Former CNN anchor survives gunfight, kills violent intruder

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
The comments made direct relate to the article.
would you be kind enough to point out WHERE in the article is this mentioned?
Why would the attacker allow de Caro to be hanging on to a purse - the home of credit cards and cash and hold out for a briefcase? How does a person slip a gun into a purse while being held at gun point? At what point does a person shot in the head run out of a motel room. Four shots fired and no on hears anything?

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
http://www.abqjournal.com/606613/news/two-shot-at-apparent-altercation-at-motel.html

I would underline all the relevant bits but I am sure you can find them for yourself.
got it, that is from the second link, not the original one. my apologies as I confused the links.

ok, from your post.

http://www.abqjournal.com/606613/news/two-shot-at-apparent-altercation-at-motel.html

I would underline all the relevant bits but I am sure you can find them for yourself.
got it, that is from the second link, not the original one.
"A better description of what happened is in order.
1. Why would Russell offer to give the attacker medication?
2. Why would the attacker allow de Caro to be hanging on to a purse - the home of credit cards and cash and hold out for a briefcase?
3.How does a person slip a gun into a purse while being held at gun point?
4.At what point does a person shot in the head run out of a motel room. Four shots fired and no on hears anything? I'm with MH - a kidnapped woman is out there somewhere potentially. This story has some jarring breaks in continuity."

This is a direct quote from one of the comments attached to the original article. Must say I agree with some of the questions being asked here.
1. why not? guy seemed to be off his rocker, distractions give time for the cops or other help to arrive.
2. they were "negotiating" with the guy. the guy might have been high .
3. the criminal was dealing with 2 people.
4. it's HOT, motel room air conditioners are noisy.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
It certainly is possible that this was an instance where a firearm was used legally in self-defense. Although with at least one of the alleged victims in hospital with multiple gunshot wounds, I would question how "successful" it really was. And who knows what the outcome would have been if the husband had not pulled out a firearm.

Stories like this, and their promotion in social media, always strikes me as examples of pro-gun people engaging in what is scientifically termed Confirmation Bias: The tendency to seek out examples or instances that tend to support whatever preconceived notions one may already have.

When it comes to firearms, one needs to remember that every day, millions of Americans make a decision as to whether to make a firearm part of their day-to-day existence or not. Repeated millions of times, obviously there are going to be examples where that decision turned out well - as well as badly. The question then comes down to the frequency with which the two results occur. Just last week, former MLB player Darryl Hamilton was shot and killed (with his own gun) by his live-in a girlfriend. A woman whose felonious past included setting fire to her then-husband and house. I notice that there was no mention of that tragedy by the pro-gun folks here at PRSI.

We are all guilty of Confirmation Bias. Its an easy trap to fall into, especially in spirited debates. The best way of managing this tendency is to ask yourself really tough questions, and try to examine each new piece of evidence to see if it in fact disproves your own theories of how the world works. If you make yourself the toughest internal critic of the position you are espousing - you'll probably come closer to uncovering what the real facts are.

Reactions: Ledgem

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
Now I'm starting to think the story is peculiar.

In one version, the intruder followed Russell to the room. In another, he put a gun to her head and dragged her to the room.

In one version, Russell is backed up against the bed. In another, she's thrown onto the bed.

In one version, de Caro resists giving the intruder the briefcase, causing the intruder to fire. In another, the intruder somehow has it, turns around to leave, then turns back for no reason and fires.

Not saying there's something truly fishy about the incident, but these guys need to get their stories straight.

I agree. The husband should have given the intruder a point blank shot to the wife's head.

Binary answers are so adorable, especially when they are useless.
I was relaying advice that pretty much any cop would give you. You have a complaint, talk to them instead of being melodramatic.

Reactions: Grey Beard

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Does not make much of a difference. Threaten someone's life and you can expect to get shot , the victims don't have to wait until the criminal fires
It does make a difference. You were speculating, after you repeatedly require others to support their speculation.

Here, I can do it to: the dead guy was doing a business deal with the couple when things went south. They all started arguing and things got very heated. The husband of the couple then pulled his gun out and told the now-dead guy to get on the floor. Instead, the now-dead guy pulls his own gun and starts firing in self-defense. Between the two people firing, the husband manages to get the final shot and take the other guy down. Once the other guy is dead, the couple comes up with a story to make the other guy appear to be the instigator.

I have no more basis of fact in this story, than you do in yours, other than from the words of the couple who survived the shootout. They could be lying through their teeth for all anyone knows. So yeah, it makes a difference.

Albuquerque cops are satisfied that event occurred as reported.

One dead thug.
Two living honest citizens.
All is well.
Am I the only one who never thinks to myself "Well, this turned out well" when someone is dead? I always shutter when people celebrate the killing of someone else.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
I usually shutter when a big wind is a-comin and I always celebrate when good people best adversity, either through their own industry or someone else's.
There is nothing definitive yet that points out who the bad guy is.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Yes, they coaxed a complete stranger into their room w/o knowing he had a gun:rolleyes:
Yes, because people are never able to coax others into a place. It's literally never happened before. Let's admit that most likely the now-dead guy was the aggressor. But you're using total hearsay, which you have no issue calling other people out on, to promote what you believe happened. It's not a fact that he shot first, it's alleged.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Yes, because people are never able to coax others into a place. It's literally never happened before. Let's admit that most likely the now-dead guy was the aggressor. But you're using total hearsay, which you have no issue calling other people out on, to promote what you believe happened. It's not a fact that he shot first, it's alleged.
Does. NOT matter if he shot first, it would NOT matter if he shot at all. He had a GUN in THEIR room & was obviously not welcomed there.

edit. Corrected

Last edited:

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
Yes, they coaxed a complete stranger into their room w/o knowing he had a gun:rolleyes:
After a long history of crime and 6 months crime free or at least not caught? Not bad, I guess he was due.
Interestingly going by the main article that webbuzz omitted to link to the fiancé says he was out selling drugs that night. So perhaps there are other explanations to how the parties came into contact as preciously alluded to. Thankfully it is getting looked into in detail yes all gun crimes and deaths should be irrespective of the parties involved.

His fiance, who wanted to remain anonymous, told KOB Friday that Walton was in town visiting her and ran out of money. She said he needed enough to get back to Tennessee, got caught up with drug dealers and was selling drugs the night of the shooting.
The good news is that in the US people have the presumption of innocense. Irrespective of their past crimes or accounts told by specific parties or narratives run by the media to sell advertising. Even those of you who are quick to condemn a fellow man on words fed to you by the media will be afforded the same level should you be in trouble one day. Irrespective of how quick you are to undermine it for your own agendas.

Reactions: Grey Beard

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
The weed of crime bears bitter fruit.
While this is often true I think it is a bit inflammatory and hyperbolic to tar all people that work in the commercial media as criminals. They too should be allowed the presumption innocence. They didn't work for Murdoch anyway did they?

Last edited: