Former Representative William Jefferson (D) Convicted of Taking Bribes

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ucfgrad93, Aug 5, 2009.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Buh-bye scumbag.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32305195/ns/politics-more_politics?GT1=43001

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

*clap* Any politician caught in bribery/scam should be locked away for life. You are a trusted representative to your people who swore an oath, that means you should pay dearly for breaking that trust.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

4. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I believe the representative from Alaska was caught not too long ago with cash in his freezer and I believe he is a republican. Don't be fooled into thinking dirty politicians follow party lines. They are on both sides no doubt and probably more common than what anyone would believe.

6. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Unfortunately, you are correct.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Right, because there are no corrupt republicans :rolleyes:

And your avatar shows you have know knowledge of what communism actually is. Go try living in a real communist country for awhile, you'll soon be begging to come back to the US under an Obama administration.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

According to Fox News there aren't ;).

9. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Agreed.

Not only was he corrupt politician, he was a dumbass corrupt politician. He deserved to be caught and thrown in prison.

10. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Corruption in Louisiana?

I'm shocked and dismayed...

11. Desertrat macrumors newbie

There's no doubt that corruption is a bi-partisan thing. What gets to me is how little the voting public seems to care.

Years ago, Sheriff M. J. "Doc" Daffin, of Bay County, Florida was impeached and removed from office. After the next election, the local newspaper had two front page articles. One lauded their reporter for his Pulitzer Prize for having exposed Daffin's corruption. The other reported Daffin's re-election as sheriff.

I guess it was a case of, "Yeah, he's a crook, but he's OUR crook!"

'Rat

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The public should really bring back the stocks with some fresh produce close by.

13. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Wasn't it Ellcee (spelling?) Hastings who was impeached from a federal judgeship for corruption? He's now a U.S. Rep (D, Fla).

Stevens of Alaska, Rostenkowski of Illinois. Gotta give the Justice Department some credit, anyhow.

If there is any particular difference between parties, these last forty or fifty years, it seems as though the Republicans are a bit more subtle about it. :) Not quite like the Daley machine, for example...

14. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Desertrat

Ah! This is a great point. Having lived in Chicago, the San Jose, then Chicago, I can say this:

San Jose seemed so obsessed with rooting out corruption, they never got anything done. Whereas in Chicago, sure, there is nepotism and such, but at least Richard Daley's motivation is (largely) FOR the city, not so much to line his own pockets.

A good compare/contrast may be Richard M. (King) Daley vs. Rod (You're too stupid to work here) Blagojevich.

I hate the fact this is endemic, but in this case, I'll take the proper motivation over self-interest any day.

I feel the overall point is that in order to be a politician of any prominence, there is going to be corruption, sorry. There is always 'wheeling and dealing' to get elected. The metrics are both how deep some go, and why.

15. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

wow, a politician in america was corrupt?

in other breaking news today, the sky is blue, and grass is green.

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I think we need stiffer laws if proven to be corrupt and taking brides in public office.

My list of things that should be required at least.

1.) mandatory life time ban from ALL public offices or government employment. All future position for work must in no way be eligible to deal with the government

2.) 10-20 year Jail time.
    3.) Felony charges
    4. ) huge fines that effectually would bankrupt any one who tries it. Pretty much take everything they own and give it back to the people.

Sounds extreme but people in those offices have huge power that effects millions of people.

17. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Fresh? Where's the fun in that? :(

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Hmm, good point, there is a trade off between the hardness of ripe produce that would definitely hurt and the smell of rotten produce that would linger.

19. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Too bad it took so long.

Fortunately he didn't win his seat again, though I think he did even after the freezer evidence surfaced. However it over shadows the most arrogant moves of Congress when they attempted to stop/impede the investigation.

20. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Damn those politicians and their brides. Their corruption is sickening, yet unsurprising.

SLC

21. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Haha, nice catch. :D

22. Desertrat macrumors newbie

patrikObrien, your San Jose example is not unique, nor are the results.

I guess it's fair to say that a really smart crook is not overly greedy, and stays bought. The Daley machine has become egregious in its greed and it policies have generally become more for the continuance of power rather than the good of the city. That's the commentary I'm reading from people who either live there or live nearby.

Nothing new, of course. I worked for Chevy in Detroit, back 47 years ago, when the UAW and the Teamsters* pretty much controlled the city. Ah, Jimmy Hoffa, wherefore art thou? :)

'Rat

* Corruption can be fun to watch. A Teamster commented to me, "Sure, Hoffa's stealing fifteen bucks a week offa me. But what the hell, he doubled my paycheck." Well, $15 a week times the number of Teamsters means money you must invest. So, the teamsters built "The Castaways" restaurant and motel on A1A between Miami and Fort Lauderdale. It was intended as a tax write-off and a place union officials and friends could escape from their wives for a weekend, and take their secretaries. Unfortunately, it became a Miami Mafia hangout, so many locals also went to watch gangsters at play.

Tax write-off? Nope. Incredibly profitable. Had to pay a bunch of income tax. :D

23. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

No kidding. Louisiana may be one of the few states to rival Illinois. In Louisiana, politics is a spectator sport.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Edwards