Former CNN anchor survives gunfight, kills violent intruder

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Link to these claims please
Links? I'm just asking some questions based on the news story cited in the original post.

And, to my way of thinking, it seems unusual that somebody would walk out of the shower, discover his wife being held at gunpoint, and then proceed to retrieve his firearm (where was his gun? In a bag? Lying on the counter? In a holster? And the armed robber didn't notice this going down?) , and exchange numerous gunshots in the way it appears to have been described.

To my way of thinking there are a whole bunch of other explanations as to why this person might have ended up in the motel room. Was it some sort of Craigslist sex hookup? Was it a drug deal turned sour?

None of that means that there was not some legitimate self-defense reason for shooting the guy.

But from a purely practical matter, the random armed robbery angle seems unlikely.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Well the self protection argument only goes so far if she's been shot 3 times too

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
I can understand why many in this forum wish to stamp out the premise of this thread. Because they are acutely aware of how you can nudge a population along with one info tidbit at a time. And they are expert at controlling the narrative or turning it inside out, and if all else fails, devolve it into rank-out statements.

Reactions: jkcerda

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
Why bring the NRA into this?

Anyway, this is a dumb example. Any cop will tell you, in a situation like this, it's best to give them what they want. It's certainly hard to argue that it was worth risking peoples lives over a handful of shiny rocks.

Well, at least no one got hurt. Oh, wait....

VulchR

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
One person dead. Another shot 3 times. Hardly a great outcome, even if the story is true.

Seriously, though, I would have thought that somebody in the news business would be able to afford a better place to 'rest'.

webbuzz

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2010

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
1.Why bring the NRA into this?

2.Anyway, this is a dumb example. Any cop will tell you, in a situation like this, it's best to give them what they want.
3. It's certainly hard to argue that it was worth risking peoples lives over a handful of shiny rocks.

4.Well, at least no one got hurt. Oh, wait....
1.your post is the only one I read where the NRA was mentioned.

2. pretty woman & lonely hotel, maybe the guy wanted something she was not willing to give up, you of course are free to submit/puke/piss yourself if that is what you want to do.

3 you know for a fact what the guy wanted?

4. the guy got hurt, the couple could have settled for the guy raping her , it's motel 6, how many people take "shiny" rocks to Motel 6.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget

Something about that photo tells me these people weren't just "trying to get some rest" in an Albuquerque motel room.

Call it the sort of intuition you get from thirty years of dealing with people.
what kind of "people" do you "deal" with?
The couple were staying at a Motel 6 in Northwest Albuquerque on Tuesday while on a cross-country trip to California. Shots were fired, and a man ended up dead in the motel parking lot.

Police haven’t provided details of their investigation into the shooting.

But Lynne Russell, the former CNN anchor, said she and her husband, Chuck de Caro, were held at gunpoint by a man who tried to rob them before bullets started flying.

Russell, who graduated from Manzano High School, said they stopped at the Motel 6 near Coors and Iliff because they were too tired to continue traveling that night. When she went to get something from her car, a man pointed a gun at her and forced her back into the couple’s room. De Caro was in the shower, and when he came out he saw the offender had forced her against the bed, she said
from this link

http://www.abqjournal.com/606613/news/two-shot-at-apparent-altercation-at-motel.html

guy pushes her inside & has her in bed....... do you guys still think she should have given it up?

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
1.your post is the only one I read where the NRA was mentioned.

2. pretty woman & lonely hotel, maybe the guy wanted something she was not willing to give up, you of course are free to submit/puke/piss yourself if that is what you want to do.

3 you know for a fact what the guy wanted?

4. the guy got hurt, the couple could have settled for the guy raping her , it's motel 6, how many people take "shiny" rocks to Motel 6.
  1. Whoosh!
  2. The OP's story mentioned only the robber wanting her valuables. Unless she has her vagina insured by Allstate, I'm not going to assume otherwise.
  3. I'm going by the story, not iffy ideas.
  4. If it's the only joint in town with a room...

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
  1. Whoosh!
  2. The OP's story mentioned only the robber wanting her valuables. Unless she has her vagina insured by Allstate, I'm not going to assume otherwise.
  3. I'm going by the story, not iffy ideas.
  4. If it's the only joint in town with a room...
1 :D
2. the girl is pretty good looking, at the very least she has a purdy mouth (banjo starts playing)
3. other links are there for you to complete the story.
4. no clue, the couple was on a x-country trip.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
That's not a question to ask to anyone.

Either way, that's why I said arguably.
why not? look at the statement made.

anyways if you wish to ONLY use the Original story, which obviously has not been read by many of you.

"He came over, grabbed the briefcase, and I thought for a moment he was just going to leave because he had something," Russell said. "Then he turned around and he opened fire. My husband returned fire. And he's a better shot."
the guy got what he wanted & STILL turned around to fire.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
why not? look at the statement made.

anyways if you wish to ONLY use the Original story, which obviously has not been read by many of you.

the guy got what he wanted & STILL turned around to fire.

You just don't. It's ethically wrong to ask anyone: Have you been raped before?

It's still under investigation. We do not know the true story. Who knows who shot first? A dead man cannot talk.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
"A better description of what happened is in order. Why would Russell offer to give the attacker medication? Why would the attacker allow de Caro to be hanging on to a purse - the home of credit cards and cash and hold out for a briefcase? How does a person slip a gun into a purse while being held at gun point? At what point does a person shot in the head run out of a motel room. Four shots fired and no on hears anything? I'm with MH - a kidnapped woman is out there somewhere potentially. This story has some jarring breaks in continuity."

This is a direct quote from one of the comments attached to the original article. Must say I agree with some of the questions being asked here.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
"A better description of what happened is in order. Why would Russell offer to give the attacker medication? Why would the attacker allow de Caro to be hanging on to a purse - the home of credit cards and cash and hold out for a briefcase? How does a person slip a gun into a purse while being held at gun point? At what point does a person shot in the head run out of a motel room. Four shots fired and no on hears anything? I'm with MH - a kidnapped woman is out there somewhere potentially. This story has some jarring breaks in continuity."

This is a direct quote from one of the comments attached to the original article. Must say I agree with some of the questions being asked here.
you are going by COMMENTS made that are NOT AT ALL mentioned in the article