Formating a USB flash disk to boot Mac OS X and also have a FAT32 or NTFS vol on it

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iVoid, Feb 18, 2011.

1. iVoid macrumors 65816

I have a 32GB flash drive that I want to use as a Mac OS X boot drive for intel Macs, but I'd also like to have a small FAT32 partition on it (just for data, doesn't need to boot Windows).

Since it has to boot Intel macs, it has to be partitioned with the GUID scheme.

While the Mac can format a partition as Fat32, Windows boxes won't usually recognize it.

I've tried to format and partition on a Windows box, but haven't any additional luck on that side (windows doesn't seem to like the GUID partition scheme and can only format the first partition (a 200MB partition used for the EFI system partition)).

Any advice?

2. larkost macrumors 6502a

No, it does not. Intel Macs can boot from AMP, GUID, or MBR partitioned drives. The volume has to be HFS*, and the installer discs will only install to GUID disks, but you can boot from any of those.

Some versions of Windows (most at this point, if fully updated) will read GUID discs (booting is a whole other kettle of fish).