Former Bush aide Andrew Card booed at commencement

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, May 26, 2007.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Boston Herald

Can't say I feel too sorry for Card, even though he was a bit player in the whole Bush administration farce. Shows you how upset people are. It's just too bad it couldn't have been Cheney or Rove up there.

Side note: That web site is odd. When's the last time you saw indented paragraphs on the web??

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

3. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Sorry, nothing yet. Although footage has been broadcast on CNN.

Guess this has been an issue for a while. A search of Google Video turns up several clips of pre-commencement protest rallies held at UMass against Card being allowed to speak there.

4. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I can understand the students doing this, but for the faculty to join in shows a level of immaturity is juvenile and reflects poorly on the university.

5. aquajet macrumors 68020

Since when is peacefully protesting against a former official in a highly controversial presidency juvenile and immature?

6. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

When you're doing it during a commencement ceremony. It's inappropriate.

7. aquajet macrumors 68020

If not at a large public event where a bunch of people are making a bunch of noise, then where?

8. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

How so?

They have a right to protest. If the administration sees fit, they have a right to punish them.

9. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

This is true, but I would have figured that they would have known that there is a time and place to voice your opinions, and a commencement ceremony isn't one of them. Do it before, do it after, but don't do it during -- it's disrespectful. This isn't a matter of what is legal and what isn't; this is a matter of using one's good judgement to act appropriately.

10. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I think their protest was entirely appropriate, at any time. What was inappropriate was giving this person an honorary degree. To not protest in some way would have been disrespectful.

I'll agree to some degree that booing isn't as "classy." Perhaps they should have stood up and walked off the stage.

The audience should have booed and catcalled though. Entirely appropriate.

11. aquajet macrumors 68020

Limit your protestations to before or after the party, when Mr. Card likely won't actually see for himself. Is that what you mean by being respectful?

I suppose Mr. Card should be happy that he doesn't have a pie in his face or that a crowd didn't rush the podium. Now that would be inappropriate.

12. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

which dingbat at the University gave the okay to honor such controversial person at a graduate student commencement?

13. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's disrespectful to everyone in that room to award a degree to an idiot who doesn't deserve it. It's the school that's being inappropriate, not the people booing.

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

16. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

17. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

No, it shows you have the stones of your beliefs. Why gloss the truth, that all is well. It is not.