Fort Lauderdale shooting in the name of ISIS

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yaxomoxay, Jan 17, 2017.

1. 5684697, Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

the guy was nuts.

3. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

I knew it! The official religion of peace strikes again, like clockwork.

4. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Yeah, but ISIS has an extremely long application and vetting process before they allow you to claim violence in their name and it’s impossible to lie about it. They are pretty much the ivy league of religious extremists and wouldn’t tolerate any random nut job claiming allegiance or affiliation. Nope. They demand the highest of sound mind and pedigree.

5. unlinked macrumors 6502a

"ISIS has not claimed responsibility for the January 6 attack at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport."

Do they not generally claim responsibility for everything?

6. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Its kind of like Trump isn't going to claim responsibility for every ***** that gets grabbed but we know he's cool with it.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I don't know, not all kitties are the same so he MIGHT have some standard :eek:

8. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

You are absolutely right and he would probably spend a lot of time disassociating himself from “cow tippers” via twitter.

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

10. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

That some in the FBI are pretty damn incompetent?

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Maybe. Do you or anyone know if this guy had a carry license? Does it make you ponder why some liberal groups would like to see all firearms registered? No, I did not say banned. ;)

12. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

He was living in Alaska, permits aren't required there.

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

maybe they should be.

14. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Depending on how they worked his domestic battery charge he should have been excluded from firearm ownership via the Lautenberg amendment. So while we know that he broke the law multiple times at the airport, it's possible he broke another with owning a firearm under disability.

15. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Step 1 in qualifying for your Get Out of Jail Free card: Convince authorities that you're nuts before committing a heinous crime
    Step 2: Commit a crime that's so awful that most descriptions of it will include words like "insane", "crazy", "evil" etc.
    Step 3: There is no step 3.

Congratulations! You've Gotten Out of Jail Free!

16. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Florida if given the chance is going to put him down.

17. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Mental health concerns

Eisenberg thinks it is likely that prosecutors will seek the death penalty for Santiago because they have evidence he killed multiple victims, those victims would be considered vulnerable because of their ages, and because Santiago told investigators he planned the murders and took a flight to Fort Lauderdale to carry out his plan.

"If they don't seek the death penalty, it will be because of his history of mental health problems, the fact that he is a veteran who served in Iraq — we [society] treat veterans differently — and he went to the government looking for help with his problems before the crime," Eisenberg said.

It's not yet clear if federal prosecutors would negotiate a plea agreement that would avoid a trial and guarantee multiple life terms in prison for Santiago, lawyers said.

And insanity defenses almost never get suspects acquitted, the experts said.

Former U.S. Attorney Jeff Sloman, who is now in private practice, said an initial review of what is publicly known about Santiago suggests the aggravating factors — what lawyers call the reasons for seeking death — seem to slightly outweigh the mitigating factors, or reasons not to seek death.

"But I don't think they will seek death because of what we know so far about his mental health problems," Sloman said.

18. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Our new Capital Punishment is to toss the offender to this fellow:

[​IMG]

19. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Release Croc! I saw that video but how big is that thing supposed to be? That picture and the video throws off size because of the people being so far back. Like how wide is that cut grass area?

20. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

My guess is 9-11feet.

Not small, but nowhere near the limit of their size.

Look at his height compared to the grass on the sides, then look at the grass next to the people in the background.

21. D.T., Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017

D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

It's a f***ing dinosaur. :D I saw some estimates putting it at/over 12 feet, and with that girth I'd imagine 650-700 lbs (there have been some Indominus rex sized gators that pushed 1000 lbs ...)

I like how nonchalant he was strolling across that path :)

Yeah, I'd figure about 10-ish on the lower side based on the several videos (and estimating some scale from people in the background). There was a _large_ one at a local golf course that mostly just minded it's own business, but it was eventually relocated after scaring some golfing tourists :D

22. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I liked how the future Darwin recipients had no problem standing so close to a wild gator.

23. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I don't know about Gators much, but they don't strike me as overly aggressive.

In Darwin, Australia we had a day of swimming at Berry Springs. It was dry season so the monsoons hadn't flooded the jungle to the point that the Salt Water Crocs could get into the springs, but there were freshies in there. Signs said if we kept our distance they would be highly unlikely to attack. That wasn't reassurance enough for me, I mostly stayed out of the water.