Former display models

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Samtb, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Samtb macrumors 65816

Do former display models have cosmetic damage? Do Apple sell them?

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

uhhhhhh.....theres no way for us to know. some may have scuffs from repeated handling all the time, others might not. go to an apple store and look. and i doubt them sell them. someone posted a thread awhile back asking how to get one out of its demo mode, if there is one. but i highly doubt there are many, if at all, in the wild and for sale. most companies dont sell their test/demo units. not to mention, i wouldnt want one that thousands of people had their grimy hands on and carelessly dropped while looking at.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You might keep an open eye around eBay. I bought an iPod shuffle dock for my wife a while ago. Genuine Apple dock, never used. The vendor I bought it from has a small business where Apple sells him the products from their store shelves that never sold.

He takes them and puts them up on eBay as genuine Apple products (which they are). They just never were purchased, and Apple needed the shelf space. Otherwise they would be stuck with unsold stock.

No idea if there is anyone selling excess iPhone stock on eBay, but you never know.

4. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Yes and No

5. 617aircav Suspended

Good answer.

6. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

About as good as the question.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It's a reasonable question. You can save a lot with a display model. We bought a $500 SONY TV once for $150 at Walmart because it was the display model and the last one. It was on sale at the time for $300.

We bought a $100 rocking chair for $20 at the same Walmart because it was the demo model. They can't sell the demo models at full price because they've been handled.

Now only if Lowe's hadn't been so unreasonable about giving me a discount on that display model lamp I bought at their grand opening…:D

8. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

I was referring to the awesome grammar.

9. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

No proof the back this up. But the most logical answer is that the phones are sold as refurbished after going through the same process returned iPhones go through.