Forget battery life, I want to see faster charging.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SVTmaniac, Feb 8, 2014.

1. SVTmaniac macrumors 6502

I personally think the new rMBP's and the Airs have decent battery life. Sure it could always be better, but I'd like to see some advancement in the speed at which a battery charges. I charged my 13" rMBP from a 5% charge this morning and while I wasn't timing it exactly, I know it took over two hours to fully charge.

How nice would it be to come home with a MacBook that's almost dead, plug it in and by the time you're out of the shower it's fully charged and ready for another 8 hours of use? Am I the only one that thinks they charge way too slow?

2. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Faster Time = Heat = Hurt

One known fact to consider, Fast Charging (and the HEAT incurred) will Dramatically Reduce the Life Expectancy of a Battery.. So, until that fact can be changed 'in a positive way' I doubt that there will be any dramatic advancements in charge-time required.. Sadly..

3. SVTmaniac thread starter macrumors 6502

But if there were a way to increase the charging speed and keep the battery cool then that would be amazing. I started thinking about this after I got my new phone a few days ago. Not only does it have a battery that last two days, it fully charges in the time it takes me to shower and get ready to go out for the night. I know that batteries today charge faster than they use to, but I'd still like to see this improve more.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

It would because you would have to defeat or overcome a basic electrical law, namely Ohm's Law.

A key part of the problem is that faster charging essentially means putting more current into the battery. The law involves the square of the current so to halve the charging time you would (roughly) need to double the current - but the catch is doubling the current gets you 4x the heat generated...which is why you rapidly end up with damaged batteries....

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

You should talk to Tesla about this. The huge bottleneck for electric cars is to charge them fast enough so they become usable for longer trips.

However it turns out that the best way to recharge a car quickly is to swap the battery... while as mentioned above, battery charging is limited by physics.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Fast charging is typically harder on batteries and typically shortens their lifespan, to that point I'm happy we don't see that from apple. I don't mind having the rMBP plugged in to slowly charge up the battery - just my $.02

7. SVTmaniac thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the lesson on battery charging and heat, good info to know. I understand that current battery technology can't be charged any faster, but my point was that I'd like to see new technology that CAN be charged faster.