Former NSA director sides with Apple against anti-4th Amendment government overreach

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Feb 29, 2016.

1. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

It's interesting that he defends Apple's Cook against FBI's Comey in this particular case.

But don't be so lazy, man. Give us the punchline: as the writer of the piece noted, "Before you start hailing Hayden as a civil-libertarian hero, though, watch where he goes at the 6:30 mark".

That is where Hayden says "BUT.. " and proceeds to remind us that when faced with Congressional refusal to let government have the Clipper chip, the NSA's solution was to go for global metadata collection, get more computing power and work around higher levels of encryption.

2. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Listening to him interviewed on KQED Forum today, he also defended Obama's extrajudicial assassination of American citizens so he's certainly not perfect on civil liberties. However, in the back door case he's correct. I met him at Bad Aibling Station some years ago. He reminded me of a little Elmer Fudd.

3. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

YESSSSSSS !

(he comes off as wrapped pretty tight, almost scary sometimes)

4. Tech198, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016

Tech198 macrumors G4

its even more interesting that he used to work at the NSA.

and look at that "Michael Hayden" the same guy who also works with the NSA as *national secrets should be kept a secret and classified*.... type of person

The last person I would have expected to side with Apple and agree to something other than something the government insiders takes... It's a shame the guy didn't have brains about the PRISM program though..

5. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Uhhh national secrets should remain classified.

6. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Hillary would disagree.

7. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Only when it's convenient for her but I'm sure if it was one of her staff they be hung by the neck until dead