Former Marine Guns Down Mother of Three After Crashing at Intersection

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by APlotdevice, Aug 31, 2016.

1. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Full story here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...river-police-say/?wpisrc=nl_most-draw6&wpmm=1

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

3. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

well thats classic good guy tuns bad its a bummer. bad guy kills its a tragedy

4. samiwas macrumors 68000

Are there any sort of psych exams required after someone returns from deployment, or at any time in the future?

5. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Could be worse. Look at how Vietnam vets were treated: Spat on, called names, saw textile jobs move to the country they fought to save from communism that was defeated even though America lost that war, whatever that all means...

6. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

There is something called a PDHA (post deployment health assessment) which is an online survey followed by a one on one assessment that takes place within a month of an active combat military member's return.

Then there is a PDRA (post deployment re-assessment) that takes place 3-6 months after return as a follow up. Again, this includes an online survey and in-person assessment.

A portion of these assessments screen for mental health conditions like depression, acute stress, ptsd, suicidal and homocidal ideation, etc. I believe this protocol comes out of the Gulf War.

While this system exists, I'm not sure how good the government is with following up to make sure people are screened. I can also say 1 month to as little as 3 months isn't necessarily enough time for these problems to manifest. Screening tools are great but only work if the clients are open and honest. Military men typically are conditioned to not talk about feelings as its a sign of weakness. If the military is your livelihood, no one wants to be labeled as mentally ill and loose their job. Access to quality mental health care for vets, let alone anyone, is tough too unless you have a lot of money.

There's also a small and unfortunate possibility this guy was sick before he went into the military.

This is an all around very terrible situation. A lot of soldiers etc come back from war emotionally scarred and never get the help they need. Unfortunately this man has now destroyed his future and the life of an innocent woman, not to mention her family (and his).

7. mildocjr macrumors 65816

Yes, I had to sit through 2 weeks of psych exams each time I got back. The problem is that a psych exam that close after deployment doesn't tell anyone anything. When you get back it's an emotional rollercoaster for the next 6 months because you don't know how to act properly after being on an adrenaline high for the past 6 months to a year depending on which branch of service.

For those who don't quite understand, if you've ever been in a fight, a car wreck, or riding on a dirt bike, you know that you get this rush while your doing it, now imagine this event happens for an entire year, it becomes normal for you. All of a sudden you are taken back into regular society and you feel great because you are still riding that adrenaline high and don't realize it.

The side-effects of a deployment (from my experience) cause you to be angry for no reason whatsoever. You hit the ground when you hear a loud noise, you take control when everyone else is nervous or scared. You feel like you are constantly missing something when you go out in public (your weapon). You think someone crying over a breakup is a stupid thing to cry over. The only thing you can relate to is when someone lost someone in their family and that is the only thing worth crying about. When people aren't putting 100% of their effort into something you become impatient and tell them to hurry the hell up. You talk in the shorthand that you used when you were overseas, clear right, clear left, something forward/back 100 meters.

I'm not defending this man's actions, I think he is a disgrace to his unit, the armed forces, and the country. I am simply stating that having a psych exam right after someone gets out doesn't work.

My proposal to fix the problem:
    It has to be on-going while state-side every 3 months for 2 years, every 6 months for 2 years after that, and once a year after that for 2 years, with 3 months jail time + psych exams as an alternative for missing an exam with no call to reschedule within 2 weeks of the missed date. Hair follicle drug test should also be taken during the psych exam.

After 6 years, there shouldn't be too much of an issue, however it may be a good thing to extend this for testing on the 8th and 10th year followed by once every 5 years until 4 exams have been taken.

This ensures that the soldier isn't crazy, they are receiving care if they are, and they are not taking drugs to affect their rehabilitation into society.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 31, 2016 ---
    It was a technical loss, we lost more people they they did, so we pulled out. The country stabilized later on, but our losses were massive.

8. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Everyone in society should be required to undergo a yearly psych exam. This is especially true for anyone who owns or has access to a gun.

9. sim667 macrumors 65816

10. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Erm,no.....

Every killed GI meant 100 people in the US would turn against the war.

Every Vietcong or civilian killed was replaced by someone else taking up arms.

Thats why it was allready lost long before the US got officially involved.

11. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Awful news. I wonder if the collision was intentional. If so, then the motive might be very sinister indeed.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Tragic. I don't want to play armchair psychologist (not sure if that's even the right term), but I'm wondering if the guy was having a traumatic episode or one was triggered by the collision as he went into shock and his training kicked in?

God this is awful from every angle.

13. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

What does that have to do with this terrible crime?

14. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

It has to do with the OP's topic title; as they say "There are no former Marines: once a Marine, always a Marine".

15. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Yes, if that is what he meant by it, then yes that's correct.

16. samiwas macrumors 68000

Agree. That's why I added "or any time in the future". I think an evaluation as soon as you get back is paramount. But you must be checked out periodically afterwards. People who have been exposed to the battlefield frequently have all sorts of issues. There are a few on this forum who I know have been on the battlefield, and I honestly question their stability.

17. mildocjr macrumors 65816

I was just repeating what I heard from a CSM who served in Vietnam.