Former iPod Classic Owners: How Did You Make The Switch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iSingandiDance, Mar 2, 2012.

1. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

I have a 160GB iPod Classic and it is just what I need. It holds all of my music and then some. But I need a new phone, and have been looking into the iPhone 4S. I don't think I need both the Classic and the iPhone, but I don't know how to let go of the Classic.

For those who have made the switch, what were some determining factors for you? Any of you still lug your classic around with your iPhone?

I can see it being such that I'll just fall in love with a streaming app or iTunes Match so much that I'll forget about the Classic quickly. No one really needs to hoard all of that music anyway, and I guess that's the biggest culprit of this whole scenario. But then there's that issue of having to depend on a connection to get to my tunes.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

It is possible to own more than one digital device at a time.

I own several iPod shuffles, iPod nanos an iPod Classic and an iPad, soon I am planning on buying a 64GB iPod touch. Is it necessary, no, but I like different form factors for different task (like joking, going to the gym or doing chores around the house).

No one says you have to give up your iPod Classic just because yow own an iPhone, keep both.

3. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Things to considers to you listen to ALL that music everyday?
    Do you really need to get rid of one device?
    Can you narrow down your favourite music to the size of an iPhone?
    Does your data plan allow for you to take advantage of streaming your music from itunes match or other service.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

For me, it was the realization that I didn't need to have all of my music with me all the time. Once you can overcome that the change is easy.

5. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

My wife owns two iPods + an iPhone. The more the merrier.. :D

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Then came iOS 5 and iTunes Match to gives that option to hold our entire music library in our pocket once again with the ability to delete and download music as needed.

7. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I think the OP is asking more in terms of carrying both devices when he/she goes out, as opposed to owning both devices. It's easy to own multiple devices, but taking two devices when he can carry one can get cumbersome.

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

QFT

OP, I had the same anxiety you did. "What if I am out and want to hear _____ song and it's not on my device?!!!" In reality, this seldom happened. I learned to have a number of playlists and rotate with syncs. Now with the cloud and match I can have (albeit not lossless) all my music with me.

My Classic now gathers dust.

9. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

at some point I had an iPod Mini, iPod touch and a dumb phone in my pocket. Althought not ideal, it worked.

10. rosemary1 macrumors regular

I keep my most favorite music on my iPhone and have my entire library backed up in Google Music, which I can use to listen to anything not locally stored if I really need to.

11. iSingandiDance thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

Thanks for the insight. Gave me some things to think about.

12. nickrinaldi macrumors regular

I still use my ipod classic, mostly for the car. usually just my entire library on shuffle or if i'm in the mood for an album etc..

my iphone has pretty much 40% out of that library which is pretty much my favorites. haven't really had too much of an issue. between my fav tracks and pandora on the phone.

I also like having the classic in the car for long trips and not having to worry about the charging the phone or using up data etc..

13. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

OP, I sold my iPod Classic last year on Craigslist before the 64 GB iPhone was unveiled. I found myself never using it and instead opting for my iPhone on every occasion (given that I am always with my iPhone).

I personally don't like the idea of owning both an iPhone and iPod Classic. If you insist on having more than 64 GB's of music with you at all times, or if you don't want to tax your iPhone battery in order to listen to music for long periods of time during travel, then yeah, I guess you could keep the Classic. Personally I try to use and carry as few devices as possible/necessary. I also am not sold on iTunes Match because I'm not always in a cellular/wifi area when I want access to my music.

I have roughly 50 GB's of music in my collection so a 64 GB iPhone will be perfect for me in the future (don't plan on upgrading to a 4S unless my 4 breaks, holding out for the next-gen iPhone). Even if I had say an 85 GB music collection I'd select a large portion of that and relegate it to my iPhone. In due time we will see a 96 or 128 GB iPhone but not for at least 2 or 3 years. Maybe longer.

14. Zcott macrumors 68020

iTunes Match is the way forward for the OP. I keep my old classic in the car because I do a lot of driving where there isn't data coverage.

15. jer9542 macrumors member

I use both my classic and my 4S. I've had iPods long before iPhone came out, and have had such a growing music collection that I would not be able to fit it onto an iPhone. As a student, I often listen to my classic, but I have always found that I don't need anything more than a 16gb iPhone. Personally, I prefer to keep my music seperate from my phone. However, I have about 50-60 "emergency" songs on my phone, which come in handy in the even I don't have my iPod. I say use both, just my opinion.

16. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I'm lucky enough to be able to listen to my music all day while I'm at work. While I might not need all my music available, I definitely want it to be at hand on my 160GB classic.

iTunes match isn't even an option because I'd rip through my monthly data allowance in the first morning's listening.

So I still use both. :)