Former NC police chief detained at JFK for 90 minutes

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Mar 20, 2017.

1. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

If faced by two threats, we should always choose the lesser one...

2. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

that's what you get because the DNC cheated :D

3. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

Used to happen to me a lot, but the felon has the same name as me, same middle initial (different middle name), lived in Atlanta. It took a Travel Redress to clear it up.

4. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Reminds me of the time they wouldn't let Ted Kennedy onto a plane since he was on the no fly list.
    They used to suggest to people with the same name as someone on the no fly list that they change their name to avoid hassle.

Good times.

5. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

Haha! I remember that.

6. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I have a friend whose legal name is Charles Manson. Same age as the other one. Used to live in CA. He was picked up by police often for a while back in the day.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So why didn't we.

8. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

What is the other threat you are referencing.

9. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I think you guys are missing the point.
    He was not opposed to being detained nor the background checks, but while he was "wasn't being detained even though he couldn't use his phone and he had to remain seated", that sounds very much like he was being detained, but did not admit to it. What if he simply said "if I am am not detained, then I will go now?"

The other side is being a long time law enforcement officer it should have been much easier to verify is ID. This prints and photos would be easily found an a number of national DB's, and it would also be easy to verify by any number of methods.

He did not say he was strip searched, did not say he had additional scans or pat down, they just held him for a very long period of time. He also came from Paris, with no travel connection to Somalia.
    And of course he is a US citizen.

The impression I have is not why he was detained, but why it took so long to clear him?