Former Senior Google Executive Says ‘If You Truly Care About Great Photography, You Own an iPhone’

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by akash.nu, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

2. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

3. harlenmm77 macrumors 6502

I think Samsung cameras can take better pictures, but overall the camera in the iPhone is easier to get a better picture with.

4. noobinator macrumors 601

I wonder if a FORMER Google exec just has sour grapes?

5. Newtons Apple, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017

Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Rooster.jpeg If you really care about photography, you own and use a DSLR!

My 7+ is very nice but it does not produce detail like this.

Excuse my feet!

6. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

"Care About Great Photography"

Lets examine that statement.

#1. The vast majority of phone users do not.
    #2. The vast majority of iPhone or Galaxy users care about a Good Selfie picture taker. Thats it. Snapchat and Instragram App Software and Filters handle the rest.
    #3. The Pictures that say SHOT on iPhone are Fake News. Just look.
    https://petapixel.com/2017/06/30/truth-shot-iphone-style-ads/
    #4. The best Camera is the one you have with you at the time period.
    #5. Or just buy a $100 Nikon Pocket Camera and it will be 1000 times better than any cellphone camera.
    #6. Mostly the article talks about Software photo analysis and software optimization. Because thats what cellphone camera size limitations force upon them.
    #7. Look at any one of a hundred Side by Side Comparisons on Youtube iPhone 7 Plus vs Galaxy S8 Plus or Google Pixel and its either no difference in real world use or the Pixel or S8 Plus come out on top.
    #8. Mr. Gundorta left Google in 2014 in the last 3 Years, Image processing has advanced to where he would not even know what they are doing now in 2017.

7. iObama macrumors 6502

iObama

...or you use a Pixel, one of the best smartphone cameras on the market? lol

8. michael9891 macrumors 6502a

Camera phones will never replace a DSLR with a top quality lens. They don't cost 10x as much for no reason.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I agree and my camera equipment sees less and less use each year. Cameras in phones have changed the photo hardware industry and not for the good. New cameras and lenses are far and few between.

10. michael9891 macrumors 6502a

Camera phones take great pics nowadays and I take a few thousand each year, much more than my DSLR. Because my iPhone is always with me. But I could never go on holiday and leave it behind.

Anyone who thinks a smartphone can take almost as good pics as something like a 5D mark iv paired with a prime lens needs a good talking to!

11. nviz22 macrumors 68040

nviz22

I am not technical when it comes towards cameras, but a smartphone camera incentivizes me not to buy a DSLR because I don't have a need to capture photos with such precision.

12. I7guy, Aug 2, 2017

I7guy macrumors G5

#3 nothing fake about using an iPhone to capture the image augmented with "pro equipment and software". Dont people take pictures and manipulate them with photoshop?
    #7 s8 is prone to color shifting and over saturation and renders certain scenes inferior to the iPhone. So as long as your scene doesn't show any of those aberrations you are good to go and can have the impression the S8 comes out on top.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

95% of the time my iPhone does quite well for all of my photographic needs. I use what is always on me and that is my phone. Carrying a full size DSLR and lenses is a huge commitment. Do not want to carry it with you all day and worry about leaving it in the car. So it stay at home locked up in the "technology closet" most the time, where it is safe.

iPhones take GREAT images.

14. nviz22 macrumors 68040

nviz22

The only time I thought a DSLR was great to use was when my cousin brought his with him to the Rocky Mountains when I vacationed in around Banff, Alberta, Canada last year. When visiting scenic lakes, it captured amazing images.

Ironically, I used a 6S Plus to take photos more than a S7 Edge when I carried both at the time.

15. fathergll, Aug 2, 2017

fathergll macrumors 6502a

This has nothing to to with iPhones. Smartphones are extremely relevant photography tools because you have them at all times. This is what makes them the most widely used cameras on the planet. Traditionally they are just fix lens cameras they offer decent performance in a lot of situations. Thats it. You're not going to dump your Phase One cameras with leaf shutter lens to shoot a fashion add campaign with them. You're also not going to dump your 8x10 film camera to produce giant prints from landscape photography with them.

It's not rocket science. They are relevant because you always have them.

16. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

If you *truly* care you're not using a phone for photography. It's great for what it is but even my 2010 compact camera takes better pics.

17. Dented macrumors 6502a

Agreed. I love photography, and I really appreciate having a usable camera with me all the time for snaps, but 99 times out of a hundred if I really want to take pictures I'll make the effort and carry my Fuji mirrorless with me.

The difference from a big sensor and quality lenses (not to mention the proper controls and shooting experience) is always worth it, IF you really care about photography.