former Saints DE Will Smith shot to death over fender bender

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by copykris, Apr 9, 2016.

1. copykris macrumors 6502a

copykris

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

3. copykris thread starter macrumors 6502a

copykris

4. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I'll wait for the whole story to come out. Maybe Mr. Smith threatened the life of his killer... You never know. Needless to say let's be honest, I wouldn't expect much less from a driver of an H2 :p

Sounds like an argument that with a gun present or not could have ended poorly. Could have just as well been a knife, some brass knuckles, a crossbow, golfclub, tire iron, a baseball bat, or a 6000lb Hummer H2.

I think the greater societal problem is people's value of materialism over regard for humanity.

5. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Or not be confrontational.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

How should you handle someone rear ending you? It's hard to avoid confrontation unless they apologise.

7. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Devolution seems real. :(

8. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Get out, see if they're OK, call police, get accident documented, contact insurance company[?]

(... and this is coming from someone who +loves+ cars ...)

Er, or was that an ass joke :D

9. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

When I was 18 a guy (late 20's) rear ended my car, at the time a few year old Jeep Grand Cherokee. He had a Subaru Outback. I was stopped at a red light. He broke the plastic bumper cover on my car and the styrofoam bumper insert and on my car. The Subaru had some damage to her front end- bumper, grill, radiator, and hood. We were both fine physically.

I got out of the car, checked on him. He rambled on about how he was distracted and the damage to his car and didn't say "I'm sorry" until probably 5 minutes into the conversation. He seemed more concerned about his car than anything, which is understandable. The cops came and wrote a report and we exchanged information and that was it. My car was inspected the same day- $600 worth of damage. I don't believe we even made a formal claim to our insurance given the deductible was $500.

I could have jumped out the car yelling and screaming but I didn't. Accidents happen, no one was hurt, and that's why God invented insurance. It's annoying to deal with but nothing permanent. I don't imagine it's too hard to handle a situation like this civilly, even without verbal attacks. Maybe I'm just an easy going guy? It takes A LOT to get a rise out of me. I've never been in a physical fight in my life. Some people are just reactive and violent. Impulsivity is an excellent catylist for crime.

10. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I'll wait for more details.

Yet sadly, it brings to mind the sad state of the NFL, it's uber cutthroat operation, where "professional" athlete's live the diamond encrusted thug life, sans any personal limits or responsibility.

I have an unusually close intimate inside view of the league. It's not pretty. And it's declining rapidly. Stay tuned.

11. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

What I see is a guy rear ends someone, a confrontational 6'3 283 lb giant get out of a Benz and is confrontational. Smith had been partying in the French Quarter. Reports state that that he had some "words" with the guy. It's also strange that the "thug" that shot him waited for the police and stated that he had shot him.

I'd really like to see the BAC reports, and the details of what really happened.

I know the guy was arrested, but I have somewhat of a difficult time believing that this was an out and out murder. I say somewhat because I have some problems with the wife getting shot.

Try putting yourself in the shoes of the guy driving the Hummer. You hit a Benz and a defensive lineman sized dude gets out that's been partying. If he comes at me and he's obnoxious, not sure of what I'd do. Hopefully they would back away before being shot.

12. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

"Batman and Robin Have An Altercation" by Stephen King.

Greatest road rage story ever.

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Reminds me of an accident I had just a few months ago.

I have an old '82 Ford F100 my dad gave me a couple years back that hasn't been doing anything but sitting in my driveway. It's not a bad little truck, but it needed some work. It was drivable, but the carburetor needed to be rebuilt, it needed new wheels, breaks, all kinds of little to moderate things that need tweaking and touching up to make it 100% reliable.

I'd drive it around the neighborhood once a week or so to make sure it doesn't molder on the driveway, but for the most part, it's just been sitting there, taking up space. I finally decided that if I'm going to have it around, I might as well be able to drive it, so I took it through the local shops, and started going through the motions of getting it the repair and tune up work it needed.

...and it was this decision, this fateful decision, that lead me to having one of the stupidest fender benders ever.

When it happened, I had just got the truck back from getting new tires and breaks not even a week before. It made the whole truck drive entirely differently. While before I'd have to press the break pedal down a bit to get some stopping force, now I could just glance at it, and it'd lock the rear wheels up, squealing the tires, and blowing smoke on the pavement from the vaporized rubber.

To cut an already too long story short, I decide to take it out for a spin one dreary November day. While I'm out, it starts raining. Hard. I'm on a busy road near the mall, clipping along at a decent 35. Just fast enough.

Those of you who can put two and two together can probably see what I'm leading up to.

I get one of those awkward yellow lights where you're too far away to coast through it, but close enough that you have to hit the breaks to stop in time. GUESS WHAT I DID? Yup. Hit the breaks. Cars were stopping in front of me anyway, so I didn't have much of a choice.

The moment I hit the pedal, I knew things weren't going to turn out well. I could hear the *SHHHHHH* of locked wheels skidding on wet pavement. The truck started wavering on the road. I take the foot off the break and reapply it in the hopes that'd arrest the slide, and give me back control, but I hit the break too hard. My rear wheels locked right back up again, and I started fishtailing. I knew there was nothing I could do except hope I don't kill someone or die myself in the inevitable crash. I look forward, and see myself calming drifting calmly towards this little beige car that just happened to be unfortunate enough to in that particular spot on the road at that worst possible moment.

I see him cringe right before I hit him.

POW!

I jerk forward. He jerks to the right. We stare at each other through two sets of windows. Fortunately, the accident happened at such a slow pace, no one could've been hurt unless they were standing outside the vehicle. The only real injury was my pride.

Can't say the same thing about the car, though. After we pantomimed at each other, and eventually settled on parking our respective vehicles, rather than taking up space on the road, we got to inspect the damage. My truck was fine. Maybe the slightest dent on the chrome on my bumper, but nothing more. His little car? Caved in the drivers side quarterpanel. It damaged it just enough that it pinned the drivers side door shut. He had to get out of the car from the passenger side door.

They really don't make 'em like they used to.

So how did we handle it? Pretty amiably, actually. He mentioned that he moved into town a couple weeks back, and I told him a good fender bender is just our way of welcoming him to the area, since people drive for crap around here. We call a cop, get him to witness, we explain our sides (I let him go first, so I can hear him say he's uninjured on the official report before I do anything like admitting fault), and life went on. I didn't even get a ticket.

My insurance rate went up $5, and no one was shot. It was good stuff.

14. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Yeah, as I alluded to in my first post, I'm waiting for all the details of the story to surface before passing judgement either way. I believe people have the right to defend themselves if necessary, but most places have pretty strict guidelines on what is permissible.

My point was whether it was the H2 guy or the Football player that instigated the altercation, I just don't think it's necessary to start such altercations over something as meaningless as a fender bender.

15. FieldingMellish, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016

FieldingMellish Suspended

The facts need to come in. But Louis CK had some insightful views on the changes that occur to people when behind the wheel.

In a way, partly serious in contemplation of comedy about the human condition, the dehumanization taking place can be considered akin to that in preparing soldiers to dispatch an enemy.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I suppose the only time I hit someone I apologised etc but the other guy acted like a tosser. Funny how he was much older too.

That said what I meant to say but expressed very badly was that you need to be confrontational/assertive enough not to take the blame.

17. sim667 macrumors 65816

In the UK you never apologise as it's taken for an admission of guilt and the insurance companies are meant to do decide on that.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That's probably true in America too.

19. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I had a woman crack into the right side of my car. Apparently Portillo's is extremely important to her so she tried to make a left hand turn from the outermost right hand lane and t-bone me (we were both heading northbound). I was pissed, not because the damage to my car, but because someone that stupid is actually allowed to be behind the wheel. I got out and started yelling something to the effect of her "fat ass really being in need of a hot dog and malt that bad that the rest of us be damned". She was one of these people you see crammed into a ford focus, all 275+lbs of her, with her daughter who's also on the fast track to hypertension and heart disease. She didn't get out of the car until the cops came. lol

20. vrDrew macrumors 65816

According to the news reports I've read, Will Smith (the former NFL player) was found slumped over the steering wheel of his vehicle.

If true, that certainly leads me to doubt the "self-defense" claim. Smith may have been physically imposing. He might have been verbally angry and abusive. But its pretty hard to believe that a guy sitting behind the wheel of his car is on the brink of physically attacking you.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

what if he pretended to have a gun? any found in the vehicle?

22. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Have you ever tried to shoot someone in a vehicle directly behind you, while sitting in the drivers seat of your own car?

You can't. The angles are all wrong. Even if you twist around to the left, and reach out the drivers' side window, you'll find the shot blocked by the C-pillar of your own car.

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I am in CA, I have considered doing it a few times :eek:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

straight back is possible, problem is trying to keep control of the car while you aim back. recline your seat as far back as it goes, now you CAN turn & aim , twist to the right .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. vrDrew, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016

vrDrew macrumors 65816

A few weeks ago, I noticed this pimped-out black Mercedes at an auto-repair shop near me.
    IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

When I looked a little closer, I saw it had what could only be bullet holes in the hood and windshield. I went inside and asked the guy who owns the place about the vehicle and its (obviously) checkered past.

Turns out that the windshield and firewall make it pretty much impossible for any handgun round to pierce the passenger compartment of a modern automobile from the front.

Just consider this a handy FYI the next time you are thinking of escalating a little road-rage incident.

25. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

That Louis C.K. bit is one of his best.

A few years ago, I'm waiting at a red light after picking my son up from school. Just as the light turns green, I hear this tiny voice say: "Alright, let's go already!"

He nailed the tone and cadence, and I knew exactly who said it.

My wife.