Forged NSA documents are being sent to news media

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Tapiture, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Tapiture, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017

Tapiture macrumors 6502

^Video starts where she gets to the point.

Seems to me like someone is trying to discredit the media in case a real “smoking gun” is found.

2. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Definitely. I'm really glad that Maddow and NBC are on to that nonsense. The dictators of the world would like nothing better than to destroy the free press so they could have only their point of view out there and never be questioned. We cannot let that happen.

3. darksithpro, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017

darksithpro macrumors regular

The topic and the context is too vague. It specifically targets RM at NBC News. Looks like the second most news watched network, behind FN, and she seems to have one of the highest ratings on that network. Governments leaking factual and fake documents to media is nothing new. It's been going on for a very long time. It's a form of information warfare and politics. Interestingly enough if the NSA did have something that implicated Trump it probably would have already come out by now. Every phone call and email ever made since the mid 2000's has probably been data mined and put inside huge data bases by our government. So IMO there's no way our government would let Trump continue to run the country and go to the G20 and mingle with other leaders if they had proof he was committing some form of espionage with the Russians. I think you anti-trump guys and gals are really hoping for some smoking gun miracle that just isn't there. Perhaps it was our own intelligence services that gave away the emails as a way to prevent someone from gaining office, who had so much disregard for security protocols when it comes to secret and classified information.

4. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Keywords:

For instance, does anyone know what was really said in the room today outside of Putin, Trump, Tillerson and his Russian counterpart plus two translators? No..we don't. That is a pretty tight circle and all we have to go on is official statements.

There could be a lot that even the NSA was not and is still not privy too. Unfortunately.

5. darksithpro, Jul 7, 2017

You can bet your behind that room was bugged by German intelligence and probably other high level intelligence agencies. Also, it's almost 100% guaranteed Putin, and, or his aids where wired and probably the same for Trump and his aids. That was not a secure location in any sense and I bet both parties knew they where being listened to.

It's probably likely, that Merkel, along with other G20 leaders have a full recording of the two hour and 16 minute meeting and discussion between Trump and Putin, and are right now going through it with their leadership, or already have listened to it in it's entirety.

6. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

No. I don't agree with that at all. There would be no reason to limit the participation so severely under that scenario. I am sure both governments swept the room for bugs prior to their conversation. I don't know about wires...I would think both sides would want to guard against that too.

7. darksithpro, Jul 7, 2017

You're dealing with the most powerful governments of the world, of course there are going to be listening devices planted all over that place by the German Government. This is what the US, Russia, China, any any other powerful country would do if they where hosting. It may appear all fun and games, with friendly handshakes and cooperation on the surface, but I guarantee you the G20 is definitely swarming with government spies to find out what the other players are up to. I wouldn't be surprised if half of the servants, hosts and cooks where spies.

8. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

The most powerful governments in the world is a two way street kind of thing. You don't think they take countermeasures?

9. darksithpro macrumors regular

Don't you think it would be rather rude and disrespectful to sweep for bugs if you're an invited guest? We saw none of that happen. Lets not play stupid here. If you where Merkel and knowing your disdain for Trump here in these forums, I would bet some serious cash you would bug Trump and Putin if you had the ability to do so. Don't lie, or be dishonest, you would hope for a bug to reveal what they talked about and to burn them. Be honest, man.

10. Gutwrench Suspended

Gutwrench

She's painful to watch. So so so many words and nothing said. I had to shut it off about the midway point. Maybe the second half will make a difference.

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You have to ask the obvious question.

WHO is in charge of the NSA ?

12. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

If this is "News" why is it on a commentary segment? The "Rachel Maddow Show" on MSNBC is news commentary/opinion segment NOT news.

13. Tapiture thread starter macrumors 6502

If Trump and Putin really thought they were being listened to anyway, then why did they limit it to just these three people? They could’ve allowed other people in. Also, Tillerson said they talked about an ISIS partnership and the election hacking, but Putin immediately dismissed that right away. Seems like 2.5 hours is a long time to discuss those things.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 8, 2017 ---
    She can get a bit long winded and talk things up a lot. I don’t personally watch her, but whether you like her or not this story is important.
    You obviously didn’t watch the video. It’s because her show was sent the forged documents. Her show has a website where you can send tips and that’s where someone sent the forged documents.

14. Gutwrench Suspended

Gutwrench

I typically don't watch her either, but will from time to time just to hear what's being discussed. I can't speak too much on this because I haven't heard the whole clip, and Ambien had long kicked in when I heard the first half.

It might be an important story but the way news (and opinion based shows) embellishes, twists, and contorts stories so that something is nefarious or innocuous leaves me skeptical.

Oddly I am tempted to give her story equal or a slight edge of deference for credibility over CNN. (That's how far CNN has fallen.)

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

*Sigh.* Just the latest attempt by the fake news people to discredit the legitimate news media.

I agree, it is alarming, though. News organizations are going to have to step up their game and correctly vet their sources 100% of the time, because the Trump propagandists are always ready to cry fake news.

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Probably wanted to see how low their investigative bar has gone. CNN has been running garbage that has gotten people fired.

17. Huntn, Jul 8, 2017

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

It is vague from what we know. However we know that Trump was waving around Wiki Leaks during his campaign praising the Russians and inviting them to hack us some more, and that he had 2 Russian moles on his payroll. And one of those moles he vigilantly defended after he was outed, seeking to shield him from the law. Just on this basis in years past, that would have disqualified Trump for the Presidency in the eyes of voters, but we are one sick country today.

And it's not far fetched at all, that information was passed to the Russians from the Trump Campaign with or without his knowledge or using the plausible deniability standard. We have ongoing investigations which will hopefully shed some light on the level of Trump involvement which may turn out to be nothing, beyond what I've already described which still disqualifies him as being President.

18. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Thanks Rachael for confirming that the whole Russia/Trump story is fake.

19. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

You must be wearing those 99% blinders. See post 17. Besides aren't you one of our forum members who don't believe anything she says? :)

20. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Rachel should have all 17 intelligence agencies investigate.

21. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Not often you and I are on a same page but this is one of those times. :D I could not watch this thing anywhere near as far as you did. The issues raised do matter, but I'm going to have to read about them someplace; I'm not going back to give the video another shot.

22. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Not surprising, especially after the WH was outed trying to pass on BS thinking nothing was vetted. Yawn

23. darksithpro macrumors regular

Regardless of what you, or any of us say, you have no right to decide what qualifies him to be POTUS. That is your opinion.

Haha, thumbs up. That describes her well...

24. Huntn, Jul 8, 2017

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Funny how that works. If he had been a Democrat, the GOP would have spared no expense to denounce him. Until this election those praising and making excuses for Russia would not have been elected period especially by Republicans.

Btw, how do I not have a right, I vote. :rolleyes:

25. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

The Sean Hannity of the the left.