Former First Lady Nancy Reagan Dead At Age 94

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ucfgrad93, Mar 6, 2016.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, I saw this story around an hour ago, it had just broken in the British media.

Looking at the photographs brought the 80s very much to mind.

3. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Another link with the past gone.

Nancy really made Ronald Reagan. I think he was very fortunate to have a happy and loving marriage. Nancy brought a touch of style and class to the White House, which had gotten a little dowdy following the Nixon, Ford, and Carter years. Nancy also helped make Reagan appear much more likable in his public persona.

And I think we all owe Nancy a debt for becoming a guardian and voice of her husband as he spent his last years in the fog of Alzheimers. It took courage and principle to break with then-President Bush on the issue of stem-cell research.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Growing up in the 80s I remember her as a very out front first lady. Seems we haven't really had one since.

5. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Nice statement from the President and First Lady:

"Nancy Reagan once wrote that nothing could prepare you for living in the White House," the Obamas wrote in a joint statement on Sunday after news of Reagan's death in California.

"She was right, of course. But we had a head start, because we were fortunate to benefit from her proud example, and her warm and generous advice.

"Our former first lady redefined the role in her time here. Later, in her long goodbye with President Reagan, she became a voice on behalf of millions of families going through the depleting, aching reality of Alzheimer’s, and took on a new role, as advocate, on behalf of treatments that hold the potential and the promise to improve and save lives.

"We offer our sincere condolences to their children, Patti, Ron, and Michael, and to their grandchildren. And we remain grateful for Nancy Reagan's life, thankful for her guidance, and prayerful that she and her beloved husband are together again."​

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Classy lady. RIP.

Republican primaries probably killed her.

7. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

:D:):D made me chuckle a little...

RIP, and like others have said very classy.

8. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

She was a very classy lady that made both sides angry, that's how you always know they're sane. RIP Nancy, she lived a nice full life and was an inspiration to many.

9. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

10. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt, but Obama is now skipping Nancy Reagan's funeral as well. First Justice Scalia now Nancy. What a slime-ball.

11. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Oh wait. The President is gong to a music festival in Texas rather than showing his respect for Nancy Reagan.

That explains it....

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

More faux outrage.

Reagan did not attend Bess Truman's funeral.
    Bush did not attend Lady Bird Johnson's funeral.
    Obama did not attend Betty Ford's funeral.

Clinton attended Jacqueline Kennedy's funeral.

13. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Yep. President's don't attend funeral's of first ladies. The tradition is that the current First Lady attends, which Michelle is.

14. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

JFK attended Eleanor's funeral. There is no such thing as "tradition" here. Sorry.

If he had some pressing matter of state business, ok. He's speaking at a music festival for crying out loud.

It's ok though. The apologists will never care anyway. He can still do no wrong and I know many here would vote for hm again if they could.

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

A bit of welcome perspective. Thank you.

Honestly, some of those on the Right would try to pick a fight with a chair in an empty room. I'm astonished that the news of Nancy Reagan's death would be seized upon as offering an occasion for yet another attempt to attack President Obama.

Re Eleanor, I suspect this recognition was because she was possibly the only First Lady in the first half of the 20th century who had an influential public profile - one that existed independently of her husband.

16. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

And to other people if he cured cancer, got rid of AID's, solved world hunger, etc they would still find a way to hate him for that because the state of politics is so partisan today.

For the record, voted for Obama in 2008( first time voting), didn't vote for him in 2012 because he turned out to be like any politician, and I don't intend to vote for any of the shills running today( Democrat or Republican). I plan on voting, just not for anyone on the field today.

17. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

It is imperative to note that not a single person in this thread, regardless of where their political affiliations lie, had ever brought politics into the thread until you posted.

Too bad you can't keep them out of it, even at such a solemn moment as this First Lady's passing.

You should really take stock of yourself, and hope to the $DEITIES that your spouse could love and care for you and the marriage you have with them as much as this lady has for her husband. That has absolutely nothing to do with politics, as she was there for it through the most trying times of his life (by comparison, everything that happened to him in Hollywood was nothing compared to him as POTUS). As a child living through the 80s, even I was able to see that.

If anything, we all should strive for that type of love and enduring endearment in our personal lives. Perhaps instead of making this yet another political shill of a thread, you should take the time to appreciate the partnership and family you have, and celebrate that with yours and your own while celebrating the life this lady lived.

BL.

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oy... She was a classy lady, and obviously deeply in love with her husband. Her work on Alzheimer's research funding was commendable, as was her stance on stem-cell research.

I still can't get over having an astrologer in the White House, nor the image of her sitting on Mr. T's lap though.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Does it hurt to know you are the only one of your kind? You know, the kind that gives a **** what the President's schedule looks like day to day?

20. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

There was a picture of Andre the Giant standing and flexing his muscles with two women sitting on his shoulders. All political affiliations aside, I could see either Andre, or Mr. T doing the same with Nancy and Barbara Bush.

BL.

21. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Well, while she was First Lady, Hillary Clinton talked to Eleanor Roosevelt. Roslyn Carter was photographed having a chuckle with John Wayne Gacy.

Who doesn't like Mr. T.?

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Rocky Balboa. :p

BL.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So that makes the astrologer thing ok? Is that your point? Or is this another "well your candidate is worse in some way, so THERE neener neener" post? Unclear.

24. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Lol. If Obama was going you'd still bitch and moan. Get over it. Isn't there something useful to whine about?

History of recent First Ladies' funerals:

President Reagan did not attend Bess Truman's funeral in 1982. Nobody cared.

President Clinton did not attend Pat Nixon's funeral in 1993. Nobody cared.

President Clinton did attend Jackie Onassis' funeral in 1994. Nobody cared.

President George W. Bush did not attend Lady Bird Johnson's funeral in 2007. Nobody cared.

President Obama did not attend Betty Ford's funeral in 2011. Nobody cared.

President Obama doesn't attend Nancy Reagan's funeral in 2016. Republicans all of a sudden pretend to care.