Former Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke praises Trump, runs for Senate

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Jul 22, 2016.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Former Ku KluFormer Ku Klux Klan leader Davix Klan leader David Duke praises Trump, runs for Seante

Your thread title needs work.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

In before a Trumpet posts something about Clinton and the corpse formerly known as Robert Byrd.

5. PracticalMac, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016

PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Sure, it's
    n1c37ry

--- Post Merged, Jul 22, 2016 ---
    I know, but don't know how in this new forum system.

.... (poking around the forum interface some more)
    found it!

6. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Modern politics would have previously said that Trump should immediately reject Duke's praise and hammer the Senate candidate. But, since we're down the rabbit hole, I'd guess that Trump will just ignore Duke and hope that he doesn't get past the primary.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

he rejected it before & has better things to do now.

8. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Okay, so I will before anyone else does:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/apr/26/klan-leader-claims-kkk-has-given-20k-clinton-campa/

Everyone feel better now? :p

But the New Black Panthers* could donate $20k to either or both groups if they wanted to. Would the same people be up in arms for the same reasons? Why or why not?

* not the better, original group whose ideals are different and certainly less violent

9. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Good thing Robert Byrd denounced the KKK 6 years and 24 days ago.

You called it whoever that said he was gonna be brought up. Both are equally disgusting, yet you only want to focus on others.

10. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

1997 was only 6 years ago?

11. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

2010 when the racist went to the worms.

12. APlotdevice, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

1997 is when he told an interviewer that the youth should get involved in politics, but “avoid the Ku Klux Klan. Don’t get that albatross around your neck. Once you’ve made that mistake, you inhibit your operations in the political arena.Unfortunately that quote is behind a paywall, but here is an article from 2005 which quotes him as saying I know now I was wrong. Intolerance had no place in America. I apologized a thousand times . . . and I don't mind apologizing over and over again. I can’t erase what happened.” And according to the NAACP, “Senator Byrd went from being an active member of the KKK to a being a stalwart supporter of the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act and many other pieces of seminal legislation that advanced the civil rights and liberties of our country."

There is NO comparison here. Robert Byrd was a changed man. David Duke is not. I mean ****, just days ago he blamed Jews for the Malania speech debacle!

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Wasting your breath. Byrd is one of the boogeymen they keep in they back pockets. Alinsky, Acorn, Soros too.

14. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Eh, I know I'm unlikely to change the minds of posters like that, but at least I can help inform others who might be reading this thread.

15. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I’m not even going to bother wasting energy rewriting this...

1997 is when he told an interviewer that the youth should get involved in politics, but “avoid the Ku Klux Klan. Don’t get that albatross around your neck. Once you’ve made that mistake, you inhibit your operations in the political arena.Unfortunately that quote is behind a paywall, but here is an article from 2005 which quotes him as saying I know now I was wrong. Intolerance had no place in America. I apologized a thousand times . . . and I don't mind apologizing over and over again. I can’t erase what happened.” And according to the NAACP, “Senator Byrd went from being an active member of the KKK to a being a stalwart supporter of the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act and many other pieces of seminal legislation that advanced the civil rights and liberties of our country."

There is NO comparison here. Robert Byrd was a changed man. David Duke is not. I mean ****, just days ago he blamed Jews for the Malania speech debacle!

16. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Amazing, isn't it?

Even an ex-KKK member (whose august members include Democrat senator Robert Byrd) who's been repudiated by the Republican Party would still rather see Trump than Hillary as president!

Guess it's true that patriotism trumps racism.

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

And as soon as Trump has a tribute to this KKK guy, or kisses him on the cheek you will have a point.

Anyone can endorse anyone, ISIS could endorse Hillary, we aren't going to blame her for it.

18. APlotdevice, Jul 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2016

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Oh ******* BS you wouldn’t. Perhaps not YOU specifically, but conservatives as a whole would have a bloody field day with that!

And regardless, I was not the one trying to connect Duke with Byrd. That was a knee-jerk response from conservative posters to this thread. I merely showed why the comparison is total BS.

As for the endorsement, I do think it should still give people some pause. This is a person who has sat through this entire race and thought, “yeah, that’s the candidate that will restore us white folk to our former glory”.
    I'm just going to keep repeating this every time a conservative brings up Byrd...

19. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Well, I'm happy to state that I'm pretty much a small-c conservative, but my opinion of the David Duke types is that a twelve-gauge enema would be Good Medicine.

"small-c" means that I'm rabidly anti-NeoCon-WarHawk. Which is why I despise Hillary. Don't particularly like Trump, but he's the lesser of two weevils: Still gonna have lousy cornbread.

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Louisiana of course. I predict he'll find a lot of traction there.

21. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

I keep seeing Democrats and Liberals trying to erase the racism that's their heritage:

Democrat United States Senator Robert C. Byrd was a recruiter for the Klan while in his 20s and 30s, rising to the title of Kleagle and Exalted Cyclops of his local chapter. After leaving the group, Byrd spoke in favor of the Klan during his early political career. Though he claimed to have left the organization in 1943, Byrd wrote a letter in 1946 to the group's Imperial Wizard stating "The Klan is needed today as never before, and I am anxious to see its rebirth here in West Virginia." Byrd defended the Klan in his 1958 U.S. Senate campaign when he was 41 years old.[1]​

Byrd started a local chapter of the KKK in the early 1940s. He would have been a mature man in his thirties (i.e., old enough to know wrong from right) by then:

According to Byrd, a Klan official told him, "You have a talent for leadership, Bob ... The country needs young men like you in the leadership of the nation." Byrd later recalled, "Suddenly lights flashed in my mind! Someone important had recognized my abilities! I was only 23 or 24 years old, and the thought of a political career had never really hit me. But strike me that night, it did."[19] Byrd became a recruiter and leader of his chapter.[13] When it came time to elect the top officer (Exalted Cyclops) in the local Klan unit, Byrd won unanimously.[13]

In December 1944, Byrd wrote to segregationist Mississippi Senator Theodore G. Bilbo:

I shall never fight in the armed forces with a negro by my side ... Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds.

— Robert C. Byrd, in a letter to Sen. Theodore Bilbo (D-MS), 1944[13][20]​

Byrd claimed he quit the Klan a year or so after joining:

However, when running for the United States House of Representatives in 1952, he announced "After about a year, I became disinterested, quit paying my dues, and dropped my membership in the organization. During the nine years that have followed, I have never been interested in the Klan." He said he had joined the Klan because he felt it offered excitement and was anti-communist.
    But that nutty old racist forgot that damning letters have a way of turning up when you least expect them:

Byrd won the primary, but during the general election campaign, Byrd's GOP opponent uncovered a letter Byrd had handwritten to Green, the KKK Imperial Wizard, recommending a friend as a Kleagle and urging promotion of the Klan throughout the country. The letter was dated 1946 -- long after the time Byrd claimed he had lost interest in the Klan. "The Klan is needed today as never before, and I am anxious to see its rebirth here in West Virginia," Byrd wrote, according to newspaper accounts of that period. Byrd makes no mention of the letter in his new book.

Stunned Democratic state party officials, including then-Gov. Okey L. Patteson, urged him to drop out of the race. Byrd survived the ensuing political firestorm, won the general election and went on to serve six years in the House before winning his Senate seat in 1958. During his Senate campaign, he told a newspaper reporter that he personally felt the Klan had been incorrectly blamed for many acts committed by others.
    But wait! There's MORE!

So the racist Byrd that you support so vigorously followed up his lies about no longer believing in what the KKK stands for by:

• Being the only Senator to vote against both African American U.S. Supreme Court nominees (liberal Thurgood Marshall and conservative Clarence Thomas)
    • Filibustering the Civil Rights Act of 1964
    You really should be ashamed of trying to whitewash such a hideously evil man.

22. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

If you're to use a Wiki article, make sure to read the ENTIRE article. It includes everything I mentioned.
    For an "Athiest" you sound like an awful lot like a devote Lutheran. Treating humans as either intrinsically good or intrinsically evil, incapable of changing over the course of their lives.

23. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

He voted against two black candidates for Supreme Court justice. One of them in 1990!

So much for him changing. He was a racist his entire life. But he changed his tune quickly when he realized that the Democrats couldn't succeed if they kept up being openly racist. He was smart enough to realize the GOP wouldn't want him, so he avoided David Duke's embarrassing experience when he was repudiated by the Republicans for being a racist.

People don't change what they are. They just get better at hiding it in polite society.

24. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

The NAACP strongly disagrees. Their opinion frankly carries far more weight on these matters than yours.

Yup, you’re a closet Lutheran all right.