Forced to update Nike series 3 to Watch OS 5, battery hammered

Chopmunky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2015
After I updated my XS Max to iOS 12.2, a message popped up to say that my Nike Series 3 needed to update to Watch OS5. I really wasn’t keen on doing this - I’ve resisted updating because I’ve been really happy with the product out Ld the box and wasn’t interested in any of the new features. However, update I did and it’s seriously impacted my Watch’a battery performance. I use mine predominantly for work: timing the dog walks I undertake for customers and keeping on top of their messages.

The Watch lasted just seven hours, packing in just as I was finishing my last group dog walk. Within that time, I’ve undertaken three hour-long walking workouts, usual for my day-to-day business.

It’s now back on charge and I feel my Watch has been seriously hampered by this new update. I’ve little or no recourse to remedy this situation and I’ve a horrible feeling I’m simply going to end up having to buy an updated Watch which will have the battery life I used to expect.

I don’t suppose anyone else has experienced this? Not just the drain but the being forced to update software in this manner?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
What I'm about to say could be placebo effect, but I would do a full reboot of both the phone and the watch. But before you do that, go into the Watch app on the iPhone and check out the battery stats. If your standby and usage times are too close, it's probably a rouge app that is stuck. For the record, on my S2 watch, the Usage time is about 15% (or so) of the Standby time.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I noticed no difference on my SBSS AW4 after the update. Try unpairing and repairing to see if that helps!

Use it for a few days and see how it goes.
Unpairing and re-pairing is a total pain in the @$$ if you're into your fitness excercises. The calibration data gets wiped in the process, so you'll have to do a GPS walk and run to redo the calibration.

So if you do go down this route, make sure you pick a day that has decent weather so that you can recalibrate your stride, etc. outdoors.

distemp

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2011
After I updated my XS Max to iOS 12.2, a message popped up to say that my Nike Series 3 needed to update to Watch OS5. I really wasn’t keen on doing this - I’ve resisted updating because I’ve been really happy with the product out Ld the box and wasn’t interested in any of the new features. However, update I did and it’s seriously impacted my Watch’a battery performance. I use mine predominantly for work: timing the dog walks I undertake for customers and keeping on top of their messages.

The Watch lasted just seven hours, packing in just as I was finishing my last group dog walk. Within that time, I’ve undertaken three hour-long walking workouts, usual for my day-to-day business.

It’s now back on charge and I feel my Watch has been seriously hampered by this new update. I’ve little or no recourse to remedy this situation and I’ve a horrible feeling I’m simply going to end up having to buy an updated Watch which will have the battery life I used to expect.

I don’t suppose anyone else has experienced this? Not just the drain but the being forced to update software in this manner?
I came here with the same issue. I never had to worry about charging my watch until bedtime and I just had it die at 3PM after putting it on at 9AM.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Unpairing and re-pairing is a total pain in the @$$ if you're into your fitness excercises. The calibration data gets wiped in the process, so you'll have to do a GPS walk and run to redo the calibration.

So if you do go down this route, make sure you pick a day that has decent weather so that you can recalibrate your stride, etc. outdoors.
Sometimes life is a pain in the A$$, you just have to push through it.

Of the two times I have had glitches with my watch and rebooting would not fix it, a unpair and repair fixed it right away.

LOL! Never calibrated my watch and it has always been quite accurate so your watch must hate you!:p