Former Aide McClellan Blames Bush, Rove in CIA Leak

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by solvs, Nov 20, 2007.

1. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601070&sid=aoeVzcoWZAqc&refer=home

Wonder how many posts it will take for someone to say Plame wasn't undercover (not true, she was), or that it's somehow not that big of a deal. Or that it's ok because Clinton did it too. Or comment only on my spelling. FYI, Prosecutor Fitzgerald never actually closed the case, so it's still technically open.

Not that anything will happen of course though, even though (again) they've been caught red handed.

2. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

this smacks of Watergate. Again, it's not so much the crime committed but the cover up.

Just bought Plame's book, looking forward to reading what is left after the CIA got their hands on it...

3. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Well, the crime's pretty bad (as are the reasons for why they committed it), but yeah, the cover up just made things worse. Not that Bush will have to resign or face impeachment like Nixon did, but it's a big black mark on an already unpopular administration. Sometimes I think they set the bar so low, rather than be outraged over things like this, no one is surprised. What disappoints me is that some of the same people who wrap themselves in the flag defend this, which is actually the definition of treason.

It's heavily redacted, but I love that she left it as is, inked out with black marks and all. Especially where, as you'll be able to see, in context it's obvious they went a little overkill. She was joking about it on the talk show circuit. They blacked out a story she was telling about breast feeding. Especially ironic that a lot of what the CIA tried to get her to remove is well known thanks to her outing, but she still can't talk about it. Sadly, she's also hinted that people have been hurt or killed because of the leak. I doubt we'll ever even know how much damage is done, especially since the administration is still blocking any probe of it, despite what Bush said after it happened.

I'm sure there will be people coming in her, trying to divert the issue by saying things like how she enjoys being a "celebrity" in the limelite, failing to say how that excuses what has been done to her.

4. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

So, if she's a woman scorned, and with nothing left to lose, does that make her more or less dangerous than a man with nothing left to lose, who may or may not be scorned?

Topically, I've actively surprised by how little the media in the States, and here in Canada as well, is willing to step up to the plate and ask the tough questions that need to be asked. We're just continually allowing ourselves to be cordoned off with access only to the most sterilized information.

5. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

I agree, the crime is far worse than any committed during the whole watergate saga. As a side note, I'm re-reading Madeline Albright's autobiography at the moment, she talks about how a fundraiser for Muskie in 72 went all wrong and only found out a few years later she was the victim of one of Donald Segretti's "rat ****ing" jobs.

I saw her on the Daily Show with Jon Stewart talking about her book. Will be interesting to read the afterword from the publisher, as the CIA can't stop them from writing what they want.

6. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

When the head of an intelligence ring is compromised, the entire network goes down. There will often be some bloodletting of the 'known associates'. But, even if some do not get drawn in, they cannot be trusted again, especially if they remain in place. It is not uncommon for them to be turned to counter intelligence. Also, they may be left alone, but fed false information. That is why you hear people say, "Year's of work were lost...". It takes years to build a good intelligence network. But, once compromised, you have no choice but to just shut it down.

Losing the network, and possibly the lives of agents, is just part of the price you pay. How secure would you feel, working for a foreign intelligence organization who has proven they will compromise you for political gain at home? Would you risk your life for people like that? It is very difficult to recruit good field operatives. This type of BS sets your entire intel effort back. You have lost your credibility.

Since waterboarding is not torture, I think I know a way to get to the bottom of what happened here.

7. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Didn't they also leak some info a private security firm had been working years to build, that they had to throw out and start again from scratch?

8. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Yes, they did. In fact, there were three leaks by the WH. This one is the most recent, and one you were thinking of perhaps? It does not involve Valerie's network, but it is just one more example of the administration using secret intel to further their political agenda. Even those members who support the WH cannot condone their inability to safeguard America, when they purposely expose national security intel. This is treason!

It has now come to light, Agent Plame's network was mainly charged with assessing IRAN'S nuclear weapons program, not Iraq's. There are many analysts who believe she, and her network, were outed to prevent her from raising flags against the claim that Iran was close to developing a nuclear weapon. She, and other intel professionals, are on record as being able to prove that Iran is year's away from developing a nuclear capability. It seems like the same lies are being readied to make a compelling case to invade Iran.

In the run-up to the invasion of Iraq, the few who were asking the hard questions, and writing hard journalism, were few and largely ignored. When Senator Kennedy made an impassioned speech, about the numerous flaws in the WH's case for war, it received one sentence in the Washington Post (one of the most liberal newspapers in the country); a total of 18 words from the leading Democrat in the Nation. When 100,000 anti-war marchers demonstrated at the capital, the Washington Post gave it one small picture, with caption, on their 'metro page'. The largest citizen protest, since the Vietnam war, rated a 'brownie-sized' picture, and a dozen words.

Now, we have the same people beating the drums for another invasion. They are re-cycling the same lies, invoking the same fears. However, the WH is not finding the going as easy as last time. The information underground has come alive. But, how much damage has been done? Too much? Let's hope not.

9. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Yeah, that's the one. How anyone can still say those who are criticizing the war are treasonous, while letting actual treason pass, is beyond me. But here we are.

This isn't getting a lot of airplay either. I even heard one commenter on the news saying it wasn't important and that no one cared. We do care. We should care. More people don't though.

Too bad it wasn't a bj or gay sex in a bathroom or with teenage interns, then we'd be hearing about it all the time. :rolleyes: