Former HHS secretary Tom Price’s wife asks if HIV Patients Could Be 'Legally' Quarantined

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Good grief.

http://amp.timeinc.net/time/4992333/betty-price-tom-price-hiv-quarantine/?source=dam

“What are we legally able to do? I don’t want to say the quarantine word, but I guess I just said it,” State Rep. Betty Price (R -Roswell) asked Tuesday during a study committee meeting on barriers to adequate health care, which was live streamed online.
“It seems to me it’s almost frightening the number of people who are living that are potentially carriers, well they are carriers, with the potential to spread, whereas in the past they died more readily and then at that point they are not posing a risk, Price added

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
I'd like to ask if the stupid can be quarantined. :D
We live in a democratic republic, so it's only fair we handle this situation accordingly. Let's put it to a vote. If it passes in PRSI, we will begin our overthrow of the stupid people in the US Govt. and in the US. Also, we need our own dumpsite (sort of like how Australia came into existence) because stupidity will spread; any suggestions for that or do we worry about that after it passes? Antarctica is off limits though. Penguins > Stupid people.

Reactions: MadeTheSwitch

rafark

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2017
“It seems to me it’s almost frightening the number of people who are living that are potentially carriers, well they are carriers, with the potential to spread, whereas in the past they died more readily and then at that point they are not posing a risk, Price added
What a dick.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
We live in a democratic republic, so it's only fair we handle this situation accordingly. Let's put it to a vote. If it passes in PRSI, we will begin our overthrow of the stupid people in the US Govt. and in the US. Also, we need our own dumpsite (sort of like how Australia came into existence) because stupidity will spread; any suggestions for that or do we worry about that after it passes? Antarctica is off limits though. Penguins > Stupid people.
We can build a manmade island. Or, we can just put them into rockets and blast them off to Mars. :D

Reactions: shyam09

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68020
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
The 1980s called. They wanted their homophobic paranoia back.
My thoughts exactly. I didn’t read the actual quote... but are we still living in the 1980’s? HIV treatment technology has come a long way since then. What is she looking for? Leper communities?

That said, the (Californian?) politician who wants to minimize the punishment for knowingly putting people at risk for contracting HIV also needs a reality check. The risks statistically appear quite minimal on a single interaction, but if contracted can have devestaring, horrific, expensive and, life changing consequences.