Foreign stolen iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by t01, Mar 12, 2013.

1. t01 macrumors newbie

*I cannot give back this iPhone to its owner of carrier since this piece of equipment has been brought to my country from overseas

A friend of mine bought an iPhone 4S from CL-ish website here in Peru. The iPhone is locked to Tigo, a bolivian carrier. I have helped her in finding someone in Bolivia who can offer the unlocking service so she can use it here.

The service man told me the iPhone has been reported stolen in Bolivia. Here comes the question:

Can a stolen iPhone be unlocked and work outside the country where it has been reported stolen?

Please take into account this is not US, I've read that US carriers do not block iPhones internationally but EU carriers do.

Thanks in advance!

2. macMD macrumors 6502

macMD

That's a good question, the only way to find out is to unlock it and put a SIM into it. But I would have to ask, why would anyone want to use a phone that they know is stolen. I know there is no way to return it to the owner, but I'm not sure what it could be used for other than an iPod Touch.

3. t01 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's already being used as an iPod Touch, we want to active it.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Get it unlocked via IMEI unlock. Used to be a few on ebay for about $5-10, but they seem to have shut down. There are still sites online this can be done, usually to the tune of $50.

5. t01 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I want to know. If a blacklisted iPhone can be imei unlocked and work. I've read in these forums that if it has been reported stolen in a certain country the equipment cannot function in said country but it can work overseas. I want to confirm that info.

6. 617aircav Suspended

It can be imei unlocked but still won't work in the country it was blacklisted. May work somewhere else. Att blacklisted iPhone 5 will work on Vodafone UK, but not on Telus in canada. I know because I tried.

7. t01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you know if this is standard practice for all carriers?