Former CNN anchor survives gunfight, kills violent intruder

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Jul 1, 2015.

1. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

[​IMG]

"They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but they never kept but one; they promised to take our land, and they took it." -- Chief Red Cloud

2. vrDrew macrumors 65816

So he decided to supplement his drug-selling income by a little
    armed-robbery?

This guy was out peddling weed/meth/crack/pills/whatever...

And decides to troll the somewhat seedy area near the intersection of the East-West interstate and a major north/south boulevard. Lots of motels, chain restaurants, etc. And he comes across this woman retrieving something from her car in the parking lot of a Motel 6.

If his main objective was armed robbery, wouldn't he just stick her up right then and there? Why go back to her motel room?

I think there exists at least the possibility that the reason this guy went to that Motel room was to sell them drugs.

3. samiwas macrumors 68000

Unless they made up the whole story. I'm not sure you're following what I'm saying. Just doing your usual schtick of throwing out buzz-phrases.

Of course I find the "he had a GUN in THEIR room" funny from a guy who was quite adamant about people ignoring Uber's no-gun policy and just carrying anyway.

4. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

My speculation:

1) Since she just ran out to the car to retrieve something, her purse was back in the hotel room.
    2) He thought she was a hot woman traveling alone and decided to amuse himself with her.
    3) Since he's a career criminal with a long rap sheet, he's stupid, vicious, antisocial, and impulsive.

5. vrDrew, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2015

vrDrew macrumors 65816

All definitely plausible. (Although I'd question the sexual desirability of an almost 70 yr old white woman to a 30ish African-American man with a girlfriend waiting for him someplace else.)

The elephant in the room in this story is this: The unpleasant fact is that a significant number of "Castle Doctrine" and other homicides ruled to be legal self-defense are those that involve one party to a criminal transaction killing another.

Was this one of those instances? We may very well never know. It certainly is possible that this woman just ran out to her car to get a hair dryer or a cellphone charger, and was waylaid by an opportunistic drug peddler/armed robber. Its also possible that she went out to score a little weed to help her and her adorable hubby chill out after a long day on the road, ran into this guy in the parking lot, came back to the room - where the deal went bad and shooting ensued.

The Albuquerque police have pretty much zero incentive, or public mandate, to really go into the fine details of this case. The dead guy had a lengthy rap sheet. IMHO he should have been behind bars months ago.

One party to a criminal transaction killing another: That unfortunate fact - usually omitted from discussions of self-defense use of firearms - fundamentally changes the debate on the topic.

6. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

He had two good reasons, although neither of them are 70-years-old...

cnn.jpg

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Well, if you read the post the other guy made. The man did not have enough money to get back to Tennessee .

He might have tried selling them drugs, then robbing them

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Yes. They made up the whole cross country trip so the ly could go kill a guy
    I have not worked uber since the policy change

9. samiwas macrumors 68000

...........wwoooowwww........

10. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I believe JK was being sarcastic.

Of course, it does bring up the question: If we believe it implausible that Lynn Russell and her husband travelled across the country with a plan to kill a drug dealer in a motel room; why do we assume it any more likely that the drug dealer travelled all the way from Tennessee with the intention of robbing/raping/murdering a random victim in Albuquerque?

But an argument over the terms of a drug deal? That seems much more plausible to me. And, as I remarked earlier, I think that fundamentally changes the terms of the debate over whether or not most civilians need to be carrying guns with them everywhere.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Well, it's obvious the drug dealers are carrying . These people were licensed.

12. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I guess different people are going to have their own takeaway from this sort of incident.

Mine is: Don't buy illegal drugs in a motel parking lot from people you don't know.

Yours is: Carry guns with you at all times. Because if you break Drew's Rule, you'll only end up in a hospital room with non life-threatening injuries if the deal goes sour.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

actually mine is

Do as YOU see fit depending on your situation. I rarely drink, don't smoke or do drugs .

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Btw you are still assuming the couple was buying drugs

15. vrDrew macrumors 65816

And you are assuming this guy targeted and attacked these people totally at random. And that once inside the motel room, unsatisfied with being offered money, drugs, and pretty much everything else they had to offer, he opened fire unprovoked.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Does. Not matter WHY he opened fire , dead guy is a criminal with a record.

17. vrDrew macrumors 65816

So anybody with a criminal record can be justifiably shot dead by a concealed-carry permit holder - no matter what the circumstances?

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Not what I said.

Every death should be investigated.

19. vrDrew macrumors 65816

But in this case, I don't think the police necessarily pushed their investigation very far.

Why should they? Even if the Russell and her husband were buying drugs from this guy (for which there was apparently little physical evidence lying around) that doesn't preclude a legitimate defensive shooting. And given the fact that the guy was armed with an illegal firearm, and was a a parole violator; the cops would have to put in an awful lot of work to maybe get a manslaughter indictment. With pretty much zero chance of a conviction.

But I don't think anyone can conclude from this absence of in-depth investigation and prosecution that necessarily this was a case of a completely innocent couple randomly attacked. There are too many inconsistencies and odd statements for that to seem very likely.

People lie when making police statements all the time. Even people who are legitimate crime victims may stretch the truth as to why they were in a neighborhood, or what may have actually transpired between victim and criminal. Often times the police know very well they are being lied to, but see little point in investigating further.

20. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

Looks like the police "pushed their investigation" a little bit.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

How DARE they, don't they know this just makes the guy look like the criminal he was?

22. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

23. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

How do you know he was a criminal? Maybe he was just one of those harmless and oppressed pot dealers that just want to help kids with cancer?

24. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

That isn't and wasn't the contention of the thread. It is one thing to investigate every gun death fully, with the presumption of innocence granted to everyone. It is another thing altogether to proclaim an individual a criminal and swallow one side of the story and come to a conclusion based on media reports alone. You repeatedly fall in the latter camp, especially when a gun is involved. Thankfully the legal system is* more objective and evidence-based rather than knee-jerk reactionary.