Former NC police chief detained at JFK for 90 minutes

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Mar 20, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

https://www.yahoo.com/news/former-nc-police-chief-detained-jfk-90-minutes-172824242.html
    bwahahahahahahahaha, welcome to the world of peons, now spread those legs :mad:

2. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

3. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Let me get this straight: You are taking satisfaction from the fact that a former lifetime police officer suffered the indignity and hassle of being unjustly detained.

Rather than recognizing the absurdity and injustice of a lifetime US law enforcement officer being subject to harassment, purely because of his name and religious affiliation.

Uh, OK.

4. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

there is something you should indeed get straight, I support equality, we should ALL be EQUAL under the LAW. no exceptions because you have or had a uniform on or the color of your skin or you pray to Thor instead of Zeus.

5. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

It's not unjust. It's the policy. Public service alone does not give someone a pass at TSA, or anywhere. By your standards Nidal Hassan should not have been screened either.

Check mate.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 20, 2017 ---
    1000 times yes.

6. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I'm curious. If you appear to be detained, you can ask the relevant law enforcement officer if you are in fact being detained. If they say no, then as a US citizen you have the right to leave, do you not?

Also, it seems odd with various forms of face and fingerprint recognition that there would be any issue about the identify of the man.

7. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I'm not sure. You may be able to leave the airport but perhaps may not head towards the plane. I'd hate to test this and then get a tazer shoved in my ass as I left.

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Agreed - I think the sensible thing is to ask 'So I am not be detained... am I free to go?' rather than getting zapped. I once knew somebody who was committed to a mental hospital for a few weeks because he failed to obey an armed Norfolk VA police officer. That was considered incontrovertible evidence of mental incapacity...

9. Jnesbitt82 macrumors 6502

Jnesbitt82

I'm a white male and I've been detained while entering the country in my Army uniform. I've had to take off my boots and dress top and was padded down in front of everyone. I don't expect special privilege just because I was a soldier. Hell, you guys should see the shakedown they do to soldiers after leaving a war zone. There are no private parts. They have access to any part of your body and belongings.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If we are indeed all equal why was he detained at all. It seems in the governments eyes that he was not equal.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 20, 2017 ---
    Yes that constitution must be abolished. :rolleyes:

11. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

1. because they randomly selected him :D
    2. works for me :D /s

12. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The rules are somewhat different when entering the country. You are, in many respects, subject to pretty much whatever restrictions the Customs and Border control want to place on you. If they ask you to sit in a room for hours on end while they sip coffee and twiddle their thumbs - you don't really have any legal recourse. The "am I free to go?" question doesn't work at the border. You have to wait until the Immigration officer tells you you can. You aren't being detained - you are (legally) waiting for him to grant you permission to enter.

Now, if they do actually put you in a holding cell and keep you long enough, somebody on the outside, a person who was expecting you to arrive on such-and-such a flight - can get a lawyer to file a Habeus Corpus writ, demanding that the immigration people account for your whereabouts, and the circumstances under which you are being held.

There really is not any other legal check on the power of immigration and customs agents.

Now, in normal times, Customs and Border Control are subject to the control of the Executive branch. And they have a clear mandate to balance their operations. Yes: They need to keep contraband and bad people out of the country. But they also cannot make life unreasonably inconvenient and unpleasant for the tens of thousands of people getting off of international flights. If they slowed up immigration processing too much, you'd very soon end up with a humanitarian and public health crisis, as thousands of people were packed into the immigration and customs waiting areas.

As I've said before: These incidents are becoming more frequent because of the messaging coming from the Trump Administration.

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

If it's in the international zone of the airport it's a legal clusterf-ck...

14. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

The constitution distinctly says that it is the job of the government to protect the people of the US And it's borders. They are attempting to do that.

15. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

As long as the Customs and Border Patrol Agents got to go home at night.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

But the person being questioned was an American citizen.

17. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

so was the Forth hood shooter............

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

It doesn't matter. In the international zone they haven't verified your citizenship status yet (officially) and you're not in the country yet (officially).

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

There was a forth shooter?

20. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Yeah, the brother in law of the the planner of the Bowling Green Massacre.

21. Jnesbitt82 macrumors 6502

Jnesbitt82

The CNN article on this says he was detained because his name was used as an alias for someone that is on the watchlist. He also says he was upset because foreign nationals were being processed quicker than him. Sounds to me he was expecting special treatment. It doesn't work that way.

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Was he also the mastermind behind Atlanta.

23. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

So was Nidal Hassan. Just because you are American doesn't mean you aren't a threat. We have all heard the oaths of office that say "...to protect the United States from all threats foreign and domestic". Random screenings occur. RED FLAGS get triggered all the time. The due diligence must be performed.

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Yes and one of those threats is leading the country right now.

25. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Nice deflection.