Forget MACBOOK get SONY VAIO NS series Laptop- New-Sony: Entry-level Vaios are best

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by riz78612, Oct 1, 2008.

1. riz78612 macrumors regular

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tab=wn&q=SONY+VAIO+ns&scoring=n

Sony: Entry-level Vaios are best ever

Sony: "entry-level Vaios to compete on price"

Aggressive pricing but 'still aspirational'

Bringing up the budget rear is the NS series. Think of this as your "Tesco Value" to the AW series "Finest". It does pack a steady load of features not to be quaffed at, including 4096MB of memory, a motion eye web cam and runs on the latest Intel Core processor. For the pretty poultry price of £499 the 15" screen is pretty impressive and compared to the price of other budget notebooks, VAIO's done good.

http://www.t3.com/news/sony-launches-a-raft-of-new-vaio-laptops?=36835

2. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

Seeing as this website is full of Mac Fanboys (and I use that in the nicest possible sense) should you not join a Vaio Fanboy website? :rolleyes:

*EDIT*
    Sorry, maybe I was a bit harsh with that comment. I suppose it is relevant because that is the target market for the lower end MacBoks. I still wouldn't be tempted though.

3. Aranince macrumors 65816

One of the main problems I have with PC laptops is the amount of junkware they preload on it. Unless there is none, or its really easy to erase, I won't consider it.

4. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Nice opinion and I wish you the best of luck.

5. polaris20 macrumors 68020

OMG I am getting sick of these threads. Maybe I should just start posting Ubuntu Linux threads, because they're just as relevant. I'm sure you all want to read about that, right?

:rolleyes:

To the OP: find yourself a nice PC, then a PC forum to go along with it, and have fun. We're happy for you. Really, we are.

6. riz78612 thread starter macrumors regular

i am a fan of macs and macbook pros. Reason i posted here, i think it would be a good consideration instead of a Mac.

Im between 2 thoughts buying this or new macbook pro.

Im going to wait next month and see how the macbook pro is. But the price is going to be around above 1000 pounds.

For similar spec Sony Vaio NS series is a good deal and it has BLU ray...wooowww...lol

for 450 pounds you get 3Gb ram, 320Gb hardrive. Now thats sweet for 450 pounds what you mac fans reckon.

7. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

Windows...

Still windows at the end of the day...

Sadly..

8. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I have to agree. We aren't a PC forum, and most users, well, dislike PC's altogether.

9. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

I don't hate my PC. I just despise the operating system I am stuck with for now:rolleyes:

10. tiguk macrumors 6502

You're not stuck with it, just buy a Mac like I did!

Thanks, Microsoft, for giving me all the reason I needed to go Apple! Vista. :p

11. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

haha well said!

12. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

13. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

14. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I'd rather take my money outside set it on fire and then pee on it than waste it on another PC.

15. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Not at this time. They have x4500hd video cards, for which there are no OS X drivers (hopefully that'll change with the new MacBooks and Minis). On top of all this, the Sony NS uses a T5800 cpu, which is substantially less powerful than the current MacBook (probably even less than the 2 gHz Mini, too). This Sony is probably no match for the MacBook.

16. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Thanks for the links. Some nice options. I think I prefer the FW line though. We have 4 Macs and have almost completely eliminated the PCs from our home, however, I do like this Sony:

VGN-FW292 Configure-to-Order
    VGN-FW292 Graphic Splash
    LCD 16.4" (XBRITE-ECO™ 1600x900)
    Fresh Start™ (no bloatware)
    250 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive [5400 rpm]
    WLAN (802.11a/b/g/n) with integrated Bluetooth® technology
    ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3650 with 512MB vRAM
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor P8600 (2.40GHz)
    Blu-ray Disc™ Read Only Drive
    Colorful
    Microsoft® Windows Vista® Business 32-bit with Service Pack 1
    2 GB DDR2-SDRAM (DDR2-800, 1GBx2)

All for $1394.

If Apple could give me that config, I'd pay $1699 just to have a Mac. Actually rather stylish for a PC and I like the ATI graphics.

Cheers,

17. DSG macrumors regular

The new Vaio TT makes the Air look a bit pathetic too. If it wasn't for OS X there is no way Apple could get away with their current line-up and pricing.

18. BenEndeem macrumors 6502

I like the sony Vaio, but I'd still rather have a MacBook as I do now.

Even if Macs didn't exist, I'd probably consider a laptop from the Samsung X Series running either Vista Business or XP Professional (optional downgrade, which I'd probably take). Sony would be an obvious second though.

Fortunately though, Macs do exist so that's not a choice I've had to make, but I must admit I've yet to be dissatisfied with a Samsung or Sony product.

19. jaytv111 macrumors regular

The TT is waaaaay too expensive though, if you get all the options that is. but then again, i think most netbooks (asus eee, msi wind, etc) are better than the Air, they're cheaper, smaller, and are pretty much just as useful.

The Macbook is probably the best Apple laptop right now. It's cheap and powerful, and that works for most consumers. The Pro, however, lacks much needed features and costs a lot, and the Air should have been a netbook. I guess it's true, OS X is all Apple needs to keep their sales afloat. I guess it shows how bad Vista has been in the marketplace, you can bet Microsoft won't make the same mistakes again with Windows 7 (or they'll come up with a whole new round of mistakes, haha).

20. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Alienware do it on a daily basis.

Edit: I just looked at the TT. Slower processor, thicker, more expensive.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

While that thing sure has some nice specs (apart from the blue ray with no HDMI, seriously, whats the point of that?), windows is windows.

22. DSG macrumors regular

Thicker yes - but a far, far, far more useful size due to its smaller footprint. Also a higher resolution screen (despite being physically smaller), blue-ray, HDMI-out, dual 128mb SSD, no silly sharp edges. Giving the Air the same footprint as the MacBook was, frankly, lazy.

23. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

All the lowdown is on the Sony B2B Website even though the usual gadget blogs haven't picked up on it yet.

Ironic that one of the key selling points flagged up is that it still runs XP. Guess that says something about business adoption of Vista.

The Z Series is one of the nicest laptops on the market.

The TT shares much of the design of the Z Series, but obviously is smaller and lighter.

These are outstanding products which raise the bar quite considerably.

I think Apple has been cruising a bit with the hardware since completing their ambitious switch to the intel architecture.

The MacBook Pro has basically been the same case for the last 5 years, which is why it will be interesting to see what they have in two weeks.

With the entire MacBook range approaching EOL, now is just about the worst, most pointless time to compare them with anything.

24. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

25. lamadude macrumors 6502

Or linux! First thing I do when buying a pc laptop is installing ubuntu, so I actually prefer as much junkware as possible for my pc (since they subsidize the pc and I wipe the hard drive anyway)

I think it's fair to talk about laptops without taking into account the OS for a while, just to be able to compare the specs and design. Otherwise we can never mantion any pc laptop ever again, and where's the fun in that?