Former Bush Official: IMPEACH!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by OldCorpse, May 10, 2007.

1. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

If you want to get to the radio interview, you have to click on the link, as that link is imbedded in the story.

Says it all: "Larry Wilkerson, an aide to former Secretary of State Colin Powell, said in a radio interview on Thursday that the "high crimes and misdemeanors" of the Bush Administration "pale in comparison" to the crimes that led to the impeachment of President Bill Clinton."

http://www.iraqslogger.com/index.php/post/2723/Former_Bush_Admin_Official_Speaks_Impeachment

"Larry Wilkerson, an aide to former Secretary of State Colin Powell, said in a radio interview on Thursday that the "high crimes and misdemeanors" of the Bush Administration "pale in comparison" to the crimes that led to the impeachment of President Bill Clinton.

Speaking in an interview to NPR's On Point, Wilkerson said: "The language in that article, the language in those two or three lines about impeachment is nice and precise – it's high crimes and misdemeanors. You compare Bill Clinton's peccadilloes for which he was impeached to George Bush's high crimes and misdemeanors or Dick Cheney's high crimes and misdemeanors, and I think they pale in significance."

Wilkerson is a Retired Army Colonel, Chief of Staff under Secretary of State Colin Powell from 2002 to 2005, Vietnam War veteran, former Acting Director of the Marine Corps War College at Quantico, and currently a teacher of national security at William and Mary College.

Wilkerson has previously described Powell's presentation to the United Nations as "the lowest point in my life."
    "

2. Turkish macrumors 6502

I'm glad he gave specific examples of the "high crimes."

3. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Maybe the format - a radio interview - didn't lend itself to a detailed legal case? And if he's lying, it's easy enough to sue him for slander. I wonder if they'll sue him. Something tells me, "no"... after all, if one is telling the truth, no matter how unpleasant, that's defense enough against charges of slander. Bit by bit, all the rot will come out.

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

There's no byline on the article, but it's horribly written. Look again:

In the first paragraph, they've got him saying that Bush's crimes are much less significant than Clinton's. In the second paragraph, he's quoted as saying the exact opposite.

Since the second paragraph is a direct quote, I'm sure that's the accurate representation of Mr. Wilkerson's feelings.

5. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I heard the interview this evening on the way home and those high crimes
    he's talking about are taking this country to war on false pretenses, the abuse of power and so on.

What they all glossed over consistantly was how the media and all those responsible to carry out oversight, just layed down and let it all happen.

Here's a link to the interview so you can hear it yourself.

http://www.onpointradio.org/shows/2007/05/20070510_a_main.asp

6. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I wonder how well Colin Powell sleeps at night? Not too good I imagine. I suspect he is a principled man. Yet, he sat before the United Nations, and lied for 90 minutes, about the need to invade Iraq.

Yes, he lied. There is no other way to soften it. He is too smart to have been completely deceived. The intelligence community knew the WH was doctoring the facts. He had access to all of the intelligence. He just lied.

Ever since he made that speech, I have wondered why he did it. He was a combat officer in Vietnam. I was there too. We veterans witnessed the futility, and stupidity of waging a winless war. The loss of our friends is still to bitter too dwell upon. But, the one thing I hoped their sacrifice would bring, is a lasting memorial to the terrible waste of life.

Why did he do it? The only answer I can come up with is, he was lied to. He was used for his credibility and universal trust. The right-wing wanted him to 'close the deal'. They must have convinced him that this was going to be a quick 'in-and-out' deal. As a good soldier, he went along with it.

When the death toll began to mount, they probably then dropped the bombshell on him; "No, we are staying and will be here for years. And you are now part of this too".

He had served his purpose, and when he resigned, no one in the WH really cared. Afterall, he really was not one of them. And they had Condom Rice.

7. toontra macrumors 6502

Excellent observation - and spot on. I too thought Powell's "performance" at the UN was one of the most shameful of the whole pre-war episode, up there with Blair's 40-minutes claim and the dodgy dossier.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Oh, I thought this was that other guy. Or that other one. Or the other one.

Hard to keep track of them all anymore.

http://www.votevets.org/

9. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I was at Powell's home doing some work just before he announced that he was leaving and I can tell you with all certainty that he was livid about the way they used him and what doing so did to tarnish his reputation.

Even so, I still think he should have stood up to them regardless of the outcome.

At least he did predict that if we break it, we own it.

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I believe you, but you cannot just say you were in Powell's home without explaining how that came to be. :p Inquiring minds want to know.

In any case, yes, Powell was being a "good soldier". I saw him on The Daily Show, like, two years after his ill-fated UN presentation, and he told Jon Stewart that he still believes he was doing the right thing by making the case for war. Uh-huh. :rolleyes:

We're not gonna hear him criticize Bush. But this has got to be eating him up inside.

11. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I thought I was the only one confused about that. But yeah, I agree with your statement.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Powell made his bones in the military by helping to cover the asses of higher ups regarding the massacre at Me Lai. If he's been able to sleep since then, I have no doubt he sleeps as well at night these days as our Commander Guy does.

I'm not surprised about Wilkerson's comments though. He's been making noises like this for quite a while now. According to the WH, he's just a disgruntled former employee. Boy, there sure are a lot of those these days, aren't there?

13. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I was working outside installing a utility upgrade.