Former Apple employee claims Steve Jobs would have 'lost his mind' over Siri

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DanteMann, May 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanteMann macrumors 6502

Siri's a joke and a desperate attempt of a high tech feature that screams, "look at me, I'm cutting edge!"

Source

2. ahdickter macrumors 6502

Or it's a beta product that has the potential for app integration and can turn into a great feature over time.

Also, realize that Steve Jobs was still alive when the iPhone 4s was announced and knew that Siri was going to be incorporated into iOS 5

3. surma884 macrumors regular

4. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Personally I can't wait for Siri on the mac.

those annoying popup boxes you get in the middle of your work (calandar events, etc)? replace them with the system voice speaking to you and acknowledge them with your voice. keep on working....

need to do a calculation very quickly whilst writing an email / document? "siri, what is xxx + xxx * yyy / zzz?", etc.

5. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

I loved siri at first. Now I just use her to set me alarm in the morning :rolleyes:

6. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Apple would not have released a beta product to the general public in the past. Their excuse for not implementing things like MMS and Copy/Paste was that they wanted to get it perfect. Siri is one thing that they really should've applied that philosophy to.

7. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Siri had to launch as a beta to begin building a knowledge base.

Personally, I love my Siri and want it on all my Apple devices.

8. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

Siri is just a Google-y kind of feature that only impresses people who have a brain similar to that of a hamster's.

Nobody needs it.

9. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

Google'y feature that impresses hamster sized brain people? I don't get the joke, someone explain.

10. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

A few points that I'm too lazy to make into paragraphs:

1. Jobs died the day after Siri and the 4S were unveiled. I'm pretty sure he knew what was going on.

2. Siri isn't actually bad, it just isn't as great as Apple make it out to be. It should not be a key selling point IMO.

3. It's unusual for Apple to launch a beta product, that is why people are not used to it having problems like it does.

11. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

+1

Seems obvious to me that with the delay of the 4S and it's relative weak upgrades (considering the rest of the market was breathing down Apple's neck with some very nice 4+" phones and much more frequent upgrade cycles), they were feeling the pressure to 'WOW' people with something. Joe Average doesn't care about CPU/GPU/memory or anything else under the hood). Siri was all they had, after 16 months, that was exciting. It seemed magical, had a sexy female voice for all the men (and was at least non-threatening to women) and even though it was (and is) beta, they dropped it in, and of course, it sold a helluva lot of phones.

To me, it smacked of desperation more than anything else.

12. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Two words for you: iWork beta.

13. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Siri works well for me the majority of the time, but there are times it is very bad. I think the benefit of releasing a beta product of this nature will be seen eventually. There are millions of people using siri. Apple can take all that data and learn a lot from it to implement future enhancements.

14. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

...and since I already since people already have computers and televisions, there is no NEED for a smartphone either.

I don't think a hammer is all that impressive, but I can still recognize it as a useful tool....as is Siri.

Far too often I'm doing things where I either can't look at or touch the screen. Siri is extremely helpful in those instances. Not to mention, for certain tasks, it's much easier to simply tell it something than go through the hassle or doing it manually.

15. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Yes.

Discussion continues here: "Siri's Embarrasing"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.