works (to slow down scalping perhaps?)