"Ford moving all production of small cars from U.S. to Mexico"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Sep 15, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Good old NAFTA. TPP is going to be great. A related article:

How the Democrats Lost Touch on Trade

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Workers in the US will build trucks and SUVs instead, which should provide more job security because they're more popular than small cars and have higher profit margins. Nobody wants to be working on the assembly line of a car model with declining sales.

4. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Tack that onto the growing lists of good jobs that Unions have killed.

5. thermodynamic thread starter Suspended

thermodynamic

Because unions don't want to live like slaves just so management can buy another yacht or face another class action lawsuit because the defective stuff made caused accidents, lost time, lost money, maybe a death or two?

6. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

If you don't want to "live like slaves" (although slavery is much worse), get new skills, a degree, network.

7. thermodynamic thread starter Suspended

thermodynamic

That sounds like what's going on, I agree. Ford trucks are typically of high quality. For smaller vehicles, they've not been as good, to say the least...

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Did you even RTFA?

9. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

No because unions would rather have a company close up shop and every one lose their job vs conceding their list of demands. See Hostess

10. thermodynamic thread starter Suspended

thermodynamic

People already know this, have you ever done calculations on college costs, return on investment in an average tenure in a job before one has to switch careers again, how much college used to cost, and so on? And those are by no means the only factors involved, especially with a bachelor's degree being a minimum requirement AnD years of experience for even the few remaining entry level jobs...

I'm going to wager "no" given the oversimplified response that's worthy of stereotyped used car salesman.

11. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I don't know that acronym, enlighten me.

12. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

Until gas goes back up to $3+ a gallon and people suddenly stop buying trucks and SUV's. Then what? You really think they're going to move production BACK to the US?

Highly doubtful IMO.

13. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

When labor unions were strong and before NAFTA, CAFTA, and other trade deals, American industrial might was second to none.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Of course. Let's blame the workers while the revolving door of executives raped the company.

15. thermodynamic thread starter Suspended

thermodynamic

I can't disagree that today's unions have moved things too far in the opposite direction compared to how nasty and anti-life working conditions were 100 years ago, but after 36 years of trickle down and all the charts and graphs that show how much more has flowed to the top but nothing has trickled down despite the big claims, never mind decreased product quality due to estimators and CxOs demanding quality cuts to materials and manufacturing processes be made to "improve the bottom line for share holders" via planned obsolescence or other problems (but still trying to sell only the brand name as worthy of repurchase), it only proves unions are still needed - unfortunately.

16. yaxomoxay, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016

yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Considering that I come from another land, considering that I have no degree, yet at first I landed a job in Aerospace R&D thanks to specialized programming skills, considering that now I completely changed my field (accepting a pay cut) to public administration by gaining other skills, considering that I am currently working full time also attending 5 (five) classes while being a father of two trying not to miss anything, considering that I spend much energy and effort in networking, and considering that my beloved and I were able to get her out of college with a Bachelor's and zero student debt (*).... yeah, I think I can give some sort of opinion on the issue.

EDIT: (*) just for full disclosure. I over-exaggerated here. We got about $1,000.00 (onethousand, no cents) in student debt.

17. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

How ironic that American auto workers will have to cross into Mexico to find a job.o_O

18. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

America was made great by screwing the poor why stop now?

19. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

(some) American born Americans are so lucky, yet they don't appreciate it or see it.
    It pisses me off.

20. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Exactly.

Guilt-free, I could combine a sunny vacation wtih the purchase of a new car I can afford.

I hope my ancient Prizm (a Chevy-Toyota mix) doesn't take offense in the meantime. :D

21. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

22. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

That's okay. Trump will take care of the problem right after he gets around to his own outsourcing problem. :rolleyes:

Of course the facts of this story are a little different than it would appear from a mere headline:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/15/news/companies/ford-trump-jobs/

23. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Noooo, not you!
    That's HR terminology... they will make an offer ("move to mexico within the next month"), people will have to refuse it. No "job loss" caused by Ford.

24. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I'll go so far and say that most Americans born in the past 70 years are lucky, our standard of poverty is outright rich in many other countries.

25. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

And then we all got TV sets, started looking under the beds for pinko commies, and could only come up with Archie Bunker. How we sometimes squander our strengths. Always stirring the pot though, it's what makes us a world class wonderment, just ask anyone in any other country. We have the most amazing ideas. Imagine Donald Trump as President! /S

I agree we were better off before we thrashed unions off the maps just because some of them went too far in the perks and benefits department. Baby, bathwater, an old story. College grad students will help bring it back again, they're finally making some headway out of serfdom as instructors. They won't forget the lessons when they get out of academia. Those guys, and American nurses are who will make it work again in the USA by example of consumer benefit, not just worker protection.

It may take a couple generations for unions to catch on again well enough to make a union membership become something generally respected again, rather than suspected.