Former White House Press Secretary James Brady has Died at Age 73

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ucfgrad93, Aug 4, 2014.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Not to troll, but you have to wonder how the NRA and other gun activists are taking this news. I mean, Reagan's assassination attempt and the Brady bill were the sparks for the entire gun control debate going on to this day.

BL.

3. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It is a shame that he was so badly injured due to Hinckley's assassination attempt. Talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sadly, we still don't have an efficient way of keeping guns out of the hands of mentally ill people.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Reading minds has eluded people for millennia.

5. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Well, other than keeping them out of the hands of everyone, of course...

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So you're suggesting banning all guns?

7. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

"a shame" ? Not how I would put it. Sure hope Jodi Foster has pangs of guilt over all this :rolleyes:

8. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Not necessarily, simply saying that would be an efficient way to keep them out of the hands of crazy people.

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Looks like Hinckley may be looking at jail time after all.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...cide-DC-Medical-Examiner-Rules-270522411.html

BL.

10. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

11. pdjudd macrumors 601

I was going to post that last night but that is pretty much the case. Going after Hinckley is a moot point even if they wanted to simply because he likely would not be mentally competent to stand trial, much less get a conviction against any charge against him.

Last I heard he is still locked up in a mental facility with limited unsupervised visits (I think he has to be tracked via GPS and these visits can be revoked if he violates conditions placed on him.

This Washington Postarticle summarizes things nicely:

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I see. But here's the interesting part, which an interesting precedent may be set.

If the murder/attempted murder charge is not subject to the statute of limitations, when Gabby Gifford dies, Jarred Loughner would be equally charged with homicide, the same way Hinckley was. And if he was competent to stand trial, he'll have years added on from the homicide charge he'd get from Giffords.

BL.

13. pdjudd macrumors 601

It would have to be murder, attempted murder (AFIK) has a statute of limitations.

Assuming of course that her death is the result of said homicide and is the ruled so that way by the coroner. Big if./

Another big if. However Jared is already serving a life sentence (he was declared competent to stand trial and actually pled guilty. I doubt that they will bother trying him for murder unless they want to go for the death penalty.

Here is the cite:

So I doubt that this will have any precedent for this matter. Jared was never declared unfit to stand trial at any point and they already have 19 counts that he pled guilty to.

14. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Mental illness can be diagnosed by licensed and trained clinicians. So in theory, we do have the technology to "screen out" mentally ill people from acquiring guns or whatever. However, the NRA lobby is way too influential in DC, which means it will be an uphill battle to implement the above screening process.