Former Governor Bill Weld running for President

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Is this a joke?

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

3. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

The only Republican who would stand a chance is Romney but he cowered out.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

ha, romney is almost as bad as weld.

5. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

With all due respect, who exactly is the joke when it comes to a GOP Presidential Candidate? There is certainly some irony here...

6. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Weld? He helped make the Libertarian ticket even worse in 2016.

7. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Anyone opposed that someone in Republican party is running against Chaos45?

Yes (opposed) / No (its good) answer.

8. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I kinda like Weld. He just want good enough to offset Gary Johnson.

9. pshufd macrumors 6502a

They were both Governors of Massachusetts. And both had to work with an overwhelmingly Democratic Congress. So both got rolled regularly.

I would see both of these guys getting clobbered by Trump in a debate. He simply does not fight fairly and, as with the last primary, he would just steamroll these guys. Using a statesmen approach by these two guys would just not work.

10. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

11. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

There might still turn up a Republican challenger who could take Trump down a peg if not dislodge him as the nominee. I can see some Dems making sure to keep video of such debates... in particular any moderates running in the diverse set of Dems in the 2020 primaries.

Of course I have not made up my mind which Dem I might support in our primary contests but I have to say even now that I'd really like to see Klobuchar take on Trump in a debate in the fall. The GOP leadership should be praying even now that someone with her toolkit doesn't get that Dem nomination. And there are a number of aspirants for the job that are equally well prepared, regardless of their policy views.

Trump has a track record now. That makes for a whole other debate scenario from last time out. Back then Trump lost some points here or there on focus or style etc., but he ended up dismissing them all in his best TV-host manner as his campaign proceeded. "Moving right along now..." lol but now his administration's record continues to develop even while he campaigns.

Anyway it will be interesting to see if a serious GOP primary season rolls out...

12. pshufd macrumors 6502a

I've not heard of Klobuchar. I've never seen her name before on polls.

She seems pretty careful about not making mistakes.

He does have a record on the economy and it's pretty good. I think that he knows the economic things that have to happen for someone to get re-elected. Gasoline prices are one of those things.

13. LordVic macrumors 603

Everyone is "Just as bad" whenever you post about any of the upcoming candidates. we know you've said you'd support Pelosi (I think?).

who from the republican side could run against Trump who would have policy you agree with? Cause the more you post, the more I believe you just hate everyone anyways
    (although you seem to have zero problems attacking Dems for things, but never seem to post a single thread attacking a GoP member or Trump... so i think that betrays your actual opinions more than anything.. party over country right?)

14. pshufd macrumors 6502a

I think that he is right on Weld and Romney. Romney just won't hit back. He didn't do it in 2012 and he wouldn't want to subject his family to a bruising battle. And he's a new Senator and there's a commitment that goes with that. It's a lot easier just to throw jabs from the sidelines.

How hard did Weld run in 2016? Yes, he had that nice YouTube informercial but was he out there all over the country from dawn to dusk campaigning? Weld's the type that likes to kick back with a nice Cerveza.

If you're in the R party and you see what he did in the primary, do you want to subject yourself and your family to that?

HRC is as tough as nails and she often was at a loss of words on how to respond.

15. LordVic macrumors 603

Thanks for the post :)

I'm always curious to know why people have some of the opinions they do. You are willing to state this. Often time JK will do a drive by "they all suck" without ever adding to the conversation why, or what he thinks is wrong. Other than "i hate them so you should too" style memery

16. pshufd macrumors 6502a

This is a fairly new place for me and I'm impressed with how civil and reasoned the overall discussion is here. In general, I like to provide some reasoning unless something is obvious. Most outlets for political media or discussion is about ratings or clicks and they do what they can to turn up the heat.

Most average people want solutions to their problems and those don't get discussed in a framework of fixing problems. Fixing real problems is often really hard to do.

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

the one member I would support over trump happens to be a democrat, and she is running this election cycle, so yeah someone is wrong here and that happens to be you.

18. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

If you have not heard of Klobuchar nor seen her name in polls, then it's interesting that you think she's careful about not making mistakes.

On the economy: Bottom line Trump's re-election is not a shoo-in by any means but he certainly enjoys at least some of the traditional "rosy glow" that the state of the US economy can provide an incumbent President, whether or not his actions are solely reponsible for it.

The Dems may well have their work cut out for them in the fall of 2020, especially since around 40% of the populace is still supportive of Trump despite a controversial presidency and findings of the Mueller investigation that may lead to an impeachment if not removal. Even that's not a bar to re-election since Trump is not likely to be removed by a Senate led by his own party.

But popular polls and polls of a likely to vote electorate can be two wildly disparate things. It remains to be seen how much of a GOP primary season there will be. The results even if failing to dislodge Trump as the Rs' nominee may tell us a lot about Trump's chances in the fall against a moderate Democrat, but not help us much if the Dems pick someone way more progressive. The GOP primary challengers are likely to be either moderates or true conservatives...

19. pshufd macrumors 6502a

I did some reading.

I got the impression that she's pretty careful. Not surprising consider her background and the background of her husband.

20. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

What I have liked about Klobuchar is her range of experience in diverse Senate subcommittees on agriculture, homeland security, technology, even the rules committee. And among candidates who are Senators, I tend to like those whose legislative experience has included matters that have garnered a lot of bipartisan attention.

Governors running for President may or may not have to deal across much resistance from their political opposites in trying to direct policy. Some governors are working in pretty red or pretty blue states.

It always makes me feel I have to do more homework when I'm looking at a governor throwing his hat in the ring for President. A former governor can be very successful and have pretty good name recognition, but it's possible that few in his state's legislature have ever managed to register effective opposition. Then if he lands in the Oval Office he really needs expert congressional liaison aides to keep him from overreaching and falling short of expectations. It becomes a matter of whether he's humble enough to accept that or ends up trying to run the show without enough understanding of the legislative branch at the federal level.

In focusing on governors' potential issues, I'm not saying Weld or Hogan (the latter has not announced, so far) could not give Trump a run for his money in a GOP primary even though neither is likely to bump the President. I'd love to see Larry Hogan give it a shot.

Weld, I don't know too much about... except that I was not especially impressed by the Johnson-Weld effort in 2016. Still, as a front man rather than as he may have been seen in 2016, i.e., "just a sidekick" to a Libertarian, Weld's campaign could be quite different in 2020.

A point Five Thirty Eight made is that presidents who get a serious primary challenge tend to lose the general election even while retaining their party's support for the nomination. There is something about having a president's track record questioned by partisans in his own party during a primary that may open ears of that party's voters when comes time to hear criticism of him by the opposition party's candidates in the fall.

Hogan in particular has high approval ratings in a largely blue state, which is interesting. The supporters of Trump high in the RNC are probably hoping Hogan decides against running. Who knows what they may think of Weld's decision to run. I agree with Jeb Bush, who earlier in the spring said voters deserve a choice... so I would commend Bill Weld for stepping forward if no one else is going to challenge Trump.

21. pshufd macrumors 6502a

My experience with Weld was that I lived on a bordering state and I spent a lot of time there. I read the Boston Globe and listened to the talk radio shows about him. Same thing with Romney. I grew up in a city not too far from where Romney lived and also played tennis in the town from time to time - it's a really nice place.