Former CNN anchor survives gunfight, kills violent intruder

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Jul 1, 2015.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I remember Lynn Russell from the early days of CNN. She was drop-dead gorgeous. I heard on the radio her hubby is a former Green Beret.

Man, that gives a new meaning to "power couple."

http://www.koat.com/news/albuquerque-police-investigate-deadly-motel-shooting/33899308

This story will be a blip in the national news because:

1) A legal handgun was used in self-defense by a legal owner.
    2) Story doesn't involve Caitlyn Jenner or the Kardashians. :p

2. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

if they did not have gun, the shooter might have settled for robbing & raping them as he saw fit.

3. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

don't they know bringing a gun into their homes increases the chances of death? how DARE they bring guns into their home?

4. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Hopefully she had a whistle as backup!

5. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Here is a crappy picture of Lynn Russell from her news anchor days. I used to leer--I mean watch--CNN just for her.

[​IMG]

6. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'm glad the police are investigating.

Because there seems something very suspicious about the whole story. Like why they decided to go to the Motel in the first place, and how the guy ended up coming back to the room.

My guess is it was really a drug deal gone bad. But then I'm a naturally suspicious sort of guy.

7. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Speaking of which, I got that package of uh...skunk...potpourri you wanted to buy.

8. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Try reading the linked story.

9. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Well, when presented with an incontestable and outstanding example of 2nd Amendment-protected self-defense with a firearm, hide behind snark.

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Heh. More pushback against this thread.

I'll try to remember about this incontestable and outstanding example the next time someone steals a homeowner's gun, shoots himself or a relative, or mows down another church.

11. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

You are right. It is always best to believe one side of the story as presented by the media.

I don't even know why the police are bothering to investigate at all. Surely they could just read the article?

12. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Well, it's hard to get the other side of the story because he's dead.

13. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Our own government had no problem arming the cartels , over 2000 guns with deaths resulting inside the U.S.

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Even more reason for these cases to be scrutinised by the authorities.

Oh no you are doing it again. Remember your rhetoric! It's that guns don't kill people, people kill people. If they didn't have guns they'd just use something else! The guns aren't important I the equation.

Or are you now arguing that they are and that restricting them results in fewer deaths?

15. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

16. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

17. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

18. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'm sorry, but the story sounds unlikely the way it was described.

I can see someone getting robbed in a parking lot. But holding a gun on someone and marching them up a couple of flights of stairs and down a hotel corridor? Most armed robbers want to grab some cash and valuables and go.

I'm sure I would like to believe the police are going to look at any video surveillance of the parking lot. And go over the crime scene very carefully. And check out the story as to why they were in town, why they chose to stay at a Motel 6. And check phone records of everyone involved.

But even if the story played out exactly as this woman describes it, does anyone really think these two people came out ahead because of their gun? The woman's companion is in hospital with apparently several gunshot wounds. How much is the medical cost of treating all that? He may be permanently disabled, and will certainly carry scars for the rest of his life. Versus what if they'd just handed over their cash - lost maybe a few hundred dollars.

I'd rather lose a wallet full of cash than find myself shot full of holes and in a hospital any day of the week. And if you think differently, then you are a fool.

19. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

What link did you read that talks about them walking down corridors & halways & flights of stairs?

20. vrDrew macrumors 65816

[​IMG]

Something about that photo tells me these people weren't just "trying to get some rest" in an Albuquerque motel room.

Call it the sort of intuition you get from thirty years of dealing with people.

21. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

So you are making things up?

22. vrDrew macrumors 65816

No.

But two people ended up getting shot. One of them fatally. It is the sort of occurrence that demands a very close examination. And, as I've said, there are certain aspects of the story that seem - at the very least - unusual.

And one of the questions that needs to be asked is this: How and why did this guy end up in this couple's Albuquerque motel room? Off the top of my head, I can think of half a dozen that don't include a random armed robber stalking the corridor of a Motel 6 just waiting for opportunity to strike.

As I've said: it certainly is possible that this went down exactly as this woman described it. But I think you ought to also consider the possibility that there was more to the story than you are assuming.

23. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Please provide a link to your claims

24. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Link to these claims please