Former President Jimmy Carter lives in a $167,000 house and shops at the Dollar General

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ericgtr12, Apr 22, 2019.

1. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

They don't get more down to earth than this. He may not have been the best president, even though he had little control over the economy at the time, he's probably the most down to earth man of the people who has ever served.

From CNBC

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

he also builds homes for the needed IIRC.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_&_Rosalynn_Carter_Work_Project

3. sean000, Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019

sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

Jimmy Carter is also a prime example of a good Christian. I am not a religious person, but I admire Jimmy Carter as a person and also as a Christian. He is also a fellow cyclist and Rivendell owner (as in Rivendell Bicycle Works), so we have that in common (in addition to our Southern roots).

I guess I gotta point out that a bicycle that cost thousands of dollars might seem counter to shopping at the Dollar General and living in a modestly priced home. I call it having solid priorities! :D

It's also worth noting that a lugged steel frame bicycle like a Rivendell will last for many decades and can be ridden by his children or grandchildren, and once you pay the initial price it costs very little to maintain. So yeah... I guess it still fits his modest lifestyle to occasionally invest in a quality item that will last a long time.

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

What everybody said I agree. Carter is a good guy.

Good guys make bad presidents.

5. raqball macrumors 68000

I always liked Carter.. Good for him if he wants to live a modest life...

6. retta283 macrumors 6502a

retta283

Carter is great. Classical Christian who lives a small life, even if he could live in a 100 million dollar one... Too bad his presidency was riddled with problems. I guess @Peace is right, good guys make bad presidents...

7. vrDrew macrumors 65816

That's an interesting hypothesis.

I hope it's not true. In fact, I don't think it is.

Abraham Lincoln was - at least from what I know about him - a good guy. He supported and loved a woman who, by all accounts, was very difficult. Lincoln was a loving father to his children. A loyal friend. And a reliable and faithful servant to those he worked for.

He was also a great President.

Teddy Roosevelt also, I think, was a good guy. Born into great wealth and privilege, he also dedicated his life to making his country a great place.

I think Ronald Reagan and Franklin Roosevelt were also "good guys." They might, like all of us, had occasional personal failings. But there was no petty personal meanness and animosities in them.

And I think Barack Obama was, and is, a good guy. My mother, who was as different from Obama in race, gender, age, and class as it was possible to be - said of him that he was the most gentlemanly man she could remember as President. To take a look at Obama with children - in the Oval Office, at the White House Seder, or at the home of a British Prince - you cannot fake the genuine affection and goodness in the man. And you certainly can't con little kids on that score. Even if they have no idea what the man's job title was.

[​IMG]

John Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson? Richard Nixon? Those are tougher calls.

8. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

I'll never understand why Carter==bad, Reagan==good in terms of presidents.

Carter's problems were really bad luck, failures of past presidents hitting home and a future president sabotaging a hostage negotiation.

Reagan on the other hand started the "debt doesn't matter" BS which off course made things better in the short term and was lucky that the Soviets collapsed relatively peaceful instead of reacting in kind to his saber rattling nonsense.

9. H2SO4 macrumors 601

President Trump is a good guy also, I think he's just misunderstood by many on the left as he has money and status. It's a shame as he's done huge amounts for America.

10. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Donald Trump cheats at golf.

If there was nothing else about his personal behaviour (and, trust me, there is a lot) that alone would disqualify him from "good guy" status.

A "good guy" doesn't cheat at golf. He doesn't drive his cart on the green. And I hope I don't need to explain why driving a golf cart on the green isn't just a "no no" from an etiquette standpoint. It plain screws up the game for everyone else who might play on that course.

Golf isn't everything. It's not very important. But it's a window into a man's soul and to his character.

You are going to have to rationalise Trump's cheating (and bad manners) on the golf course with a claim of "good guy" status.

11. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I never had a problem with Carter as president. I felt he did just fine under the circumstances of the world at that time.

He has always walked the walk and not just paid lip service. I admire him greatly.

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

13. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Sorry, but this is absurd (and I apologize if you are just trying to be sarcastic, which is likely). I almost understand the rational behind those who support Trump because he advocates for positions they support. I cannot understand anyone who doesn’t see that he’s an amoral reprobate.

14. Zenithal macrumors 604

I don't get it either. He's the boogeyman some in my party whinge about; coastal elites who've never worked a 'real' job. Who have had every opportunity thrown their way. I don't think libs envy him. That would be setting the bar pretty low.

15. H2SO4 macrumors 601

I actually was thinking two things;
    1. Nobody would take me seriously.
    2. A trump supporter would put forward a reasoned argument as to why they may agree.

For the record, I think Donald Trump is a clown and the worst thing to happen to first world Politics in living memory.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 23, 2019 ---
    See above......

16. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

We once had a former SS man as Kanzler.....

Did I just Godwin this thread:oops:

17. H2SO4 macrumors 601

I should probably have said my living memory.

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Still don't understand the problem, policy wise. Previous guy made a world mess with Syria, Libya, Egypt, Turkey... let alone Dubya... but Trump who has done absolutely nothing except a few tweets and trying to get out of Afghanistan without initiating any new conflict or para-conflict is that bad?

19. H2SO4 macrumors 601

If you still don't understand the problem buddy, you likely never will. This coming from a Uk resident that has absolutely no dog in this fight.

20. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

No, I am waiting for a real problem to happen (for example, US troops involvement in Venezuela). So far, nothing happened. Literally, nothing of note that involves the US happened since January 2017 (*).

(*) I could say that the Trump-Kim meeting was of note, but I consider it to early to judge it other than a nice step in the right direction, which is a minimal thing.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

politicians OUTSIDE the U.S don't count :p

22. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

He may have not (yet) started a war, but his support for some of the worst dictators while picking fights with allies will eventually come around to bite the US in a hard way (and whoever is in charge than will surely be blamed).

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

sure hope so, perhaps we would NOT engage in endless stupidity if we had to go at it alone

24. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

There is really no fight other than some trade issue with allies (if you refer to NATO, you certainly know that NATO itself is happy). As for dictators, the US really has two choices: engage with them militarily, engage with them diplomatically.

25. H2SO4 macrumors 601

Honestly, I really don't have enough keyboard batteries to explain the mess he has made of the justice system and the dishonesty that he is and has been involved in and that surrounds almost everything he touches. The lies he openly tells whilst serving in the highest office and how that encourages similar behaviour in politics in general across the globe.
    The Kim thing wasn't of note at all, was a publicity stunt.

What a despicable human.

(My keyboard is USB).